Tribute to Steve and Mark Waugh on 50th birthday

Tribute to Steve and Mark Waugh on 50th birthday  

1. 1.

• Steve Waugh
    • Mark Waugh

50 years ago, on June 2nd,Mark and Steve were born.The phenomenan of twin brothers is a rarity in cricket, let alone both twin brothers being great players. On their 50 th birthday cricket fans remember the greatness bestowed by the 2 twins as few twins have ever done in the history of sport .The Steve-Mark Waugh twin brother combination had an incomparable impact in cricket history .50 years ago, on June 2nd,Mark and Steve were born. Today ,on their 50th birthday we remember 2 of finest batsmen to have set foot on the cricket field. Comparing Steve and Mark is like comparing chalk with Cheese. Mark was an extremely elegant batsmen possessing a classical touch of his very own. Mark was the equivalent of David Gower or ZaheerAbbas of his era. His strokes were reminiscent of the touches of a painters brush and dealt with a cricket ball like a mother caressing her child. He would send the best of deliveries scuttling over the fence. Mark’s batting had the creativity of a poet and the flourish of a lotus blooming. Mark carried his willow like a magic wand. Mark was master of pure pace bowling and could master the likes of Wasim Akram ,Courtney Walsh or Curtly Ambrose. On fast pitch against the bouncing ball at his best he could if not better, match Lara and Tendulkar.His drives and cuts against sheer pace were authentic. He could bisect the most impregnable of fields . In full flow whether cutting driving or pulling his batting he looked like driving a Rolls Royce car. Few batsmen ever could take the blowing to the sword and yet posess the grace of the divine like Mark. Mark scored138 not out in his debut test against England in 1991 making a sensational start to his career. Amongts his great innings were a masterly 139 at Antigua in 1990-91 against a great pace bowling attack, a classical 126 at Kingston in 1995 in a 231 run partnership with brother Steve , a match-winning 116 on wearing wicket at Durban in 1997 in the 4th innings, exactly 100 on a wicket turning square at Sydney in 1997-89 against South Africa. And 153 not out at Bangalore in 1998.These 4 innings revealed his great class. Above all he won all 5 games for his country. At Durban and Sydney he exhibited mastery on bad wickets bating with the skill of a surgeon. His Durban 116 was one of test cricket’s classics in a winning run-chase. On a treacherous wicket Mark combined the skill of an architect with the imagination of an artist,flaying the ball al over the field. His drives ,cuts or pull shots against great pace bowlers like Alan Donald were a revelation .His unbeaten 153 at Bangalore was one of the best exhibitions of batting by an overseas batsmen in India.He beautifuall came down the wicket to drive the spinners like Anil Kumble and Harbhajan Singh.Mark even scored a masterly unbeaten 121 at Adelaide to save the test for his side. In the 1996 world cup he was the first batsmen to register 3 centuries in a world cup. From aesthetic value I classed Mark’s batting a shade ahead of Tendulkar’s in the 1996 world cup if you asses strokeplay,innovation and technique. His 173 against West Indies in an O.D.I.at home was a classic innings like the onslaught of a tanker on the enemy. I also will never forget his unbeaten 116 in the 2nd O.D.I.of the seven match series in South Africa where he took the bowling by the sword to the shreds. In certain series he overshadowed his more prolific brother Steve, like in the home series against South Africa in 1997-98 ,against West Indies at home in 1996-97 ,against India i India in 1997-98 His best batting in a test series was against South Africa in 1997-98 when he averaged over 70 against a great Proteas pace attack. Statistically to me Mark Waugh’s final average of 41.83 did not do justice to his ability. On his day he could join the Tendulkar’s or Lara’s .Sobers,Gavaskar or even Viv Richards in 1996 classed Mark with Lara and Sachin.In interviews Viv and Gary in 1996 rated Mark above Steve. Mark would rank amongst the players with the best natural ability or flair like Brian Lara or Viv Richards or amongst the most elegant or artistic like David Gower or Frank Worrell. I would never hesitate to class Mark as a truly ‘great’ and better O.D.I.batsmen than brother Steve. Few batsmen were more innovative or combined domination with such gifted artistry as Mark in one day cricket. Amongst the batsmen who averaged less than 50 in test cricket Mark would be close to the top just shaded by the likes of Kanhai, Harvey or Crowe. In many ways Mark resembled Colin Cowdrey who did not do complete justice to his talent .Only Bradman,Trumper and Harvey arguably possessed more natural talent amongst Australian batsmen. To me no post-war Australian batsman was as elegant as Mark Waugh. Overall I thought Mark tackled pure pace better than brother Steve .At his best to me Mark was a better match-winner than brother Steve who did not posess Mark’s creativity. At his best Mark’s flair would overshadow Steve’s clinical precision. It is ironic that Mark’s highest score is only 153.It may reflect that he hardly cared for records. Batting stylists like Mohammad Azharrudin,Zaheer Abbas,Vishwanath,David Gower,Frank Worrel or even Ted Dexter had double hundreds to their name. For a period in the 1990’s Mark would certainly have made the world test or even one day xi.He was also a proeficient medium-pacer and a master slip fieldsman. I have not seen few cricketers fielding better in the slips than Mark who pulled of slip catches like picking a child from the ground. However inconsistency and lack-adaisical attitude at times arguably e prevented Mark from getting the tag of ‘truly great’. However on his day he was a ‘great’ player. Steve Waugh did not posess Mark’s natural ability yet was a master in adapting himself in all types of conditions against all types of bowling attacks. His batting combined the grammar of an English professor with the technical skill of a surgeon and the courage of a soldier. He was master in analyzing and overpowering his opponents. Steve resembled a railway train chugging itself in the most treacherous conditions. Steve was like a Javed Miandad of his day, perhaps a more refined version.Rahul Dravid was technically better, Brian Lara and Sachin Tendulkar more talented and mercurial but when the chips were down Steve edged them all. He was reminiscent of a chess player reading the weakness of his opponent.. Few cricketers weathered a storm or resurrected their side from the grave as Steve Waugh. Steve was like a soldier and technician moulded into one. Few sportsman ever were blessed with better temperament. He possessed an element of adaptability in treacherous conditions as few batsmen ever possessed. He was one of the best -ever batsmen on bad wickets. SteveWaugh started his career as an all-rounder who could turn games with both bat and ball. The best illustration of his all-round abilities were depicted in the 1987 Reliance World cup, when he scored an unbeaten 69 in the semi-final versus Pakistan and captured crucial wickets in the final against England in the closing stages to win the game. In England in 1989 he revealed his great batting prowess for the 1st time when he averaged over 92.His unbeaten 177 and 152 were batting classics on green tops of England. He simply relished the English seamers like eating a chocolate cake, mastering the seaming conditions. Above all it regained the Ashes for Australia who won their first Ashes series in England sine 1975-76.He lost form from 1990 and was dropped in 1990-91 versus England and West Indies and later against India in 1991-92.Revealing Muhammad Ali style determination he came back spectacularly scoring a century at Sydney versus West Indies in 1992-93 and was again prolific in England in the 1993 Ashes averaging over 80.From then on his batting was an epitome of consistency. Steve Waugh made a meteoric rise in his batting performances in the 2nd half of his test career, which few batsmen have ever done in test history. He averaged over 78 and scored a double century against West Indies at Kingston in 1995 which enabled Australia to regain the Frank Worrel trophy after 16 years and become the first team to win a series in the Carribean since 1973.It was revelation witnessing Steve ‘s workmanlike approach in contrast to the flourish of brother Steve in a 231 run partnership. He also scored a classical unbeaten 63 on a bad wicket in the 3rd test which Australia lost. It was revelation witnessing Steve adapt to the pace and bounce of Ambrose,Walsh and Bishop and the fast wickets. He displayed his ability to master deteriorating pitches. In South Africa in 1997 he scored 2 centuries that helped his side win the series and the the unofficial test world championship contest. However his most memorable batting was in the 1999 world cup league encounter against South Africa. Australia faced a do –or –die situation and defeat would have cooked their goose and eliminated them from the world cup. Chasing a target of 272 to win Australia seemed to be heading for doom at 48-3 .However a spirited counter-attack by Ricky Ponting and Steve Waugh too them to 152 with 20 overs to go. At that juncture Herchelle Gibbs overconfidently spilled a sitter of Waugh which turned the fortunes towards Australia. Fittingly Waugh hit the final nail in the coffin to secure Australia a berth in the semi-final against South Africa again. To me, it was the best batting counter-attack in a run chase I have ever seen in a world cup. Steve possessed the grit and calculation of a great military commander resurrecting his battalion from the grave. I have never seen a knock in one day cricket played so appropriately to the situation faced or witnessed a great innings better timed. It was the most methodical of one day International innings .He played the perfect shot for every ball .Few innings have been played better in the mind in the history of the game or have better illustrated how much the game is played in the mind. It was lesson for any batsmen in any O.D.I.run chase. In Delhi in 1996 he displayed mastery when scoring an unbeaten 63 on a pitch turning square. Steve was like a surgeon tackling a patient considered incurable. What was fascinating was that earlier Steve was not as adept against fast bowling as the best players. However he worked out his drawbacks and re-instated the hook shot in his batting armoury. Few batsmen wore so workman like or transformed their game to such an extent. In many ways Steve’s determination reminded you of fast bowling great,Dennis Lillee Few batsmen ever made such technical adaptations to their batting style or batted so much in accordance to the given situation..Steve in 1999 took over the mantle of captaincy and took Australia to becoming one of the most dominating champion sin the history of test cricket as though he was building an empire.Australia won a record 16 tests in arrow but lost their unbeaten streak in India. Losing in India in 2001 goes against Australia being rated above Clive Lloyd’s West Indian team .Steve Waugh’s ice-cool temperament and mental tenacity in the most adverse of situations played a major factor as well as his ability to understand his players. However although statistically a giant wining 41 out of 57 tests I do not rate Steve on par with Ian Chappell,Mark Taylor,Mike Brearley or Clive Lloyd as a captain or tactician. Steve inherited a great team moulded by Mark Taylor. Steve Waugh, statistically ranks with the all-time greats even if he lacked the flourish of a Viv Richards .In the 2nd half of his career he averaged over 56.5 ,scored 27 centuries and scored over 8300 runs .Steve would be classed with champions in a crisis like Javed Miandad, Alan Border,Ian Chappell.etc.He possessed the mental tenacity of these stalwarts who all overshadowed more talented batsmen in their heyday. In tests and O.D.1’ s Steve would overshadow Sachin and Lara in a crisis. Remember how Ian Chappell overshadowed brother Greg in a crisis. In an all-time xi Steve could make the no5 slot challenging Javed Miandad,Alan Border etc.Steve had a phenomenal average in matches won and when scoring hundreds but again played for a great team. On seaming English tops Steve would overshadow Greg Chappell and Ricky Ponting. Amongst Australian cricketers Steve would rank in my book only below Bradman ,Lillee,Trumper, Mcgrath,,Lindwall ,Greg Chappell and Ricky Ponting and arguably Ian Chappell or Alan Border are ahead. I place Steve neck to neck with Javed Miandad and Alan Border. One weakness of Steve that he did not perform relatively as well in 4th innings which is strange.Considering his impact as a skipper he may just nose them. However I feel both of them faced stronger opposition than Waugh. I place Steve neck to neck with Javed Miandad and Alan Border. Considering his impact as a skipper he may just nose them. However I feel both of them faced stronger opposition than Waugh. Phenomenal consistency and outstanding ability in a crisis put Steve Waugh in the club of ‘truly great’ batsmen of all time. I think Steve and Mark Waugh rolled into one may well make the perfect test batsmen. The elegance, artistry and innovative ability of Mark combined with the mental tenacity ,technical adaptability and solidity of Steve would fit all the ingredients of a cake. It is like an architect or surgeon merged with a poet or musician.Few great batsmen let alone brothers have had such contrasting styles. STEVE WAUGHS BATTING STATISTICS Highest Test batting averages in wins (Qual: 4000 runs) Batsman Tests Runs Average 100s/ 50s Don Bradman 30 4813 130.08 23/ 4 Inzamam-ul-Haq 49 4690 78.16 17/ 20 Kumar Sangakkara 42 4282 76.46 15/ 15 Steve Waugh 86 6460 69.46 25/ 25 Sachin Tendulkar 59 5393 69.14 20/ 20 Rahul Dravid 51 4557 65.10 12/ 22 Graeme Smith 44 4086 63.84 15/ 14 Mahela Jayawardene 49 4200 63.63 14/ 14 Jacques Kallis 68 5390 62.67 18/ 26 Ricky Ponting 98 8314 60.24 28/ 36 Forty-one of those 86 wins came during Waugh's captaincy, which makes him the second-most successful captain in terms of number of victories, after Ricky Ponting, who has 47. In terms of the win-loss ratio, though, Waugh is right on top: Australia lost only nine of the 57 matches in which he led, giving him a win-loss ratio of 4.55, which is the highest among those who captained in at least 25 matches. (Mike Brearley is next with 18 wins and four defeats.) Lowest averages in fourth innings of Tests (Qual: 500 runs Batsman Innings Runs Average 100s/ 50s Steve Waugh 31 613 25.54 0/ 2 Marcus Trescothick 33 678 26.07 1/ 2 Virender Sehwag 25 570 27.14 0/ 4 Stephen Fleming 29 709 28.36 0/ 6 Dilip Vengsarkar 25 613 29.19 1/ 3 A Test career of two parts Period Tests Runs Average 100s/ 50s Wickets Average Till Dec 1992 46 2166 36.10 3/ 13 46 44.47 Jan 1993 onwards 122 8761 56.88 29/ 37 46 30.41 Career 168 10,927 51.06 32/ 50 92 37.44 Best Test batsmen between Jan 1 1993 and Jan 6 2004 Batsman Tests Runs Average 100s/ 50s Sachin Tendulkar 91 8180 61.50 28/ 33 Rahul Dravid 75 6546 57.42 16/ 32 Steve Waugh 122 8761 56.88 29/ 37 Ricky Ponting 75 5821 55.97 20/ 21 Brian Lara 97 8873 53.77 24/ 40 Jacques Kallis 75 5356 52.00 14/ 27 Inzamam-ul-Haq 87 6614 51.27 18/ 35