Batting woes, are they solved?

King

I know the performances at home have been brilliant over the year and should be taken with a pinch of salt. That said the batting is slowly falling in place thanks to some tough decisions such as bringing back Ganguly, getting rid of Sehwag for a while. Now with Rahul, Ganguly and Tendulkar forming the nucleus of the batting the batting jigsaw seems have started to fall in place. The first best thing they did was to drop Sehwag for now. Robin and Ganguly have done good job as openers and I think this pair should continue to do the job. While the 3 top ODI batters in Tendulkar, Ganguly and Rahul continue to use their experience in good style the 2nd tier of batters Sehwag, Yuvraj, Dhoni, and Utappa should be able to chip in well enough. Pathan, Karthik can be the all rounders or the ones to contribute additionally with the bat. India has to go with Utappa, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Rahul, Yuvraj, Sehwag, Dhoni and Karthik in the batting ranks. It is a good mix of youth, experience, solidity and flamboyance. I just think India may have pretty zeroed in on the batting part of the WC squad.

Re: Batting woes, are they solved?

I know the performances at home have been brilliant over the year and should be taken with a pinch of salt. That said the batting is slowly falling in place thanks to some tough decisions such as bringing back Ganguly, getting rid of Sehwag for a while. Now with Rahul, Ganguly and Tendulkar forming the nucleus of the batting the batting jigsaw seems have started to fall in place. The first best thing they did was to drop Sehwag for now. Robin and Ganguly have done good job as openers and I think this pair should continue to do the job. While the 3 top ODI batters in Tendulkar, Ganguly and Rahul continue to use their experience in good style the 2nd tier of batters Sehwag, Yuvraj, Dhoni, and Utappa should be able to chip in well enough. Pathan, Karthik can be the all rounders or the ones to contribute additionally with the bat. India has to go with Utappa, Ganguly, Tendulkar, Rahul, Yuvraj, Sehwag, Dhoni and Karthik in the batting ranks. It is a good mix of youth, experience, solidity and flamboyance. I just think India may have pretty zeroed in on the batting part of the WC squad.
Thats pretty much the batting line-up India will go with in the WC. But I'm still concerned about Yuvraj's form. He hasn't proved himself while batting. I'm quite sure that Sehwag will come back strong. But can you trust Uthappa for the major tournament as WC? He hasn't batted vs tough bowlers as yet. What if he gets bounced out by Ntini or Lee or Shoaib or Bond or whoever capable? So few concerns still remain which we hope will be solved in the coming 4 matches. Bowling is still a worry on flat tracks, especially if the opposition is batting first. And we've gone backwards in fielding.

Re: Batting woes, are they solved? I think it is best to go with a young flashy opener. In the past it has shown players like this can excel. Greatbatch, Jayasuriya, Kalu, Srikanth were all not technically the best and were pre dominantly front foot players but they did well enough thanks to their eye hand ability. Robin is no different, he relies on his bat speed and aggressive batting which can offset the bowlers a little bit. Sometimes quicker the ball comes quicker it goes with such kind of batters. Moreover Robin has been in good form for a while so my choice would be Robin surely. Yuvraj is capable enough and will find form soon. He was one of the better batters last time around when India visited West Indies. His knock in the second ODI against WI was one of the best I have witnessed. There are still about 4 ODIs for him to find his feet anyways. The WC squad is going to be announced after the first 2 ODIs and I think there won't be too many surprises.

Re: Batting woes, are they solved? someone get yuvraj some match batting practice please. Make him open or whatever but get him to bat. The top three are firing already we need him to get back to form before the WC starts. btw between pathan and kartik who would one choose as a batsman on merit only ?? :huh: