India's 600 Record

Dhondy

Prior to this match, India has scored 600 on 15 occasions. They have won on only 6 of those occasions, a return that's inferior to most of her competitors. This is how the teams have fared. The numerator indicates matches won. No side has ever lost after putting up 600, so the remainder represents drawn games. South Africa- 7/8 (87.5%) Sri Lanka- 5/6 (83.3%) Australia- 23/28 (82.1%) England- 7/15 (46.7%) West Indies- 8/18 (44.4%) India- 6/15 (40%) Pakistan- 4/13 (30.8%) New Zealand- 0/2 (0%) This is the 16th occasion that India have scored 600, a tally that compares favourably with all bar Australia and West Indies. However, it's quite clear that only a minority of those mammoth innings have translated into victory in her case.

From the stats, we can see that teams have won 50 times, out of the 105 times they have registered more than 600, which gives a win % of around 45. India's is 40, which is just below the overall average. Whether a team can win after posting 600 depends hugely on the wickets and bowling attack. Off the top of my head, I can recollect 3 occasions when India crossed this landmark and couldnt force a victory - Against Aus at Sydney in 2003/4, Against Eng in the third test in of the series that was played last summer and the second test against Pak in the ongoing series. On all the three occasions, I wouldnt say we were short of time. We had 100+ overs to bowl the batting side out, but couldnt manage it. And more pertinently, the 2001 Kolkata test has really put some doubts on the captains on the merits of enforcing the follow-on. Most teams, including Aus, nowadays prefer to bat once again and bowl last. That has given teams a chance at hanging on for a draw.

Prior to this match, India has scored 600 on 15 occasions. They have won on only 6 of those occasions, a return that's inferior to most of her competitors. This is how the teams have fared. The numerator indicates matches won. No side has ever lost after putting up 600, so the remainder represents drawn games. South Africa- 7/8 (87.5%) Sri Lanka- 5/6 (83.3%) Australia- 23/28 (82.1%) England- 7/15 (46.7%) West Indies- 8/18 (44.4%) India- 6/15 (40%) Pakistan- 4/13 (30.8%) New Zealand- 0/2 (0%) This is the 16th occasion that India have scored 600, a tally that compares favourably with all bar Australia and West Indies. However, it's quite clear that only a minority of those mammoth innings have translated into victory in her case.
Ok that's the only thing i was interested in:D
May be the poor percentage has to do more with the patta nature of the tracks' date=' in which 600 is more probable ? The highest % victories secured by SA & [b']SL, presumably came on their home turfs(?), where batting is relatively difficult.
You are kidding, right?
I guess I will have to do it all solo .... well so be it.
Not necessarily, Boss. One thing an Indian forum has is a huge number of tech savvy people. Let's make a call for help here on these forums, and see if we can get a lift-off with this mother of all projects.
From the stats, we can see that teams have won 50 times, out of the 105 times they have registered more than 600, which gives a win % of around 45. India's is 40, which is just below the overall average. Whether a team can win after posting 600 depends hugely on the wickets and bowling attack. Off the top of my head, I can recollect 3 occasions when India crossed this landmark and couldnt force a victory - Against Aus at Sydney in 2003/4, Against Eng in the third test in of the series that was played last summer and the second test against Pak in the ongoing series. On all the three occasions, I wouldnt say we were short of time. We had 100+ overs to bowl the batting side out, but couldnt manage it. And more pertinently, the 2001 Kolkata test has really put some doubts on the captains on the merits of enforcing the follow-on. Most teams, including Aus, nowadays prefer to bat once again and bowl last. That has given teams a chance at hanging on for a draw.
if memory serves me right, did we not notch up a 600 (on the back of another jaffer special) in the west indies? the second or the third test if i recall correctly. and had it not been for a whole day that was lost to the weather, we might have forced a result then. rather convincingly too!
all that could mean is it was a flat track
thats not quite the point... if you score more that 500 on a pitch, the pitch is almost certainly a belter. sheer talent or ability help attain a 400 odd score on a tedious pitch, but anything in excess of 500 has to be a combination of pitch and ability (the sole exception being the minefield on which Laxman and Dravid ascended to a higher echelon of cricket and plundered mcgrath, gillespie and warne...). it is not fair on your part to dismiss such a performance on the basis of the pitch alone and thus, give credit where it is due. in australia, we lost out due to a few controversial decisions on day 5, but it was anothe instance where we came back from 84-3 to a position of signficant strength...
if memory serves me right' date=' did we not notch up a 600 (on the back of another jaffer special) in the west indies? the second or the third test if i recall correctly. and had it not been for a whole day that was lost to the weather, we might have forced a result then. rather convincingly too![/quote'] Hmmm, those exams are in some jeopardy, methinks. It wasn't 600 and it wasn't Jaffer. The day lost was in the Test that Sehwag went ballistic. We got to 588. Jaffer did score a double in the Test preceding this one, at Antigua. West Indies escaped by the skin of their teeth on the last day, 9 wickets down. On that occasion we got around 520.

I would say the blame lies on our toothless attack. All the games in which we scored over 600 and failed to win(cept the SL game in which they scored 940), from my memory, have been wickets which while werent bowling tracks, werent entirely batting tracks either. And in most of them we have ample overs to get the opposition out but we dont. Add to this,the cowardly act of not enforcing follow on, in the last few years.