"Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill"

audioman

Re: "Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill" There is nothing new in the article Audioman. To be honest there would always be a set of Indians who would think of Sachin as someone bigger than "mere mortal". And there would always be a second lot who would see Sachin as a cricket player, a truly great player but still a mortal human being. The author is right on the money about how even educated folks fall for the "patriotism" bandwagon. Somehow a player who plays for his country(and gets paid for his services) become a signs of "role-model" etc. There is nothing wrong in him becoming a cricketer role-model but a role-model for all Indians? We sure got our priorities wrong some place. Why isn't an Indian who say moves to USA for his career. Becomes his own man, cooks his own meal, has a healthy lifestyle and is able to survive in a foreign land with no relatives or friends become a role-model? Look around you shall find too many of them everywhere. Sachin is a great player. Actually he was a great player. Today he is good. But in the end he is a player and just that. xxxx

Re: "Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill"

The author is right on the money about how even educated folks fall for the "patriotism" bandwagon. Somehow a player who plays for his country(and gets paid for his services) become a signs of "role-model" etc. There is nothing wrong in him becoming a cricketer role-model but a role-model for all Indians? We sure got our priorities wrong some place.
Absolutely, that part of the article was what I really liked. Cricket is just a form of entertainment, like going to the movies.

Tell that to the aussies and their hero worship of warne and the yanks with their herp worship of Jordan. I could go on and on.
There is no comparison. Jordan and Warne are regarded as greats in their country but they are not as reverred as Sachin is. Period. Ever heard of Jordan not able to step out from his home for the fear he would be mobbed? Ever heard of Warne not being able to take his kids to museum because it would essentially bring the museum to a stand-still? Compare this to Sachin who has to visit Sidhivinayak temple after closing hours, and even then paparazzi turns up to snap away. Warne, Jordan, Bradman etc might be given all the "flowery" tribute in articles(which incidentally Indian writers are not great at) but when it comes to real life tribute of treating a man as more than a mortal(and confuse that with "love and adulation") Indians have no peer. xxxx

Tell that to the aussies and their hero worship of warne and the yanks with their herp worship of Jordan. I could go on and on.
There is no comparison. Jordan and Warne are regarded as greats in their country but they are not as reverred as Sachin is. Period. Ever heard of Jordan not able to step out from his home for the fear he would be mobbed? Ever heard of Warne not being able to take his kids to museum because it would essentially bring the museum to a stand-still? Compare this to Sachin who has to visit Sidhivinayak temple after closing hours, and even then paparazzi turns up to snap away. Warne, Jordan, Bradman etc might be given all the "flowery" tribute in articles(which incidentally Indian writers are not great at) but when it comes to real life tribute of treating a man as more than a mortal(and confuse that with "love and adulation") Indians have no peer. xxxx
In india we show our adulation in very different ways to the west. They still hero worship Jordan and Warne in the west, just they show it a different way. Us indians like to display our appreciation in a more obvious way

Re: "Cricket Hero Worship - Take a Chill Pill" Lurker, it's true but isn't it a battle out there v.s other teams? It's not tendulkar's choice that he is playing for BCCI? The author has basically highlighted a point to enhance his article It's a sport, this is a sports website, tendulkar plays a sport..sport=competition, game It's funny how the author is comparing his tax to a sport which he loves himself and again may I remind everyone, it's not Sachin who is asking for the attention..he gets it from the media. What does everyone want, Sachin to do a press conference and say " hey I am going to play tomorrow, please don't mind If i get out early and hopefully the media won't attack me too " Everyone doesn't have the courage to take the pressure for so many years and entertain people, now paying tax is easy P.S Warne and Jordan don't live in India Also, Didn't anyone hear what the W.I fans call LARA .. Brian Jesus Charles Lara

Luker if you notice this man is not taking about the really average folks on the street ..... he is mostly talking about educated fans and starts off his rants as a reply to his fellow writer on the same site. Surely the fellow write would not bother waiting at the Siddi vinayak Temple at 2 in the morning to meet Tendlya ?
BB, I do not read much into pro and anti Sachin writers. As I have mentioned in my opening post there would always be two camps of people, broken by how they treat Sachin. But yes I certainly agree with the writer about how Indians, even educated Indians, feel(and express) their reverence towards cricket players. Forget Sachin even Ganguly has a Godlike following(remember how people were doing yagnas to bring him back in Indian team? only in India). As for the fellow writer showing up at Sidhivinayak temple I can only guess about that. My candid guess is that if Little Master shows up at our nearby temple, even at 2 am, there is a very good chance that every single person from our building complex would rush to see a glimpse of his/her God, even at 2 am, and no I am not talking about Lord Ganesha. xxx

It's funny how the author is comparing his tax to a sport which he loves himself and again may I remind everyone, it's not Sachin who is asking for the attention..he gets it from the media. What does everyone want, Sachin to do a press conference and say " hey I am going to play tomorrow, please don't mind If i get out early and hopefully the media won't attack me too "
Rajeev, Therein lies the catch. I bet if you asked Sachin he would say he would much rather not have this adulation. I am only guessing of course but what person would want to have success if he can not enjoy it? He earns millions but can not go out to have an ice-cream with kids. He is a simple man(a great thing about the man is his modesty, even after all these years) but he can not go for a liesurely walk down Marine Drive. These are nothing but trappings of success. And the only reason he faces them is because of the crazed fans. Media obviously has a part to play here but the question is that of chicken and egg. Does media feed people these news cos it wants it? Or do people force media to get such news? I suppose there is a mix of both, but probably more of the latter. I say that because Indians, even educated Indians, choose to ignore more important issues that face India than form of Sachin. A quick incident that comes to mind is when last year Infosys chairman NR Murthy/Azim Premji had complained about Infrastructure(or lack thereof) in Bangalore. Roads, International Airport etc. Ultimately NR Murthy was sorta humiliated and forced out. Pardon my cynicism but I do not recall seeing websites like REDIFF(from where the article is pulled) inundated with articles in support of a company, and issue, that concerns us all. Yet when it comes to Sachin just see how many such articles come out of nowhere. xxx