Now Sania Mirza is world no.1 in doubles

Cricketics

This is brilliant. She realized early that she can be a good doubles player after failing to do decent in singles, and took doubles full time. Now she has been brilliant and everyone seems to be wanting to be her partner. Recently she is on a winning stream of over 20 games with Martina Hingis and have won 2 big tournaments in a row. World no. 1 is really big considering womens field in doubles is really competitive. Well done to her.

This is brilliant. She realized early that she can be a good doubles player after failing to do decent in singles, and took doubles full time. Now she has been brilliant and everyone seems to be wanting to be her partner. Recently she is on a winning stream of over 20 games with Martina Hingis and have won 2 big tournaments in a row. World no. 1 is really big considering womens field in doubles is really competitive. Well done to her.
She didn't realize that she can be good in doubles. She realized that she can be no good in singles. I am much more appreciative of Paes and Bhupathi as they were never world class in Singles nor had talent to be. So they made optimal use of their talent through hard work and rose to become top doubles players in world. But in case of Sania Mirza that is not the case. She had enough talent to be top 10 or singles player. Her forehand was one of the best on the circuit. She was ranked 33 very early in her career (at the same time when jelena jankovic was 32) but she decided not to fight hard. I agree there were recurring injuries but that happens with all the players. Instead of fighting it hard she chose to take easier route of doubles. I don't think there is much to celebrate in her doubles ranking.

but she decided not to fight hard. I agree there were recurring injuries but that happens with all the players. Instead of fighting it hard she chose to take easier route of doubles. .
she was not taught tennis the right way in sub par conditions...she had to be highly innovative and enterprising to overcome such deep rooted weakness...that she was not ability to learn and tennis intelligence are things we cannot quantify never able to come with a decent serve..i was never convinced of her mental strength and makeup as well.. in more traditional tennis country,she may have got the guidance but in ours the best we have is ramanathan and Vijay...someone going to the top 10 has to be a pioneer and highly intelligent person who has the toughness and will to over come all barriers. ramnathan and yuki have all received good guidance..may be the next great hope can get more timely guidance and proves more dynamic

Good for her but I want an Indian to do well in singles.
That's really a pipe dream though. Chinese win a truck load of medals in Olympics and they havent produced a tennis player who has done well in singles. Indians struggle to win a single gold in Olympics. This is a fantastic achievement when you consider that. Saina Nehwal's No.1 ranking is another great accomplishment.