Jonathan trott retires from international cricket!!!

England batsman Jonathan Trott has retired from international cricket. The 34-year-old returned to the Test side for the tour of the West Indies, 18 months after leaving the Ashes tour with a stress-related illness, but managed only 72 runs in six innings. "This was a tough decision but I don't feel my game is at the level needed to play for England," said Trott. "I was honoured to come back and play international cricket again and I'm disappointed that it didn't work out.." He played in two more successful Ashes campaigns and was named the International Cricket Council player of the year in 2011. "I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me and given me the chance to represent England and to thank supporters for all their backing over the years," added Trott. "I also want to wish the lads all the very best for what will be an incredibly exciting summer. "I've had incredible highs and some real lows in an England shirt but wouldn't change a thing. I look forward to continuing my career at Warwickshire and hopefully helping us win more silverware." http://m.bbc.com/sport/cricket/32585475

I knew it was coming. As soon as Windies won the third test, they showed bit of celebration from Blackwood-Ramdin and then they started showing Alistar Cook's face and Trott's dejection. You could make it out that Trott is really hurt by the defeat and he has taken the defeat all upon himself as if he is the only one to blame. Had a feeling this would bring a lot of pressure from media onto him before Ashes, and he did the right thing by announcing retirement to ensure no drama in the squad selection is done.

writing was on the wall even if england would have won that final test. basically what he has done is secure his future by guaranteeing the next 4-5 seasons with his county without distractions. He is only 34 and probably will get about £120,000 at his county where he has a stellar record. Its a secure pay job. Good batter but will be remembered for being dismantled by Johnson

An inevitable decision but sad considering how well he started off his career and was a very reliable member of England's batting lineup for quite a bit. That Ashes series in Australia was the waterloo for KP, Trott, Swann and Flower. Back to back Ashes just months apart was a bad idea and the mentally fragile England team just crumbled under the pressure. The team has looked like crap ever since.

An inevitable decision but sad considering how well he started off his career and was a very reliable member of England's batting lineup for quite a bit. That Ashes series in Australia was the waterloo for KP' date=' Trott, Swann and Flower. Back to back Ashes just months apart was a bad idea and the mentally fragile England team just crumbled under the pressure. The team has looked like crap ever since.[/quote'] Yeah,back to back Ashes was the main reason... Such a high profile tournament for both the countries and pressure of maintaining win over Aussies pushed them hard..
What is with England and these mental stress related illnesses? Is the pressure of playing for England so great that players don't even enjoy playing the sport?
The pressure is indeed enormous playing at that level. Long ago I remember reading an interview with Imran Khan. When asked about the pressures of playing for his nation, he said that it was phenomenal and he needed plenty of pills to sleep every night. He also said that lesser mortals would not cope with that pressure and would burn out and fade away very quickly. Even the so called FTBs and trundlers we often laugh at, have enormous mental capacity just because of the fact that they can play and survive at that level. Trott is somewhat of an exception, he chickened out after reaching a high level (since he reached that level, he must have been mentally strong to begin with), but we don't see this often because most mentally challenged players never make it to that level, and even if they do they disappear very quickly. When we say that some players are mentally weak, it is only with respect to the high standard expected of that level. Most of them are heads and shoulders above the common man in this respect.

In his days, He was one of the best test batsman Africa has ever lended to any country. Unlike his team mates he seemed to have a balanced head and gentleman of the game. Dont remember any controversy down to him. I just hope that it wasnt KP, Strauss, Barbie, Moores, Crook,ECB all during last Ashes that screwed his brain.