Yakub Memon to Hang On July 30 for India's Deadliest Terror Attack

Gollum

Brilliant news !!! :yay: Hang all terrorists enjoying 5 star treatment in our jails.

NEW DELHI: Terrorist Yakub Memon will hang for his role in the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai, India's worst terror attack, after the Supreme Court today refused to reconsider his execution. He will be hanged on July 30, his birthday. Memon, an accountant, will be the first to be executed for the deadly attack in which 257 people were killed. 53-year-old Memon was found guilty in 2007 of financing the 13 blasts that shook India's financial capital. He has been in jail for two decades. His brother Essa and Yusuf and sister-in-law Rubina were all convicted in the blasts. Yakub Memon's brother Ibrahim or Tiger Memon, and Dawood Ibrahim, the other masterminds of the attacks, have been on the run since 1993. A judge described the three as the "architects of the blasts" that took place at separate landmarks including the Bombay Stock Exchange, the offices of the national carrier Air India and the luxury Sea Rock hotel. Yakub Memon decided to return to India from Pakistan in 1994, protesting his innocence. He was detained shortly afterwards in circumstances that remain unclear: he has said he turned himself in, but police claimed an arrest. His was the only mercy petition to be rejected. The sentence of the other 10 people convicted for the blasts has been commuted to life in prison. A court said Memon was the "diving spirit" behind the attacks. Memon's appeals against his execution were rejected all the way to the Supreme Court and also by the President. His family members have been informed about the date and time of his execution, which is the procedure, say sources in the government. Memon, who completed master's degrees in English Literature and political science in jail, had challenged his death sentence on the grounds that while he could be held guilty of conspiracy, he was not involved in executing the blasts that led to death of people. Actor Sanjay Dutt is serving a four year sentence in jail after being convicted for buying weapons from those accused in the blasts.
5P5rHFa.jpgSJAIBIl.jpghttp://www.ndtv.com/india-news/1993-mumbai-blasts-convict-yakub-memons-final-mercy-plea-rejected-783656 http://indianexpress.com/article/explained/yakub-memons-story-he-saw-it-as-sacrifice/2/

Communists, MIM, Presstitutes, sickularists have started their rona dhona over this. To hell with the traitors who support this murderer. Memon isn't the one suffering here. All those families who lost their near and dear ones and who have had all happiness and peace of mind sucked from them for the last 20 years and can't sleep without nightmares are the ones suffering here. Mumbai cops on their toes ahead of Yakub Memon's execution http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report-mumbai-cops-on-their-toes-ahead-of-yakub-memon-s-execution-2106806

I've mixed feelings. YM was involved but he returned to India on his own... He has the choice to stay abroad like Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim... It now appears he made a stupid decision to return back and he now faces the gallows... This will also emphasise that no fugitive should return back and face the dire consequences... Punish him but to condemn him to death while all others had their sentences commuted to Life Imprisonment, is not fair...

@ravishingravi The question why did he run away two days before the blasts and also he was with his brother he would have known a lot about much before why did he keep his mouth shut. He should pay for this at least.
Yes. He should be punished. But not death sentence. This is SC. so clearly there was evidence to directly link him. But he did come back and gave all the info. He didn't have to. He is not the mastermind.

The other 11 convicted by the TADA court and sentenced to the gallows also deserve to be hanged. Economic condition is a poor excuse for committing such a heinous crime where an overwhelming majority of the population is poor.

dwyfqeTJJAo People make your own judgement. To me, this sentence was grossly unfair.
That is just his side of the story. The courts found him guilty of criminal conspiracy. If you didn't follow the trial in court (I assume you didn't), then you have no idea what evidence was presented against him that clinched the conviction. Considering India's exhaustive appeal process and the fact that we award the death penalty only in the rarest of rare cases, I wouldn't be surprised if there was sufficiently convincing evidence of his active involvement in the conspiracy. Just giving an interview in a sombre voice and saying India is his motherland should have no bearing on the quantum of his punishment.

That is just his side of the story. The courts found him guilty of criminal conspiracy. If you didn't follow the trial in court (I assume you didn't), then you have no idea what evidence was presented against him that clinched the conviction. Considering India's exhaustive appeal process and the fact that we award the death penalty only in the rarest of rare cases, I wouldn't be surprised if there was sufficiently convincing evidence of his active involvement in the conspiracy. Just giving an interview in a sombre voice and saying India is his motherland should have no bearing on the quantum of his punishment.
I don't think you followed my point. I am not saying he is innocent. There is ofcourse clear cut evidence against him. But here is a man who left his family and came back when he didn't have to. Why ? He gave the info on Tiger and ISI including whereabouts. What is message we are sending to others like him who might want to surrender ?

I don't think you followed my point. I am not saying he is innocent. There is ofcourse clear cut evidence against him. But here is a man who left his family and came back when he didn't have to. Why ? He gave the info on Tiger and ISI including whereabouts. What is message we are sending to others like him who might want to surrender ?
My initial reaction was of sympathy to him after watching that interview. But I would rather believe in Indian judicial system which gives enough opportunities for appeals to all kind of lacunae. I suspect his story of him coming to Indian by himself. I think that story was made up when he anyways was caught by agencies. Without being sympathetic to him, I would say life imprisonment for natural life would have been apt punishment.

On the contrary, I would say that the message is strong. If you indulge in anti- India activities, you won't be spared. That is why I am actually very disappointed by the commutation of death sentences of the 11 others. These people actively participated in the act and deserved the death sentence. Commuting it simply because they were poor is a ridiculous way to get away. Just like the rich should not get away with crime, the poor shouldn't either. Coming to the man in question, there are contradicting statements on whether he did indeed surrender or he was caught in Nepal. In fact, their family is actually lucky that only one of them received the death penalty. Others were perhaps given benefit of the doubt and there was perhaps not sufficient evidence to nail them. Finally, our judiciary provides extraordinary safeguards to ensure that an innocent does not go to the gallows (not saying innocent people don't rot in jails for long times, but at least when the death penalty is given, there are extraordinary measures in place to ensure no innocent suffers such a fate). It is also only accorded in the rarest of rare crimes, which this one certainly qualifies. It is not like this man accepted his guilt and confessed either. He used all measures possible to delay his sentence. This case has been going for the last 22 years now. I do not think he deserves any sympathy.

http://www.rediff.com/news/column/syed-firdaus-ashraf-is-yakub-memon-innocent-i-dont-know/20150722.htm Is Yakub Memon innocent? I don't know Some time in 1994, when I was visiting my journalism guru, the late M V Kamath, at his suburban home in Mumbai, he received a phone call after which he rushed to switch on the television. A friend had called Mr Kamath to say that 1993 Mumbai serial blasts accused Yakub Memon's interview was being telecast. Yakub Memon was being interviewed by Madhu Trehan, then of Newstrack -- the only interview with the man currently on death row, and who will likely be executed on July 30, his 53rd birthday. During the interview, Yaqub Memon told Trehan, 'I have never spoken more than an hour in all my life with my brother (Ibrahim 'Tiger' Memon, the main accused in the 1993 blasts case).' I was shocked at this revelation, but not Mr Kamath. "It is possible because there is a culture in many Indian families that the younger brother does not speak, or is not supposed to speak to his elder brother," he pointed out to me. Yakub, a chartered accountant by training, was two years younger than 'Tiger' Memon. The elder Memon was charged with being the main conspirator in the March 12, 1993 serial blasts in which 257 people died and over 800 people were injured. After watching the interview, I asked Mr Kamath if he thought Yakub Memon was innocent. "I don't know," Mr Kamath said. Twenty-two years after those horrific terror attacks, if someone asks me if I believe that Yakub Memon is innocent, my answer would be the same as what M V Kamath said to me that day. I don't know. Memories of the 1993 blasts have stayed with me all these years not only because it affected the city where I was born, raised and live, but also professionally. I covered the blasts trial in Mumbai's TADA court for several years. Through it all, I have always wondered if Yakub Memon deliberately dropped his bag containing his family's Pakistani passports at Kathmandu airport in 1994, knowing well that it would draw attention and he could be arrested. If, as he says, he returned to his motherland as he was innocent, why did he not secure a written assurance from the P V Narasimha Rao government guaranteeing his future safety? Nobody makes an oral deal with the government, right? On March 11, 1993, a day before the serial blasts, Tiger Memon packed off his entire family, including Yakub and his wife Raheen, to Dubai from where they fled to Karachi with the help of the Pakistani establishment and its intelligence agency, the Directorate of Inter Services Intelligence. Yakub Memon has always maintained that till the time he traveled to Dubai he had no idea about the blasts being planned, else he would have stopped his brother from carrying out the plot. It was only after he landed in Karachi a week later that he realised that Tiger was involved in the blasts. According to the Central Bureau of Investigation, Yakub Memon was arrested at New Delhi railway station in August 1994. Yakub and his family, on the other hand, have always maintained that they willingly surrendered to the Indian authorities. For me, Yakub Memon's case is a classic Rashomon moment where the truth is multi-faceted and is what you want to believe. Therefore, my answer to the question 'Is Yaqub Memon innocent?' will always be: I don't know. Is Yakub Memon paying for his brother Tiger Memon's crimes? My answer remains the same. I don't know. There are, however, unanswered questions about Yakub Memon's return to India. Why would a man living in comfort, as the Pakistan government's guest, want to return and surrender to the Indian authorities? In Yakub Memon's own words -- in the Newstrack interview -- he says: 'I have come here to show the people who are behind the blasts and it is not the Memon family who is behind these things. I know who the people are behind it, I know the exact addresses and I know the Pakistani government's involvement. That is what I want to tell the international community.' TADA court Judge P D Kode did not believe Yakub Memon. Judge Kode did not think Yakub Memon was innocent. Judge Kode sentenced Yakub Memon to death. The Supreme Court later upheld the sentence. President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea. And on Tuesday, July 21, his curative petition was rejected by the apex court. While covering the blasts case, I heard one of the men sentenced to death for planting the bombs exclaim when he heard the verdict: "Hum kare toh phanda, tum karo toh commission. (If we (Muslims) do it, we get the noose, but if you (Hindus) do it, you get commissions [of inquiry])." This cynical view was a reference to the 1992-1993 Mumbai riots in which most of those killed were Muslim, but for which not a single person has yet been convicted. Unlike the Mumbai blasts which followed the riots and in which 100 accused -- almost all of them Muslims -- were convicted. The man was reflecting the sentiment in Mumbai's Muslim areas that for those who murdered Muslims in the horrific 1992-1993 riots, the only punishment came in the form of the Srikrishna Commission of Inquiry. The upright Justice B N Srikrishna was unsparing in his inquiry report, but not one of his recommendations was accepted by the 'secular' Congress-Nationalist Congress Party government that ruled Maharashtra for 15 years. And yes, 22 years later, not one person has been convicted for the terrifying Mumbai riots. After 1992-1993, there have been scores of riots across the country. The trend has always been the same. No one is convicted when Muslim lives or property is harmed. One of the main accused in the 2013 Muzaffarnagar riots, Sangeet Som, a Bharatiya Janata Party legislator, has even been granted Z+ security by the government. How will you interpret this action? To me, it means, the State -- regardless of who is in power -- cares two hoots for some of its citizens. The one time Muslims secured justice was after the 2002 Gujarat riots. More than 100 people have been convicted for the murderous violence; most of the convictions occurred outside Gujarat, in Maharashtra, as the Supreme Court transferred the cases to the neighbouring state. The latest facts are deeply worrying. The home ministry's latest report (external link) notes that communal violence in the country has gone up by 25 per cent in the first five months of 2015. The communal situation is so combustible that an eve-teasing incident can result in riots. As it happened in Jamshedpur (external link) a couple of days ago. What is the solution, you ask me? How can those Muslims devastated by riots, get justice? My answer would be the same: I don't know. I really don't know. In 2007, as I was leaving the TADA court, I met a senior lady reporter from a Urdu newspaper. I asked her what she felt about Dawood Ibrahim's role in the blasts and about his claim to being a protector of Indian Muslims after the Mumbai riots. "Dawood Ibrahim is in no way a protector of Indian Muslims. He has given Muslims a worse reputation than anyone else. He has put innocent Muslims on the path of violence for his own good while he leads a lavish life in Pakistan. But these fools, his foot soldiers, are languishing in jail." "Dawood has not opened a single school or hospital for Muslims. The Muslim areas in South Mumbai from where he operated are as dirty as it once was. Those areas are stuck in a time warp whereas the rest of Mumbai has moved on." "Dawood ne sirf apni aiyashi ki hai qaum ke naam par (Dawood has only enjoyed himself even as his community suffered). If you don't agree with me, prove me wrong." This, I know, is the right answer.

Yakub Memon moves SC to stay his hanging Yakub Abdul Razak Memon, the sole death row convict in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, on Thursday moved the Supreme Court seeking stay of execution of his death sentence scheduled for July 30. Memon, in his petition said that all legal remedies have not been exhausted and he has also approached the Maharashtra governor with a plea for mercy. He had filed the mercy plea before the governor immediately after his curative petition was dismissed by the apex court on Tuesday. A three-judge bench headed by Chief Justice H L Dattu had on July 21 rejected Memon’s plea saying that the grounds raised by him does not fall within the principles laid down by the apex court in 2002 in deciding the curative petition, the last judicial remedy available to an aggrieved person. Memon, in his plea, had claimed he was suffering from schizophrenia since 1996 and remained behind the bars for nearly 20 years. He had sought commutation of death penalty contending that a convict cannot be awarded life term and the extreme penalty simultaneously for the same offence. The apex court on April 9 this year had dismissed Memon’s petition seeking review of his death sentence which was upheld on March 21, 2013. Memon’s review petition was heard by a three-judge bench in an open court in pursuance of a Constitution bench verdict that the practice of deciding review pleas in chambers be done away with, in cases where death penalty has been awarded. The apex court, on June 2, 2014, had stayed the execution of Memon and referred his plea to a Constitution bench as to whether review petitions in death penalty cases be heard in an open court or in chambers. Memon had sought review of the March 21, 2013 verdict of the apex court upholding his death penalty in the case relating to 13 coordinated bomb blasts in Mumbai, killing 257 persons and injuring over 700 on March 12, 1993.

CPIM's stance is both laughworthy and hypocritical. The last person to be hanged before Ajmal kasab, was Dhananjoy Chatterjee. He was hanged in CPIM's very own (then) West Bengal in 2004. What was the reaction of the then Chief Minister and veteran CPIM leader Buddhadev Bhattacharya? “The government and I are in favour of the death sentence in this particular case... The message should go loud and clear to the perpetrators of such crimes.” https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2004/09/indi-s30.html

Important read. Right from the mouth of the person who coordinated arrest of Yakub. Yakub Memon must not hang, we brought him back: Key RAW man in ’07 - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/yakub-memon-must-not-hang-we-brought-him-back-key-raw-man-in-07/#sthash.uxJZJfqp.dpuf

As 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon moved Supreme Court Thursday to seek a stay on his execution, news portal Rediff.com put out what it said was an unpublished article written in 2007 by B Raman, former Additional Secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat, in which he said Yakub did not deserve to be hanged and had been flown to Delhi in a government plane from Nepal. Raman headed the Pakistan desk in the Research and Analysis Wing (R&AW) when he coordinated the operation to bring back Yakub and other members of the Memon family from Karachi. SHARE THIS ARTICLE Share RELATED ARTICLE In July 1994, weeks before his retirement, Raman said Yakub was informally picked up in Kathmandu with the help of the Nepal police, “driven across Nepal to a town in Indian territory, flown to Delhi by an aircraft of the Aviation Research Centre and formally arrested in Old Delhi by the investigating authorities and taken into custody for interrogation. The entire operation was coordinated by me.” “The cooperation of Yakub with the investigating agencies after he was picked up informally in Kathmandu and his role in persuading some other members of the family to come out of Pakistan and surrender constitute, in my view, a strong mitigating circumstance to be taken into consideration while considering whether the death penalty should be implemented,” Raman wrote in the article which was not published earlier on his request. Raman died in June 2013. On Thursday, Rediff.com said it was publishing the article with the permission of his brother, B S Raghavan, a retired IAS officer and a Rediff.com columnist himself. Raman wrote: “I have been repeatedly asking myself: Should I write this article? Would I be a moral coward if I did not do so? Would the entire case get unravelled if I wrote it? Would the undoubtedly guilty escape punishment as a result of my writing it? Would my article be adversely viewed by the court? Would I be committing contempt of court? It is impossible to have definitive answers to these questions. Ultimately, I decided to write this in the belief that it is important to prevent a person, who in my view does not deserve to be hanged, from going to the gallows.” “I was disturbed to notice that some mitigating circumstances in the case of Yakub Memon and some other members of the family were probably not brought to the notice of the court by the prosecution and that the prosecution did not suggest to the court that these circumstances should be taken into consideration while deciding on the punishment to be awarded to them. In their eagerness to obtain the death penalty, the fact that there were mitigating circumstances do not appear to have been highlighted,” he wrote. Writing that there was “not an iota of doubt’’ about Yakub’s involvement in the blasts conspiracy, Raman stated that in normal circumstances, he would have deserved the death penalty if one only took into consideration his conduct and role before July 1994. “But if one also takes into consideration his conduct and role after he was informally picked up in Kathmandu, there is a strong case for having second thoughts about the suitability of the death penalty in the subsequent stages of the case,” Raman added. Yakub cooperated with the investigating agencies and assisted them by persuading some other members of the Memon family to flee from the protection of the ISI in Karachi to Dubai and surrender to the Indian authorities, Raman stated. “The prosecution was right in saying that Yakub was arrested in Old Delhi. Yakub was right in claiming that he was not arrested in Old Delhi,” he wrote. According to Raman, Yakub came to Kathmandu secretly from Karachi to consult a relative and a lawyer on the advisability of returning to India and surrendering to the Mumbai police. Yakub said he and some members of the Memon family were uncomfortable with the ISI. The relative and the lawyer advised Yakub against surrender, fearing that justice might not be done to them. They advised Yakub to return to Karachi. Before he could board the flight to Karachi, Yakub was picked up by Nepal police on suspicion, identified and rapidly moved to India, Raman stated. Asked for his comments on the Raman article, Vappala Balachandran, a former special secretary in the Cabinet Secretariat, said: “I was aware of the case but I was not present in the country when the event happened and when he was finally brought in. I was then on a special assignment outside the country and held the rank of a special secretary. Raman was a close friend and if he has said this in writing, then it has to be correct.” “But at this stage, when the event has gone through so many judicial layers, it would be incorrect for me to say anything on this matter… Raman at that time was asked by Sharad Pawar’s office to assist in this operation, and I am aware that he helped in everything. Raman knew everything and was privy to all the details of Yakub’s movements. He had assisted the CBI and Mumbai police and he did that in the capacity he was assigned. I read the piece just late evening, and I can only say if Raman has written it, it has to be true,” he said. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/yakub-memon-must-not-hang-we-brought-him-back-key-raw-man-in-07/#sthash.uxJZJfqp.dpuf