Lalit Modi controversy

Tiger80

Whole non- issue is been blown out of proportion on assumption that every family member has close ties like that of Nehru-Gandhi family. Why shouldnt Lalit Modi be helped even if he has a ED case on him? Few years back, I remember Amitabh Bachchan had a heart attack or something and admitted to ICU and few days later Sonia ji sent some CBI/Revenue Officer to make him a visit in hospital. Since nothing is prooven in this case, why shouldnt Sushma help a Indian oversees? Should she allways make checks with various ministries when approached by a oversees Indian? Was the process followed?

BJP should give Raje a pass. Yes she has messed up in trusting Lalit Modi. But this is not a scam in a traditional sense. Politically the BJP can hang onto Raje. No elections in Rajasthan for three years and if they boot her out then they may as well kiss their chances in Rajasthan for next assembly goodbye. She is the BJP point person in Rajasthan. There will be pressure from the RSS to sack her and move her to the cabinet as they want their man Kataria (the current home minister) as CM. But i do hope Modi stands upto the RSS in this matter. It weakens Modi's position with a RSS if he backs down to their wishes. Already the RSS have flexed their muscles in Goa on who replaces Parikar. Give her a pass. This will blow over.

BJP should give Raje a pass. Yes she has messed up in trusting Lalit Modi. But this is not a scam in a traditional sense. Politically the BJP can hang onto Raje. No elections in Rajasthan for three years and if they boot her out then they may as well kiss their chances in Rajasthan for next assembly goodbye. She is the BJP point person in Rajasthan. There will be pressure from the RSS to sack her and move her to the cabinet as they want their man Kataria (the current home minister) as CM. But i do hope Modi stands upto the RSS in this matter. It weakens Modi's position with a RSS if he backs down to their wishes. Already the RSS have flexed their muscles in Goa on who replaces Parikar. Give her a pass. This will blow over.
Excuse me. How this is not a scam? Lalit Modi gave paid direct money, crores of rupees, to Vasundhara Raje's son (under very poor disguise of investing in that loss making company) and Vasundhara Raje helped him get and remain out of the country. What specific check box you need to be ticked to declare something as scam? Personally I would have liked if this had happened to one of the Modi's loyalist as I want anti-Modi group, within BJP, to remain a bit strong so that Modi doesn't get absolutely authority which will further encourage his dictatorial tendencies, but yet it is too messy for BJP to ignore. Sushma Swaraj was finally coming out of shadows of Modi and had started making her presence felt. In any case I don't think she should resign or charges are as serious against her as against Raje. I feel Raje has to go.

Excuse me. How this is not a scam? Lalit Modi gave paid direct money' date=' crores of rupees, to Vasundhara Raje's son (under very poor disguise of investing in that loss making company) and Vasundhara Raje helped him get and remain out of the country.[b'] What specific check box you need to be ticked to declare something as scam? Personally I would have liked if this had happened to one of the Modi's loyalist as I want anti-Modi group, within BJP, to remain a bit strong so that Modi doesn't get absolutely authority which will further encourage his dictatorial tendencies, but yet it is too messy for BJP to ignore. Sushma Swaraj was finally coming out of shadows of Modi and had started making her presence felt. In any case I don't think she should resign or charges are as serious against her as against Raje. I feel Raje has to go.
(A) Raje was not in the Rajasthan government to at the time neither were the BJP at power in the centre. So she certainly was not part of government to make use of her position. This was the 2012-2013 period. (B) A traditional scam involves using tax payer money for your own gains or spreading the wealth around to your friends. As far as I am aware Raje did not provide Lalit Modi with access to any funds from the Rajasthan revenues. For example the irrigation scam in Maharashtra involved taking money earmarked for investing in irrigation and using it to build houses for the likes of Chhagan Bhujbal. The tax payers of Maharashtra were robbed. © Raje is a Modi loyalist. Swaraj is not in the Modi camp. Most regional sartaps barring Shivraj singh chohan from Munde to Yeddy have always backed Modi to gain more independence from the RSS.

Raje doesn't really have good relations with Modi. She rebelled when MPs from Raj didn't get enough cabinet berths and IIRC she and Raj MPs didn't even go to the oath taking.
Disagree with that. She may not have liked that fact that NaMo did not give her people cabinet bearths. But her real danger is RSS backed home minister Kataria. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulab_Chand_Kataria NaMo acts as a buffer between her and RSS taking over in Rajasthan.

and i think the key in all this is, Did Raje do something when in power which was to the direct sole benefit of Lalit Modi in which the state of Rajasthan lost out? Like in the Vadra-DLF scam, the Hooda government changed the use of land pretty quickly which then Vadra sold back to DLF. All i can see is that she decided to being a witness to help him gain citizenship/permanent residence to the UK and aided in helping his wife travel to Portugal. All this appears to be as the former CM of Rajasthan (at the time). The payments to her son appear to be a goodwill gesture from Modi in anticipation of helping him in the future. The question is did that help ever come? or was the help acting as a potential witness to get a british passport. If Raje has used her position as Rajasthan CM to directly benefit Lalit Modi in a financial capacity in the state of Rajasthan for which money was paid into the company of her son, then IMO she needs to step down. If not she should back backed to the hilt. Just cause the opposition and media are crying does not mean you just do what they want. Raje is an important political cog for the BJP in a state which is on its way to becoming a stronghold.

and let me tell you about appearing as a witness in the UK, ultimately the decision lay with the british authorities and the british home ministry. Raje can influence and lobby. She cannot make the call herself. Its as good as a reference on your CV. But ultimately its your prospective employer who decides.

Disagree with that. She may not have liked that fact that NaMo did not give her people cabinet bearths. But her real danger is RSS backed home minister Kataria. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulab_Chand_Kataria NaMo acts as a buffer between her and RSS taking over in Rajasthan.
Raje still has the support of Raj MLAs so RSS can't do much. Modi is the one who can take action if he wants. If this Lalit Modi thing goes further and more links with Raje are proven then I feel she will be sacked, even if its only for some time.

Raje still has the support of Raj MLAs so RSS can't do much. Modi is the one who can take action if he wants. If this Lalit Modi thing goes further and more links with Raje are proven then I feel she will be sacked' date=' even if its only for some time.[/quote'] The RSS effectively ran the campaign for the Panchayat elections in Rajasthan. (which the bjp won and which was their weakest segment in the past wining most zilla parishads, first time in history the BJP is in the majority in the rural areas, building on their historic ascendency in urban areas) http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/bjp-emerges-on-top-in-landmark-panchayat-polls-in-rajasthan-737489 http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/BJP-wins-31-of-46-civic-bodies-in-Rajasthan/articleshow/45272751.cms Those MLA's know just how strong the RSS is in government of Rajasthan as of now. They are not going to back Raje to the extent you are making it out to be. From my knowledge Raje has the support of 55 MLA's. The rest are indifferent or with the RSS (directly) or the remnant of the Shekhawat faction. With 163 MLA's at-least till next election they are fine without the Raje MLA's. Where Raje has the advantage is that she controls a lot of the machinery (cadre etc) within the state. So come 2018 the BJP is going to be in a weakened state if Raje is not in charge.

I think one major factor which we are forgeting here is, it was Lalit Modi himself and his lawyers who have dragged Vasundhara Raje in this controversy. If they would not have made public the Vasundhra Raje letter this matter would have closed long back as everybody agrees that the mistake committed by Sushma Swaraj was not very grave so as to she should resign. Now, why would Lalit Modi do that even though he and his lawyer have openly endorsed NDA government and praised them. Were they not aware that this would affect the ruling government? Believe me guys there is something which we do not know, something which has happened from inside BJP at very high level.

On a no controversy , non issue like IPL, no one is gonna be disciplined. If anything, Sharad Pawar and Shukla are biggest thiefs along with Srini Mama, But Pawar is head of the cartel. Pawar will put a lid on it all before Narendra Modi has to do take any action.

On a no controversy ' date=' non issue like IPL, no one is gonna be disciplined. If anything, Sharad Pawar and Shukla are biggest thiefs along with Srini Mama, But Pawar is head of the cartel. Pawar will put a lid on it all before Narendra Modi has to do take any action.[/quote'] Sharad Pawar has much bigger Chagan Bhujbal problems. If he spills the beans most of the senior NCP leaders will be in jail on an irrigation scam. The way i see it While she was the ex CM of Rajasthan Raje helped Modi by agreeing to act as a witness and also aided his wife travel. In return Modi invested heavily in her son's company as gratitude. Its a non issue. As i said before if Modi has been the direct financial beneficiary of anything Raje has done when she was CM of Rajasthan then IMO she needs to go.

FirstPost : "The BJP's problem is that it has realised Raje's case is indefensible. The financial transactions between her son, Jhalawar MP Dushyant Singh, and Modi are almost similar to the deals between Vadra and DLF. The paper trail shows that he got nearly Rs 11 crore for a company that exists just on paper through the Mauritius route. This is a classic case of round-tripping of money and the paper trail points to slush funds being laundered. The BJP will look stupid defending an encore of Vadragate." Only 11 Crores , that is peanuts for Raje and her family. or perhaps there is more ?

FirstPost : "The BJP's problem is that it has realised Raje's case is indefensible. The financial transactions between her son, Jhalawar MP Dushyant Singh, and Modi are almost similar to the deals between Vadra and DLF. The paper trail shows that he got nearly Rs 11 crore for a company that exists just on paper through the Mauritius route. This is a classic case of round-tripping of money and the paper trail points to slush funds being laundered. The BJP will look stupid defending an encore of Vadragate." Only 11 Crores , that is peanuts for Raje and her family. or perhaps there is more ?
Says the firstpost.... an opinion of an online rag Just because Firstpost says so does not mean BJP will do what they are stating.

Barkha Dutt echoing the same which atleast I am also thinking, people who are shouting and somehow keeping this issue alive have been Arnab (Modi sympathiser), Navika (close to Modi ) and Lalit Modi (shrude businessman is not close to anyone but has immense hatred towards some Congress Top Leaders)

barkha dutt ‏@BDUTT 44m44 minutes ago I ask again- Coincidence, Accident or Design that the two women singed by #LalitLeaks not favourites of BJP's Top Guns?

Sharad Pawar has much bigger Chagan Bhujbal problems. If he spills the beans most of the senior NCP leaders will be in jail on an irrigation scam. The way i see it While she was the ex CM of Rajasthan Raje helped Modi by agreeing to act as a witness and also aided his wife travel. In return Modi invested heavily in her son's company as gratitude. Its a non issue. As i said before if Modi has been the direct financial beneficiary of anything Raje has done when she was CM of Rajasthan then IMO she needs to go.
The basis you are using that her deals are no-issue as she was not in government is pretty naive. As the leader of main opposition party you are an influential figure and do have some responsibility. If you go by same yardstick, there shouldn't ever be any question on Robert Vadra as he has never been in position of public responsibility. Also please dont use word "invested in company". You know it was payment made to Raje family. Nothing else.

Barkha Dutt echoing the same which atleast I am also thinking' date=' people who are shouting and somehow keeping this issue alive have been Arnab (Modi sympathiser), Navika (close to Modi ) and Lalit Modi (shrude businessman is not close to anyone but has immense hatred towards some Congress Top Leaders)[/quote'] Can't believe Modi is that stupid to create a controversy out of nothing just before International Yoga day.. He and his team are good in Event promotion and management. This looks like bad promo by them if true...