Should ajinkya Rahane bat at 3?

He has the most solid technique in our team and he's missing out on easy runs batting at number 5 currently. My lineup for the future Vijay Dhawan/rahul Rahane Kohli Pujara/rohit Saha Ashwin Harbhajan (if he is selected) otherwise another batsman or shreyas Gopal as leggie Ishant Aaron Yadav

Jinx provides stability in the middle order like Laxman. Pujara at 3' date=' Kohli at 4 , Rahane at 5, "Dangerous when set(DWS)" at 6 if we play 6[/quote'] Completely agree with this. I don't think Pujara can play well with the tail as Rahane does. Rahane provides that stability to the late middle order. He scores fast too when required. Rohit is too inconsistent and will leave the lower middle order venerable. Rahane is doing incredibly well at the no 5 position and team is benefiting from it. Why are so many peepz so obsessed with personal records :facepalm: Rahane should get runs even if that leaves our batting venerable :facepalm:
Finally the guy has settled into a position and got into some runs. Why fix something that ain't broken? If Dhawan keeps scoring in SC then KL Rahul/Pujara can fight it out for the no.3
Exactly. He is settled, playing well and is now a vital cog in that Indian batting line up but no, people want him to get "some free runs" :facepalm:

Rahane has bailed the team out of trouble after a top order collapse quite a few times already. His work in the lower middle order has been invaluable. Unless we have someone we can totally bank on to bail us out of trouble batting at no. 5 or 6 we can't afford to have him moved out of position. We don't even have Dhoni lol. It's a bit hard on Rahane but him batting where he is currently is the best for the team.

Finally the guy has settled into a position and got into some runs. Why fix something that ain't broken? If Dhawan keeps scoring in SC then KL Rahul/Pujara can fight it out for the no.3
Exactly my point. Tinker the batting line-up around him, but leave him there. He tends to steady the innings from collapses and can counter attack well. For now, we should stick with Rohit at 3 at least for a couple more Tests, though for Rohit, no.6 seems like the ideal spot.

Pujara at 3, Kohli at 4, Rahane at 5 and Rohit at 6 should be the ideal batting line up. Also Rahane has played 21 innings at #5 at an average of 42 (http://howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerPositions.asp?PlayerID=3889) and looks settled there. No need to disturb the line up and have him adjust to batting at #3. Similar thing for Pujara. His record at #3 is very good (39 innings with an average of 49 http://www.howstat.com/cricket/statistics/players/PlayerPositions.asp?PlayerID=3826). No point in having him adjust to batting down the order.

our best batsman should be batting in top 3. it gives him more time to stabilize the innings. rohit at 3 is not suitable IMO. pujara is not good for long term prospects unless he can improve his overseas game. #3 is a vital position in test cricket. thats why dravid occupied it for so long for us and i don't see anyone but rahane as his successor
Rahane has bailed the team out of trouble after a top order collapse quite a few times already. His work in the lower middle order has been invaluable. Unless we have someone we can totally bank on to bail us out of trouble batting at no. 5 or 6 we can't afford to have him moved out of position. We don't even have Dhoni lol. It's a bit hard on Rahane but him batting where he is currently is the best for the team.
i disagree. his (rahane) brand of test cricket is meant for a number 3. he defends early on but also starts scoring at a high SR for us. this is required for us early on in the innings. it takes pressure off kohli and whoever bats at 5 presumingly.

My Batting Line up would be - 1. Vijay : No Question on him 2. Dhawan : I don't really rely on him but since he seems good at the moment, we don't have a ready replacement, only Leftie in the team, good in patches and can give quick starts so he seems ok for the time being but a replacement must be looked into. 3. Chepu : Outside SC / KL Rahul / Rohit : :nervous: / Some youngster 4. Rahane : I partially agree with OP and partly with others. He is definitely the best in test for us and should hold the best position, I don't think No. 3 is best for him and neither is No. 5, So I would go for No. 4. 5. Kohli : Normally soaks up pressure better then anyone, being a captain he can control things better from this position, when to accelerate, how to go ahead when there are some quick wickets. Having said that, he can also bat at no. 3 but that leaves the lower middle order quite weak. 6. Someone like Samson/KL Rahul - Any Good Keeper bat other than Saha. His keeping is quite good but I really doubt his batting skills and his age is 30+. (If I had to take some old player then I would have rather gone for DK / Parthiv having more experience, almost similar record in first class and being a left hander.) Then 5 bowlers.