Why just 16?

This is a basic question. Why do we send only 16 players on a tour overseas? Why not send (say) 20 players - dont need to take any marginal decision now and regret later That way u dont have to search for net bowlers etc If you feel on the practice pitches someone is looking good - draft him in.. What are the cons? 1. Cost for more hotel rooms and flight tickets can't think of any other negatives?:dontknow: basically i want sehwag to go to Aus :D

ICC rule? I thought the boards decide that and not ICC? In WC07 and other ICC tournaments it is decided by ICC. For bilateral series I dont think ICC will care? Online: I support sending 4 more players just in case to Aus. However no sehwag in that 4 - hehe...useless form he is in right now!

Its never good to send too many people on a tour, because you dont want like 5 or 10 reserves sitting in a dressing room doing nothing when they could be scoring, or taking wickets, in domestic cricket. You select your best 15 or 16 or whatever, because you feel those 16 can do the job, and you stick by them. Remember, in case of injuries you can call up people.

Remember' date=' in case of injuries you can call up people.[/quote'] I would rather have them as backup right there because: 1. They are used to the conditions - imagine a guy coming in after a domestic match at the kotla to play at the WACA :D 2. I dont see any loss in 3/4 guys not playing domestic cricket. For all you knw, they will go home and sleep and watch the Aussie tour from the comfort of their cozy bed. So looks like money is the only reason we dont send 20+ ppl
I would rather have them as backup right there because: 1. They are used to the conditions - imagine a guy coming in after a domestic match at the kotla to play at the WACA :D 2. I dont see any loss in 3/4 guys not playing domestic cricket. For all you knw, they will go home and sleep and watch the Aussie tour from the comfort of their cozy bed. So looks like money is the only reason we dont send 20+ ppl
1. I dont see how that is any worse than having someone who has been sitting in the dressing room for a few weeks coming out to play on the WACA. 2. No team sends that many people on tour . Also, what makes you think they wont be playing domestic cricket ... they have contracts to play, the matches are on , and they arent in the national squad ... they have no reason not to play. If we send like 25 people down we are sending 2 messages : * We dont have enough confidence in the main batch that we need several reserves in place * Our selectors cant choose a squad Imagine what the openers must feel like if they know they have 8 reserve openers on tour aswell. LOL. The way I see it, it is a tour, you select your best 16 ... they have had months to do so ... select whoever you want in your 16, and stick by them. It is a statement that you have shown confidence in these 16 players to do the job on this tour. Sending 30 men over is quite pointless, because you will have 11 playing and 19 in the dressing rooms just sitting there.

Squad size rules are only for ICC tournaments. In principle, we can send any size a squad we want for bilateral series. But what's the purpose? There have been exceptional cases in which the squad size has been increased/decreased a bit and there is always the option of flying someone in if really needed. XVI is more than enough normally as it gives you the option of a backup middle order batsman, reserve opener, reserve wicketkeeper, and a couple of reserve bowlers. Not sure if you want more.

I know but I feel anything above 17 or so is too much, for 2 reasons: * It shows that you don't have enough confidence in your core squad that you are anticipating poor form. Whether it occurs or not is a different story, but when you have 7 or 8 reserves sitting there it is too much. A big part of performing well as a group is showing confidence in your ability, and when you select 8-10 reserves then you are telling the main players that you dont have confidence in their ability to get the job done. * A player sitting in the dressing room as a reserve could be overshadowed by a domestic cricketer and then not be considered for the next tour. I reckon take 1 or 2 back up openers, 1 back-up middle order, 1 back-up spinner, and 1 or 2 back-up pacemen. That is all.