Ganguly should open in World Cup: Vengsarkar

King

Ganguly should open in World Cup: Vengsarkar New Delhi: Chief cricket selector Dilip Vengsarkar has said Sourav Ganguly should open the innings at World Cup and that "there was no question of Sachin Tendulkar being dropped." "I only have to say that if you see Ganguly, he played very well at Nagpur and he is going for opening. I hope that he will do even better. For the World Cup, I feel that he should open because he is a good opening batsman," Vengsarkar said. "Sourav can always score runs and grind the bowling also at the same time. He can also play a good attacking game. I do hope that he will play very well at the World Cup also," the former Indian captain said. Ganguly made 98 at Nagpur against the West Indies last week, his first one-dayer in more than 15 months. The 'Prince of Kolkata' had earlier made a successful return to the Test side on the tour of South Africa, emerging as the highest run getter for the Indians. Vengsarkar said Tendulkar, who broke a lean patch with a half-century in third ODI in Chennai yesterday, was perhaps struggling to match his own expectations. "I want to tell you that he is one of the best cricketers in the world," he said in an interview to BBC Hindi.

Re: Ganguly should open in World Cup: Vengsarkar I didn't know the selectors decide to choose the batting order :shrug: I think Vengsarkar is as bad as Chappell with regards to attention seeking. Every day he makes a statement, I think he should shut up for a while and do his job as a selector. The selectors should only be giving interviews after a team is selected and that's about it.

Re: Ganguly should open in World Cup: Vengsarkar Straightfoward as it comes. He knows he is the boss and makes sure everyone (Guruji especially) knows that. He is better than More. At least he is telling Guruji that he won't stand for any nonsense. Guruji should be COACHING only - no team selection, no deciding of the batting order etc. He wants Ganguly in the ODI team and opening. He won't stand for any experimentation from guruji regarding Ganguly's batting position and simply telling him that he wants Ganguly batting as an open. :wtg: I also think Temdulkar should be opening. He has alway been good as opener - it is DEFINETLY a mistake not to open with Tendulkar but who listens to me anyway.

Re: Ganguly should open in World Cup: Vengsarkar I think the plan is to bat Sachin down the order in this and/or SL series. come WC and I think Sachin and Dada will be given the responsibility to open. If not then Sachin being the VC should take the matters in his own hands :wtg:

Re: Ganguly should open in World Cup: Vengsarkar

were u sleeping when he was scoring runs in south africa
That was only in the test matches. Agreed he was the best test batsmen during that series , but how would that cement his place in the ODI as a opener. He needs to be the opener in the remaining ODI's and if he performs well , then and only then he should be made to open in WC.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Ganguly should open in World Cup: Vengsarkar well he has got hiz mojo backl and that's enough he doesn;t need to start afresh like some debutant he has fastest 10000 runs to show for in his resume