• Announcements

• Trichromatic

IPL forum is open now   01/29/2018

Discuss about IPL at http://www.indiancricketfans.com/forums/forum/19-ipl-forum/
Sign in to follow this  
Gollum

Yakub Memon to Hang On July 30 for India's Deadliest Terror Attack

Even I feel Yakub should not be hanged. No, not because I think Yakub is not guilty, but we need to create an environment where the Pakistani based Indian Terrorists return back to India and it should start with Yakub.

Late B Raman Ex-RAW officer who headed the Pakistan Desk at the Research and Analysis Wing :

" The cooperation of Yakub with the investigating agencies after he was picked up informally in Kathmandu and his role in persuading some other members of the family to come out of Pakistan and surrender Constitute, in my view, a strong mitigating circumstance to be taken into consideration while considering whether the death penalty should be implemented : B Raman had written in August 2007."
He was the key person who, along with officers of the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Intelligence Bureau, had put in best efforts to crack Yakub Memon and bring him to justice in India. No less than Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao had monitored the operation and was very pleased when the team met with success. By all means it was an intelligence coup.
Ex-RAW officer disturbed by"deception of officers of the investigating agencies "
When Yakub Memon was sentenced to death Mr Raman was in pain. He called me to share why it was very wrong on the part of the Indian establishment to allow Yakub Memon to die by decree of law. He was quite disturbed to see the deception by officers of the investigating agencies, in the Mumbai courts and in higher courts, that he was once part of.
http://linkis.com/m.rediff.com/news/co/zCJ1k

So much love for poor guy Yakub Memon. Not much love for the 257 people he helped kill' date=' many of who must have been bread winners for their families. No idea how many indirectly died/suffered because of loss of income.[/quote'] Love for 257 people who were killed doesn't get reduced by call for leniency for Yakub. It is well established that he was not the conspirator or mastermind of the blasts. It was planned completely by his brother Tiger Memon. While evidence suggests that Yakub had helped in planning of things by delivering certain parcels but he may have done so without knowing complete designs. He has been in jail for 21 years already. There are other mitigating circumstances as well. He came out of ISI den on his own and helped Indian agencies in getting other Memon family out of Pakistan via Dubai. He helped prepare case against Pakistan and most of the intelligence officers who were part of investigation and whole and have chosen to opine of the subject expressed that he may not deserve death penalty. If you see a large number of people who are appealing for mercy are eminent jurists like retired SC judges etc, Ram Jethmalani and few others. I don't think other than some petty comments from politicians like Owaise, matter has much to do with politics. Most of the people appealing for mercy has not got anything to do with Politics.

Love for 257 people who were killed doesn't get reduced by call for leniency for Yakub. It is well established that he was not the conspirator or mastermind of the blasts. It was planned completely by his brother Tiger Memon. While evidence suggests that Yakub had helped in planning of things by delivering certain parcels but he may have done so without knowing complete designs. He has been in jail for 21 years already.
Are you the judiciary? Have you seen the merits of the other side of the argument? The case has run for 23 years. Multiple appeals have been filed and yet his sentence stands. You think our judge after judge and President want to hang him without any substance?
There are other mitigating circumstances as well. He came out of ISI den on his own and helped Indian agencies in getting other Memon family out of Pakistan via Dubai. He helped prepare case against Pakistan and most of the intelligence officers who were part of investigation and whole and have chosen to opine of the subject expressed that he may not deserve death penalty. If you see a large number of people who are appealing for mercy are eminent jurists like retired SC judges etc, Ram Jethmalani and few others. I don't think other than some petty comments from politicians like Owaise, matter has much to do with politics. Most of the people appealing for mercy has not got anything to do with Politics.
Many other Memon family members have been acquitted and some are serving their own sentences. None, except Yakub, have received the death penalty. If they wanted to hang Yakub for Tiger's crimes, surely, they could have also punished other Memon family members. His father was acquitted, his brother Suleman was also acquitted despite his wife's vehicle being actively used in the incident. So, why did they single out Yakub? It is pretty clear to everybody in the judicial system that this man was actively involved. And about Ram Jethmalani, he also opposed death sentences to Kasab and Afzal Guru. He defended Harshad Mehta and Manu Sharma in court. He has a long laundry list of clients, many of whom are tainted. I don't give two hoots about his suggestion. He will defend Satan if he is paid for it.

Are you the judiciary? Have you seen the merits of the other side of the argument? The case has run for 23 years. Multiple appeals have been filed and yet his sentence stands. You think our judge after judge and President want to hang him without any substance? Many other Memon family members have been acquitted and some are serving their own sentences. None, except Yakub, have received the death penalty. If they wanted to hang Yakub for Tiger's crimes, surely, they could have also punished other Memon family members. His father was acquitted, his brother Suleman was also acquitted despite his wife's vehicle being actively used in the incident. So, why did they single out Yakub? It is pretty clear to everybody in the judicial system that this man was actively involved. And about Ram Jethmalani, he also opposed death sentences to Kasab and Afzal Guru. He defended Harshad Mehta and Manu Sharma in court. He has a long laundry list of clients, many of whom are tainted. I don't give two hoots about his suggestion. He will defend Satan if he is paid for it.
Very Fair Points. If you read my first post on this thread, I didn't have any specific objection to the death penalty to Yakub other than on the basis of my principal stand against Death penalty. I remain opposed to death penalties for all kind of causes. I am not judiciary nor I have seen all the arguments. However my view point changed on the basis of statements those came out in media over last 1 week or two and many of them came from people who have been long part of Indian judiciary and investigation of the case. i urge you to read the article writen by ex RAW officer Mr. Raman or retired Supreme Court judge H S Bedi. These statements came from the people who definitely don't have vested interests and have either been privy to matters more than me and you or have more discretionary capabilitities on the matters of judiciary. My appeal for mercy has nothing to do with my lack of love for death of 257 people. I don't want that 257 to become 258.

Very Fair Points. If you read my first post on this thread, I didn't have any specific objection to the death penalty to Yakub other than on the basis of my principal stand against Death penalty. I remain opposed to death penalties for all kind of causes. I am not judiciary nor I have seen all the arguments. However my view point changed on the basis of statements those came out in media over last 1 week or two and many of them came from people who have been long part of Indian judiciary and investigation of the case. i urge you to read the article writen by ex RAW officer Mr. Raman or retired Supreme Court judge H S Bedi. These statements came from the people who definitely don't have vested interests and have either been privy to matters more than me and you or have more discretionary capabilitities on the matters of judiciary. My appeal for mercy has nothing to do with my lack of love for death of 257 people. I don't want that 257 to become 258.
Yeah. Spot on.

It is important to know the truth in the Yakub Memon case Link: http://www.rediff.com/news/special/it-is-important-to-know-the-truth-in-the-yakub-memon-case/20150727.htm 'By July 1994, Yakub Memon and other members of his family except Tiger Memon felt uncomfortable living in Pakistan under the protection of the ISI. They decided to surrender to the Indian police and face trial. Tiger Memon strongly opposed this. Yakub Memon wanted to consult a relative and a family lawyer about the advisability of surrendering to the Indian authorities. He flew to Kathmandu by a flight of the Pakistan International Airlines. His relative and the family lawyer met him there. They strongly advised Yakub against surrendering.' 'According to Yakub, they told him that the Indian police and security agencies would have them killed and show them as killed in an encounter. They, therefore, advised him to go back to Karachi and live there. Yakub accepted their advice and decided to fly back to Karachi. As he was boarding the PIA bus to go to the aircraft, his shoulder bag fell down. Half a dozen Indian passports came out of it and got scattered on the ground. A Nepalese policeman noticed this and immediately detained him.' 'Yakub was having in his possession the Indian passports of all the members of the family except Tiger Memon. They immediately alerted the R&AW, which requested the CBI to depute an officer to Kathmandu to identify the person detained by the Nepalese police. He went there and established that the detained person was Yakub Memon. The Nepalese authorities did not want to formally arrest him. They were worried that if they formally arrested him, they would have to produce him before their court and Dawood Ibrahim's lawyers would see that he was not handed over to India. It was, therefore, decided that they would bring Yakub in a car from Kathmandu to Indian territory in Bihar and informally hand him over to the Indian police without any record about the hand-over in their records.' 'An ARC aircraft was sent to a town near the Bihar border. The moment the Nepalese police reached the town and handed him over, he was flown to Delhi and handed over to the IB. P V Narasimha Rao, the then prime minister, was informed. Yakub co-operated with the CBI in persuading some other members of his family to go to Dubai from Karachi and surrender to the Indian authorities. A senior IB officer was sent to Dubai to make arrangements for receiving them and sending them to India.'

We deserve more 26/11 type attacks. There is more sympathy for terrorists amongst our public than for victims of countless terror attacks. Rotten mentality amongst many even on ICF.
Exactly. No wonder we are such a soft nation. We find sympathy even for hardened terrorists. Actually, our entire history is laced with several examples of going "soft" on the enemy. One of the arguments these "eminent" people are making is that those who actually planted the explosives have been let off with a life term, so why hang Yakub. So, instead of making a case for hanging all of them, they are saying " Spare this guy also because people who indulged in more heinous crimes have been spared." This kind of Lahori logic can only come from "eminent intellectuals" in India. Just look at the case of NDTV. It is running daily interviews with some Tom, Dick or Harry who seems to think poor Yakub is getting a raw deal. This is the same channel, which after Gujarat riots, was finding every single Muslim victim of riots and running their stories. They didn't seem to have any sympathy for Maya Godnani when she was convicted (and rightly so - criminals like her also deserve severe punishments). Now, they don't seem to be interested in any stories of 1993 victims and their families - how they coped with the loss and sufferings from all these years.

Late B Raman Ex-RAW officer who headed the Pakistan Desk at the Research and Analysis Wing : Ex-RAW officer disturbed by"deception of officers of the investigating agencies " http://linkis.com/m.rediff.com/news/co/zCJ1k
The part that is disturbing is that an ex-RAW officer is making comments to the press on a decision taken by the SC. Given the clout and the apparent interest Mr Raman has in the case, he should have deposed in front of the court and made his point of view evident. I don't think he has done anything of the sort. As a person with a legitimate role in the arrest of Yakub Memon, his testimony could have made a difference. Instead he chooses to openly bad mouth the decision of the Supreme Court to the press. Its one thing if a celeb with no understanding of the way the GoI works rattles of tweets/comments. Its quite something else when a senior technocrat does the same. As for the decision, there charge sheet and the judgement is quite voluminous. Would probably put Tolstoy's Anna Karenina to shame. Unless one knows all the facts, commenting on the fairness of the verdict is difficult. I'd expect our SC to do a fair and just job based on the case/evidence provided to them. Its the investigating agencies whom I don't think have come clean on this. Probably Yakub Memon didn't reveal all that he was supposed to as per their deal at the time of his arrest/surrender , or maybe its just chicanery by the investigative authorities.

The part that is disturbing is that an ex-RAW officer is making comments to the press on a decision taken by the SC.
Mr.Raman is dead . His comments are from an unpublished interview/article which were published with the permission of his brother.

Mr.Raman is dead . His comments are from an unpublished interview/article which were published with the permission of his brother.
Apologies. Doesn't the point still stand? He made these (then unpublished) comments after the verdict, without actually being a part of the entire judicial process.

We deserve more 26/11 type attacks. There is more sympathy for terrorists amongst our public than for victims of countless terror attacks. Rotten mentality amongst many even on ICF.
You have zero clue don''t you? the very reason the likes of US has such a robust intelligence network is because it constantly bargains with it's enemies, provides amnesty and money to a lot of people who willingly help their investigation. Counter intelligence is big game, and we have to go for the long haul, not some low hanging fruit Clueless people going herr derp murder kill all terrorists/muslims is not going to help anything and it is also very clear when people have agenda while opening threads. If it was upto you you would have hanged the courier who used to deliver Osama's letters instead of using him to get to Osama. This is nothing to do with sympathy, it is doing what is practical to attract more defectors and people willing to switch sides for amnesty.

Enough of sympathy for a terrorist. Hang him and get done with it than showing whole world we are a buzdil nation cant even hang the lone terrorist we caught just like kasab.
Exactly. No wonder we are such a soft nation. We find sympathy even for hardened terrorists. Actually, our entire history is laced with several examples of going "soft" on the enemy. One of the arguments these "eminent" people are making is that those who actually planted the explosives have been let off with a life term, so why hang Yakub. So, instead of making a case for hanging all of them, they are saying " Spare this guy also because people who indulged in more heinous crimes have been spared." This kind of Lahori logic can only come from "eminent intellectuals" in India. Just look at the case of NDTV. It is running daily interviews with some Tom, Dick or Harry who seems to think poor Yakub is getting a raw deal. This is the same channel, which after Gujarat riots, was finding every single Muslim victim of riots and running their stories. They didn't seem to have any sympathy for Maya Godnani when she was convicted (and rightly so - criminals like her also deserve severe punishments). Now, they don't seem to be interested in any stories of 1993 victims and their families - how they coped with the loss and sufferings from all these years.
Did a quick glance of recent news on conutries who are not as bujdil as India and are very prompt in hanging people. In Malaysia Two former cops sentenced to death for murder http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/07/27/Court-cops-get-death/ In Kuwait 4 sentenced to death in Kuwait http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/world/07/28/15/4-sentenced-death-kuwait In Egypt Six sentenced to death in absentia over Ghad-Al Thawra Party storming case http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/136244/Egypt/Politics-/Six-sentenced-to-death-in-absentia-over-GhadAl-Tha.aspx As per logic given by some of the posters, all of these are very non-bujdil countries and least likely to have terrorist attacks. India should try to be like these countries.

You have zero clue don''t you? the very reason the likes of US has such a robust intelligence network is because it constantly bargains with it's enemies, provides amnesty and money to a lot of people who willingly help their investigation. Counter intelligence is big game, and we have to go for the long haul, not some low hanging fruit Clueless people going herr derp murder kill all terrorists/muslims is not going to help anything and it is also very clear when people have agenda while opening threads. If it was upto you you would have hanged the courier who used to deliver Osama's letters instead of using him to get to Osama. This is nothing to do with sympathy, it is doing what is practical to attract more defectors and people willing to switch sides for amnesty.
Yeah, US went for a long haul by executing Saddam Hussian and Che Guevera. So much for counter intelligence.

Did a quick glance of recent news on conutries who are not as bujdil as India and are very prompt in hanging people. In Malaysia Two former cops sentenced to death for murder http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/07/27/Court-cops-get-death/ In Kuwait 4 sentenced to death in Kuwait http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/global-filipino/world/07/28/15/4-sentenced-death-kuwait In Egypt Six sentenced to death in absentia over Ghad-Al Thawra Party storming case http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/136244/Egypt/Politics-/Six-sentenced-to-death-in-absentia-over-GhadAl-Tha.aspx As per logic given by some of the posters, all of these are very non-bujdil countries and least likely to have terrorist attacks. India should try to be like these countries.
What warped logic is this? Seriously? Think about what you have posted again. Had any country faced a terror attack of the kind we witnessed spared its perpetrators? All those bargaining for a life sentence for this man, let me ask you one question- Has this man even admitted his guilt and shown remorse and shown any inclination to help serve humanity? All he has been saying is: "Tiger did everything, Tiger was involved. I am innocent." You guys are saying that he is guilty and deserves punishment, but the man himself is not even willing to admit his guilt. By the way, for the warped logic - here's another country that issues the death penalty much more frequently than India and its execution list in 2015 alone: http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/execution-list-2015

So the message you want to give terrorists is you can kill as many as you want. But we will not hang but we will feed you and keep you confined. Good luck explaining that to the people who lost their loved ones. They need some closure. Typing all this non sense behind keyboard look good as long as someone doesn't have close experience.

I see a lot of Police security and patrol vans here in Hyderabad :nervous: Owaisi's comments are one reason and the demographics of Hyd. So Rajnath Singh is at Rashtrapathi Bhavan now and and he will convey Ministry of Home Affairs advice ( no clemency ) to President.

So the message you want to give terrorists is you can kill as many as you want. But we will not hang but we will feed you and keep you confined. Good luck explaining that to the people who lost their loved ones. They need some closure. Typing all this non sense behind keyboard look good as long as someone doesn't have close experience.
Just an example on your argument, Late PM Rajiv gandhi's family has asked for clemency for his killers. and yes, after this jihadist suicide bombers would be very scared in planning terror activities in India.

http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/editorials/yakub-memon-shouldnt-hang/
Israel — beset, like India, by terrorism — hasn’t executed anyone since 1962. Its first application of the sentence was in the case of Meir Tobianski, a soldier executed on treason charges in 1948 — and established, a year later, to have been innocent. Though the US and China retain the death penalty, the global trend is 58 for to 140 against. - See more at: http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/editorials/yakub-memon-shouldnt-hang/#sthash.moHl9mlK.dpuf

Just an example on your argument' date=' [b']Late PM Rajiv gandhi's family has asked for clemency for his killers. and yes, after this jihadist suicide bombers would be very scared in planning terror activities in India.
Pretty dumb example to give. Late PM Rajiv Gandhi's family did not face financial pressures after the bread winner in their family passed away. One can't really say the same for kin of many of the victims of these attacks. In fact, 1600 members of families of victims of these attacks have signed a memorandum asking Maharashtra CM to ensure the hanging is indeed conducted. So, there goes out of the window your comparison with families of victims asking for clemency. http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/hang-yakub-memon-demand-kin-of-1993-mumbai-blasts-victims/

Last minute SC hearing to be held at 2 AM today. Behind one criminal, we are wasting so many resources in review petition after review petition. How many judges have to approve this statement? Why does President have to reject a mercy petition twice? Why does Governor of MH have to even hear a mercy petition - is Governor even entitled to pardon a death sentence?

Just an example on your argument, Late PM Rajiv gandhi's family has asked for clemency for his killers. and yes, after this jihadist suicide bombers would be very scared in planning terror activities in India.
Do you really believe that ? That move is basically to get people support and win peoples heart. Sonia Gandhi giving up PM is similar to that. Politicians play calculated moves we don't have to fall for them. What about all those who died because of the bomb blast. The security personnel families so Gandhi family asked for clemency did all other families did that too ?. I wonder if the judge considered that as part of the appeal.

You have to wonder about a country's priorities when it spends more energy, resources and time agonising about saving a convicted terrorist of 20 years+ instead of responding to a terrorist attack a few days ago. Incredible.

The only reason Memon came back was he looked at what lay ahead – Pakistan – and thought he would rather choose to pick his punishment. Who can blame him? If you ask me, the only circumstance under which I would like to see Yakub Memon live, is in exile, on a one way flight to Pakistan to meet the people he collaborated with and sold out in return for the peace of his own conscience. His death would not be on India’s hands. And his life would be in those of his own choices. These are the constitutions of death penalties. The choices we make come back to hang us. Nobody hanged Yakub Memon. Many fathers didn’t come back that day. Pity he didn’t look to see if he would be one of them. http://www.dailyo.in/politics/yakub-menon-to-hang-death-penalty-july-30-mumbai-blasts/story/1/5319.html

Justice should not only be done, but perceived to be done as well. If Afzal Guru and Yakub Memon are being put to death, while Rajiv Gandhi's assassins, Rajaona, Bhullar receive support from state governments and their execution is stopped/stayed or if Kodnani and Bajrangi are roaming around freely during their life sentences then the system is not conveying the right message. Justice cannot be about satisfying the collective conscience - that is majoritarianism. I was shocked to read one of the two judges in yesterday's ruling state something along the lines of what kind of a person are you trying to save to the other judge, rather than making his comments strictly on the merits of the case.

If perception of justice was the sole criterion on which this trial that has lasted 22 years was based on' date=' then other members of Memon family would not have been spared, some of whom have been acquitted of all charges.[/quote'] +1 Precisely the point Libtards fail/refuse to see.

It was wrong to accept multiple mercy petitions... What is the maximum limit of accepting mercy petitions? Lawyers can manipulate the system by submitting multiple mercy petitions at strategic times to delay the sentencing...

It was wrong to accept multiple mercy petitions... What is the maximum limit of accepting mercy petitions? Lawyers can manipulate the system by submitting multiple mercy petitions at strategic times to delay the sentencing...
Dada, sentencing was done a long time back. These are last ditch efforts which have seldom if ever yielded a result in favor of the person being sentenced. Relax, Yakub Memon will be dead in a couple of hours, the country will be safer and the collective conscience satisfied. At the same time Kodnani will do Dandia at the next Garba and Bhullar and Rajaona will sing to tunes of Daler Mehdi because they don't qualify under rarest of rare. For what reasons, I am yet to read a compelling argument.

I've mixed feelings. YM was involved but he returned to India on his own... He has the choice to stay abroad like Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim... It now appears he made a stupid decision to return back and he now faces the gallows... This will also emphasise that no fugitive should return back and face the dire consequences... Punish him but to condemn him to death while all others had their sentences commuted to Life Imprisonment' date=' is not fair...[/quote'] @ Outy... This is what I posted earlier, on the first page of this topic. I don't know about Rajoana or Kodnani cases and its merits. I'm all for Yakub to get justice and so as for his victims... But IMO, all legal process has been done. At present we are just witnessing waste of time and resources just to satisfy a particular community or group of activists...

@ Outy... This is what I posted earlier' date=' on the first page of this topic. I don't know about Rajoana or Kodnani cases and its merits. I'm all for Yakub to get justice and so as for his victims... But IMO, all legal process has been done. At present we are just witnessing waste of time and resources just to satisfy a particular community or group of activists...[/quote'] What's happening now is still a legal process - CJI is not allowing a last minute petition illegally I would assume. All these checks and balances have been built into the law to avoid any unjustifiable deaths. They have never worked is another thing due to collective conscience.

Country? LOL! Like a couple of jaahil southern states waiting to be integrated with humanity. We'll get there in some time.
Couple of Jahil southern states only? Like California, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Washington, Oregon etc? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple of Jahil southern states only? Like California, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Washington, Oregon etc? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Califronia? Are you kidding me? Let's go down your list one by one. When was the last execution in CA?