Yakub Memon to Hang On July 30 for India's Deadliest Terror Attack

Gollum

Just an example on your argument' date=' [b']Late PM Rajiv gandhi's family has asked for clemency for his killers. and yes, after this jihadist suicide bombers would be very scared in planning terror activities in India.
Pretty dumb example to give. Late PM Rajiv Gandhi's family did not face financial pressures after the bread winner in their family passed away. One can't really say the same for kin of many of the victims of these attacks. In fact, 1600 members of families of victims of these attacks have signed a memorandum asking Maharashtra CM to ensure the hanging is indeed conducted. So, there goes out of the window your comparison with families of victims asking for clemency. http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/hang-yakub-memon-demand-kin-of-1993-mumbai-blasts-victims/

Last minute SC hearing to be held at 2 AM today. Behind one criminal, we are wasting so many resources in review petition after review petition. How many judges have to approve this statement? Why does President have to reject a mercy petition twice? Why does Governor of MH have to even hear a mercy petition - is Governor even entitled to pardon a death sentence?

Just an example on your argument, Late PM Rajiv gandhi's family has asked for clemency for his killers. and yes, after this jihadist suicide bombers would be very scared in planning terror activities in India.
Do you really believe that ? That move is basically to get people support and win peoples heart. Sonia Gandhi giving up PM is similar to that. Politicians play calculated moves we don't have to fall for them. What about all those who died because of the bomb blast. The security personnel families so Gandhi family asked for clemency did all other families did that too ?. I wonder if the judge considered that as part of the appeal.

You have to wonder about a country's priorities when it spends more energy, resources and time agonising about saving a convicted terrorist of 20 years+ instead of responding to a terrorist attack a few days ago. Incredible.

The only reason Memon came back was he looked at what lay ahead – Pakistan – and thought he would rather choose to pick his punishment. Who can blame him? If you ask me, the only circumstance under which I would like to see Yakub Memon live, is in exile, on a one way flight to Pakistan to meet the people he collaborated with and sold out in return for the peace of his own conscience. His death would not be on India’s hands. And his life would be in those of his own choices. These are the constitutions of death penalties. The choices we make come back to hang us. Nobody hanged Yakub Memon. Many fathers didn’t come back that day. Pity he didn’t look to see if he would be one of them. http://www.dailyo.in/politics/yakub-menon-to-hang-death-penalty-july-30-mumbai-blasts/story/1/5319.html

Justice should not only be done, but perceived to be done as well. If Afzal Guru and Yakub Memon are being put to death, while Rajiv Gandhi's assassins, Rajaona, Bhullar receive support from state governments and their execution is stopped/stayed or if Kodnani and Bajrangi are roaming around freely during their life sentences then the system is not conveying the right message. Justice cannot be about satisfying the collective conscience - that is majoritarianism. I was shocked to read one of the two judges in yesterday's ruling state something along the lines of what kind of a person are you trying to save to the other judge, rather than making his comments strictly on the merits of the case.

If perception of justice was the sole criterion on which this trial that has lasted 22 years was based on, then other members of Memon family would not have been spared, some of whom have been acquitted of all charges.

If perception of justice was the sole criterion on which this trial that has lasted 22 years was based on' date=' then other members of Memon family would not have been spared, some of whom have been acquitted of all charges.[/quote'] +1 Precisely the point Libtards fail/refuse to see.

This whole drama over a convicted terrorist is nauseating. India deserve more such attacks.
Spot on. We refuse to learn. Right from Prithviraj Chauhan's time until today, we are too soft on our enemies. Also why we were under foreign rule for 1000 years.

It was wrong to accept multiple mercy petitions... What is the maximum limit of accepting mercy petitions? Lawyers can manipulate the system by submitting multiple mercy petitions at strategic times to delay the sentencing...
Dada, sentencing was done a long time back. These are last ditch efforts which have seldom if ever yielded a result in favor of the person being sentenced. Relax, Yakub Memon will be dead in a couple of hours, the country will be safer and the collective conscience satisfied. At the same time Kodnani will do Dandia at the next Garba and Bhullar and Rajaona will sing to tunes of Daler Mehdi because they don't qualify under rarest of rare. For what reasons, I am yet to read a compelling argument.

I've mixed feelings. YM was involved but he returned to India on his own... He has the choice to stay abroad like Tiger Memon and Dawood Ibrahim... It now appears he made a stupid decision to return back and he now faces the gallows... This will also emphasise that no fugitive should return back and face the dire consequences... Punish him but to condemn him to death while all others had their sentences commuted to Life Imprisonment' date=' is not fair...[/quote'] @ Outy... This is what I posted earlier, on the first page of this topic. I don't know about Rajoana or Kodnani cases and its merits. I'm all for Yakub to get justice and so as for his victims... But IMO, all legal process has been done. At present we are just witnessing waste of time and resources just to satisfy a particular community or group of activists...

@ Outy... This is what I posted earlier' date=' on the first page of this topic. I don't know about Rajoana or Kodnani cases and its merits. I'm all for Yakub to get justice and so as for his victims... But IMO, all legal process has been done. At present we are just witnessing waste of time and resources just to satisfy a particular community or group of activists...[/quote'] What's happening now is still a legal process - CJI is not allowing a last minute petition illegally I would assume. All these checks and balances have been built into the law to avoid any unjustifiable deaths. They have never worked is another thing due to collective conscience.

Country? LOL! Like a couple of jaahil southern states waiting to be integrated with humanity. We'll get there in some time.
Couple of Jahil southern states only? Like California, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Washington, Oregon etc? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk