Top Ten Batsmen of all time

Re: Top Ten Batsmen of all time

That is a good list Predator. Sutcliffe was unlucky to miss out for mine' date=' and I might put him in around #9-#10 but I wanted to get Gavaskar in there as he was one of the most successful opening batsmen in history.[/quote'] Yeah i see what you mean, 'cos i ditched Hammond for Gavaskar. Sutcliffe is always overlooked, maybe since people aren't aware of the significance of some of his achievements. He has got the 5th highest average of all time (60 something) and throughout his test career, it never fell below 60 ! Absolutely mindboggling. Scored sh*tloads against the legendary Aussie teams of the 20's. At one point - after a period of 4 years, he was averaging as high as 80 but then a slump set in. He is easily the most prolific batsman of his generation, after Bradman.

Re: Top Ten Batsmen of all time

Allan Border? As a player maybe' date=' but as a pure batter?[/quote'] Sure. Why not ? He carried the Aussie batting lineup for years - both as player, and as a captain. Often walked in with the score reading 2/25 or something. Similar to Tendulkar in the 90's. Check out the scorecards of Australia's tuor to the WI back in '84. Australia were destroyed, but Border scored 521 runs at 74 against the most fearsome and incisive bowling attack in the history of the game - Holding, Marshall and Garner. He averages well over 50 IN WI, and unlike Sunil Gavaskar he always scored against their best bowlers.