Sehwag, Munaf set to be recalled -First two ODIs versus SL

DesiChap

Sehwag, Munaf set to be recalled - First two ODIs versus Sri Lanka LOKENDRA PRATAP SAHI Mumbai: The senior national selectors are set to recall Virender Sehwag and Munaf Patel for the first two ODIs, at least, against Sri Lanka. Chairman Dilip Vengsarkar and his colleagues (Venkatapathi Raju, Bhupinder Singh, Sanjay Jagdale and Ranjib Biswal) will be meeting here on Saturday, Day II of the Ranji final. The first ODI is in Calcutta on February 8, while Rajkot hosts the second, three days later. The World Cup squad of 15 is going to be chosen on February 12. Sehwag, it may be recalled, was dropped for the just-ended four ODIs versus the West Indies. Munaf wasn?t available for the first two matches of the same series and not considered thereafter. He?d been present in Vadodara, though. ?The selectors, as of now (Thursday), wish to see whether Sehwag has learnt anything by being dropped on returning from South Africa... If fit, Munaf can be an asset in the World Cup, but he has to first convince the selectors that he?s one hundred per cent okay,? a top source told The Telegraph. Munaf made himself available for the last Test (Cape Town) in South Africa despite harbouring a fear that his left ankle could again get injured. That hurt Team India and, eventually, we lost there and couldn?t even return home with a 1-1 scoreline. In any case, owing to the injury, Munaf had been a passenger for much of the tour. ?Munaf bowled at nets in Vadodara (before the final ODI against the West Indies), but one can?t judge anything on that basis... He?d looked perfectly fine at nets in Cape Town as well... Obviously, he had a problem in the mind and if that hasn?t been sorted out, he won?t be considered for the World Cup,? the source added. Many are still quite upset with Munaf, but are looking at the larger picture. At the moment, it?s not clear who will be dropped/rested to make way (as is expected) for Sehwag and Munaf. Gautam Gambhir and Sreesanth are the ones who may not travel to Calcutta and Rajkot. The last two ODIs are going to be held in Goa and Vizag. http://www.telegraphindia.com/1070202/asp/sports/story_7338974.asp

Re: Sehwag, Munaf set to be recalled -First two ODIs versus SL

I would try someone like Nehra instead of Munaf.
My exact thoughts. They want to try munaf please go ahead but also play backup like Rp singh and if possible nehra. even pathan is better than a fragile munaf.

so i assume that it is fair to say thats its the end of the road for VVS as far as one day cricket is concerned' date=' really unfortunate that a player with his batting abilities never got an opportunity.[/quote'] There is no question that he has gotten a raw deal. It has always been that way. The rope is very very short if you are from certain parts of the country.
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Sehwag, Munaf set to be recalled -First two ODIs versus SL Who will fill the shoes of Nehra of world cup circa 2003.. I don't see anyone with even half of his ability around. He was injury prone but when fit was heads and shoulders above the rest of the seamers.

Re: Sehwag, Munaf set to be recalled -First two ODIs versus SL Aggy will, DR..... i believe, not taking him to the 2003 WC was a blunder in the first place... 1 or 2 early strikes by him can change the complexion of a match in a jiffy..... though Nehra clocked 149, he was averaging around 142-143..... thts pretty much wat Aggy bowls at too....

Re: Sehwag, Munaf set to be recalled -First two ODIs versus SL So Raina is still in i assume, but then Very Very Special will be sitting at home watchin Raina fail time after time and again, and all Laxman can do is sit there and think what more do i need to prove?All I have to do is score a hundred right and anchor the innings, isnt that enough ?why am i treated so casually? how come i never realized my dream? Dirty indian politics? No Support from anyone in the north? people not guiding me in the right direction as far fielding is concerned?Why is everyone one of my run outs blown out of proportion? If my outfielding is shambolic, why couldnt the team put me out in the outfields in South Africa? I took some great slip catches is that enough? Why am i the one gets only one match and then im out? should i really be treated that way? scoring 281 runs and having the whole country being jealous and also Sunil Gavaskar? wow man how he not be able to play the world cup, i mean there sending raina. To be honest with everyone i think utaphha is very overrated, he can be smashing in india but dont see him performing anywhere else in the world, hes far too young Laxmans experience is enough and his batting qualities is more than enough, but unfortunately that doesnt mean much to any one else.

Re: Sehwag, Munaf set to be recalled -First two ODIs versus SL What utter turd. As if anyone gives a sh*t about where Laxman is from. There are other southies in the team, including the captain - explain that. Laxman has just proven himself to be crappy ODI player despite getting almost a 100 ODI's - end of story.

Re: Sehwag, Munaf set to be recalled -First two ODIs versus SL the team never has had Laxmans back so how do you expect him to perform givin his 100 percent, if hes a crappy odi player then you might as well call him a crappy player period Go back and watch his performances where hes scored over 50 in odi cricket my friend and if that doesnt convince why he should be used instead of raina, what will? All i am saying is that Laxman should be used in place of raina. An opposition fears Laxman over Raina any day and that itself should grant him a spot in the playing 11, just think about if India faced Australia in the world cup, a player like Laxman who has a tremendous average of 46.81 against australia would certainly help regardless of how the pitch is, its all mental strength. Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St Laxman 86 2338 131 30.76 6 10 0 - - 0 39 0 Raina 36 612 81* 26.60 0 3 1 1/23 37.00 0 15 0 home Lax 31 1103 102 36.76 2 7 0 - - 0 9 0 Rain 16 349 81* 34.90 0 3 - - - - 4 0 away Lax 30 712 107 27.38 3 1 - - - - 14 0 Rain 13 110 35* 15.71 Better average even at home, and away also. Raina hasnt scored a 100 yet Laxman has scored matchwinning hundreds, hes far more experienced, far talented with the bat, only thing raina has on him is fielding and running but the truth is my friend scoring runs have more of an impact than just throwin urself around in the field.

Yea but not everyone is like dravid' date=' the team didnt show confidence in him so how can he perform givin his 100 percent, if hes a crappy odi player then you might as well call him a crappy player period Go back and watch his performances where hes scored over 50 in odi cricket my friend and if that doesnt convince why he should be used instead of raina, what will?[/quote'] Not just Dravid - what about Sreesanth, Kumble, Karthik, or even flat-footed losers like Uthappa ? This whole "regionalism" turd isn't worth discussing. Raina hasn't been given 9233289432 ODI's to prove himself like Faxman has. Who knows, maybe a mug like him could average a borderline 30 when given sh*tloads of chances too.