• Sampras-Agassi
    • Borg-McEnroe
    • Lendl-McEnroe
    • Evert-Navratilova
    • Graf-Seles
    • Graf-Navratilova
    • Venus-Serena
    • Other

Mine are: Women: Evert-Navratilova Easy peasy. 80 matches including 61 tournament finals :omg:. Staggering, no other tennis rivalry has or will have these many contests between 2 ATGs whose career paths collided at the same time. And it was a very narrow H2H, 43-37 in favor of Martina. In the beginning Evert dominated Martina like anything(23-6 in favor of Evert from 1973-78), then Martina adopted a grueling fitness regime that was unheard of that time in women's tennis. A beefed up Martina who was taught to hate Evert by her trainer :haha: went on to obliterate Evert for the next 6 years(at one point she had 15 straight victories over her rival) . Then Evert raised her game and fought back in the final years and their record in the last 3 years was only slightly in favor of Martina. It is amazing how both of them pushed each other to greater heights, without either of them the other wouldn't have been so great. Evert was better on clay, Martina on grass and they were roughly equal in hard/carpet. Both had different styles, Martina was all power and supreme athleticism while Evert's game was so feminine. Evert was USA's favorite girl while Martina wasn't that popular because of her foreign origins, personal life etc. With these two around other girls had no chance, Evonne Goolagong and especially Tracy Austin would have had much better numbers if not for these 2. Men: Sampras-Agassi What really got me into tennis in the first place was that epic SF between them in AO 2000. By that time both were past their prime but what a match that was !!! They met each other 34 times with Pete leading the H2H 20-14. What intrigued me about this rivalry was their contrasting styles and personalities. Sampras was the quiet, conservative looking champ with the big serve and volley game(and his overhead smash :hail:). Agassi was the flamboyant, rebellious punk with a great baseline game and probably the best return of serve the game has ever seen. Also both hated each other with gusto(valet tipping incident and other unflattering remarks from Agassi's autobiography, the awkward doubles exhibition match:haha: etc). They traded the no 1 spot over the years although Sampras dominated Agassi from 1995 till 1999 after which Agassi gave him more of a fight. Except those 4-5 years both were equal in their H2H and crossed swords in many finals. May be this rivalry is not the critic's choice for the no 1 spot but it holds a special place in my heart. After all Sampras will always be my favorite player and Agassi was someone whom I genuinely disliked. Overall: Evert-Navratilova hands down. Not just in tennis, but this epic duel must rank as the greatest rivalry in any individual sport, for certain among women's events.

A toss up between Sampras/Agassi and Nadal/Djoko. Nadal is comparable to Sampras in greatness ( slightly ahead) and Djoko is comparable to Agassi (just even, will surge ahead though eventually). But Nadal/Djoko has played more matches and rivalry is closer (23/21 at the moment). I have gone with Nadal/Djoko.

Its hard to choose between Graf vs Navartilova, Graf vs Seles. In Graf Martina games, if one of girl had any advantage on the day She wouldnt let go. Seles took the Women's game to next level when she competed with Graf, It was qualitatively a better encounter sadly Graf Seles didnt last long because of some stabbing incident. When Serena and venus came on to International arena, either of two girls could easily beat number British Number 1 and a regular Grand slam semifinalist Tim Henman. However Serena Venus was never a rivalry. It was a family affair. They were best players womens tennis to have ever produced. So Graf Navaratilova for me

Overall Nadal - Djokovic. Their battles are legendary. They played in so many finals and big matches. Just think about this year. What is the biggest match in terms of audience numbers around the world? It's Nadal - Djokovic. Their rivalary is one for the ages because of the ebbs and flows. One guy getting better, then the other then back to the other. Unlike most other rivalries, Djokovic - Nadal is very close in the H2H and will probably be like that when they both hang up their boots.

Its hard to choose between Graf vs Navartilova, Graf vs Seles. In Graf Martina games, if one of girl had any advantage on the day She wouldnt let go. Seles took the Women's game to next level when she competed with Graf, It was qualitatively a better encounter sadly Graf Seles didnt last long because of some stabbing incident. When Serena and venus came on to International arena, either of two girls could easily beat number British Number 1 and a regular Grand slam semifinalist Tim Henman.
MishraJi.. stop these katha-pravachans.. :hysterical::hysterical:. People at ICF are not that dumb. Read below, how Venus-Serena's claims of challenging male tennis players had gone. Serena beating Tim Henman easily.. lol. I wouldn't tell that kind of stories even to kids. They http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)
A fourth event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[29] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams, aged 17 and 16 respectively, had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked below 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park.[30] Braasch first took on Serena and beat her 6–1. He then played Venus and won 6–2.[31] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance." He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun."[32]
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/28/the-battle-of-the-sexes-is-back-serena-vs-the-men.html
Perhaps more pertinent, in 1998, Venus and Serena—just 17 and 16 years old, respectively—boasted that they could defeat men outside the ATP 200. German Karsten Braasch, then ranked No. 203, accepted the test in one-set exhibitions with each following their defeats at the Australian Open. The 31-year-old beat Serena, 6–1, and then Venus, 6–2, reportedly smoking a cigarette during the changeover.

MishraJi.. stop these katha-pravachans.. :hysterical::hysterical:. People at ICF are not that dumb. Read below, how Venus-Serena's claims of challenging male tennis players had gone. Serena beating Tim Henman easily.. lol. I wouldn't tell that kind of stories even to kids. They http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis) http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/28/the-battle-of-the-sexes-is-back-serena-vs-the-men.html
+1 No woman, no matter how great can ever dream of being competitive against an ATP top 300 player methinks.

MishraJi.. stop these katha-pravachans.. :hysterical::hysterical:. People at ICF are not that dumb. Read below, how Venus-Serena's claims of challenging male tennis players had gone. Serena beating Tim Henman easily.. lol. I wouldn't tell that kind of stories even to kids. They http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis) http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/28/the-battle-of-the-sexes-is-back-serena-vs-the-men.html
During 2003 Wimbledon, When British media was hyping Tim Henman to be first Englishman to win wimbledon in modern era, I and many others tennis viewers felt either sister will be as good as him or may be beat him. And it wasnt pub talk. We seriously felt that. PS:Your page isnt found but by the link it looks like written in 2013.

+1 No woman, no matter how great can ever dream of being competitive against an ATP top 300 player methinks.
There is a big gap now, between mens and women tennis and There was a big gap between two sexes before the two girls came. But for a small window, Serve speed and return speed and area they covered on court looked incredibly similar to mens tennis. But, all this was only when they played against each other. The two girls were too good. You got to watch them games in their early career, when they just won against anyone with so ease.

During 2003 Wimbledon, When British media was hyping Tim Henman to be first Englishman to win wimbledon in modern era, I and many others tennis viewers felt either sister will be as good as him or may be beat him. And it wasnt pub talk. We seriously felt that. PS:Your page isnt found but by the link it looks like written in 2013.
The link was missing a closing bracket after "(tennis"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_%28tennis%29

Mishra Ji.. band karo these plastic surgery kind of stories. Earlier you said
When Serena and venus came on to International arena, either of two girls could easily beat number British Number 1 and a regular Grand slam semifinalist Tim Henman
Now you say
During 2003 Wimbledon, When British media was hyping Tim Henman to be first Englishman to win wimbledon in modern era, I and many others tennis viewers felt either sister will be as good as him or may be beat him. And it wasnt pub talk. We seriously felt that.
Did you see the link which I posted. A man player beyond rank 200 dismissed both of them playing casually one by one? If you know Tennis a bit, you would realize how big a gap is there between men and women Tennis. If you had watched Serena's roland Garros SF, after watching either of Roland Garros SF (Tsonga-Wawrinka or Murray-Djoko) , you would have found that to be joke (in relative comparison) Serena/ Venus defeating Tim Henman at his top.. lol.. Mishra Ji..:hail:

Mishra Ji.. band karo these plastic surgery kind of stories. Earlier you said Now you say
Raghav, You looking into semantics. Substance lies in content. When Sachin came to international arena it took few years for him to start dominating the arena. News reached to cricket fans in some time. Graf-Seles werent there. why would anyone (outside regular western tennis fan base) watch nobody like Serena.
Did you see the link which I posted. A man player beyond rank 200 dismissed both of them playing casually one by one? If you know Tennis a bit, you would realize how big a gap is there between men and women Tennis.
That link does not say that when two sisters were winning both singles and doubles against all the established players, with a margin like 6-1 6-2, they were not good enough to compete/beat top men players at time. As a said, serve speed, area they covered on pitch, return speed all were brilliant. And they played singles semi final in evening and then doubles semifinal in morning and winning both comprehensively. For finals they played long games against each other in evening and then played doubles finals too. So endurance was there
If you had watched Serena's roland Garros SF, after watching either of Roland Garros SF (Tsonga-Wawrinka or Murray-Djoko) , you would have found that to be joke (in relative comparison) Serena/ Venus defeating Tim Henman at his top.. lol.. Mishra Ji..:hail:
Absolutely agree. As i said , there was a very small window when these girls were just as good as men. Even in that link of yours, Its mentioned that, in 2010, they felt like she could give tough competition to outside 100.

Serena wouldn't even be good enough to compete with someone ranked 3000 or 5000 in the world. Such is the gulf between male and female tennis players. If any of the top 100 men was brave enough to play Serena and play his best, which they usually don't in these battle of the sexes matches, then he would crush her 6-0 and 6-0. Do you think Serena could even take a point off someone like Darcis?

On 6/9/2015 at 9:10 AM, Gollum said:

Mine are: Women: Evert-Navratilova Easy peasy. 80 matches including 61 tournament finals :omg:. Staggering, no other tennis rivalry has or will have these many contests between 2 ATGs whose career paths collided at the same time. And it was a very narrow H2H, 43-37 in favor of Martina. In the beginning Evert dominated Martina like anything(23-6 in favor of Evert from 1973-78), then Martina adopted a grueling fitness regime that was unheard of that time in women's tennis. A beefed up Martina who was taught to hate Evert by her trainer :haha: went on to obliterate Evert for the next 6 years(at one point she had 15 straight victories over her rival) . Then Evert raised her game and fought back in the final years and their record in the last 3 years was only slightly in favor of Martina. It is amazing how both of them pushed each other to greater heights, without either of them the other wouldn't have been so great. Evert was better on clay, Martina on grass and they were roughly equal in hard/carpet. Both had different styles, Martina was all power and supreme athleticism while Evert's game was so feminine. Evert was USA's favorite girl while Martina wasn't that popular because of her foreign origins, personal life etc. With these two around other girls had no chance, Evonne Goolagong and especially Tracy Austin would have had much better numbers if not for these 2. Men: Sampras-Agassi What really got me into tennis in the first place was that epic SF between them in AO 2000. By that time both were past their prime but what a match that was !!! They met each other 34 times with Pete leading the H2H 20-14. What intrigued me about this rivalry was their contrasting styles and personalities. Sampras was the quiet, conservative looking champ with the big serve and volley game(and his overhead smash :hail:). Agassi was the flamboyant, rebellious punk with a great baseline game and probably the best return of serve the game has ever seen. Also both hated each other with gusto(valet tipping incident and other unflattering remarks from Agassi's autobiography, the awkward doubles exhibition match:haha: etc). They traded the no 1 spot over the years although Sampras dominated Agassi from 1995 till 1999 after which Agassi gave him more of a fight. Except those 4-5 years both were equal in their H2H and crossed swords in many finals. May be this rivalry is not the critic's choice for the no 1 spot but it holds a special place in my heart. After all Sampras will always be my favorite player and Agassi was someone whom I genuinely disliked. Overall: Evert-Navratilova hands down. Not just in tennis, but this epic duel must rank as the greatest rivalry in any individual sport, for certain among women's events.