Windows 10 Rollout

Kalia_Test

My PC is on a dual boot too and I am worried about Windows overwriting the current GRUB menu and installing it's own bootloader. If it doesn't respect my Linux OS, installing another Grub could be a pain, specially because my Linux sits on a logical volume. Did your Grub menu get affected with the new upgrade?
As I said, this is an upgrade not an install ( so only files will be updated/replaced, some new programs like Microsoft Edge will be installed and unnecessary old files/configs of previous version of OS deleted - an install is the one that will ask for partition to install/format,file system, etc - in the upgrade, the partition used will be the one on which original OS is installed and it will not ask you anything again ) So, no question of it touching the bootloader. I had kicked out Windows bootloader and replaced with Grub when I had installed Linux Mint. This upgrade (expectedly) did not touch it. P.S : Reinstalling Grub should not be that difficult. It is a bit tricky in that we need to turn off UEFI settings ( varies by manufacturer ) before installing Linux/Grub but now there is lot of documentation in Ubuntu forums

I was worried because an insider preview update a few months ago made my Linux dissappear and Windows started as default. I am amazed at how we are getting a brand new OS, a totally different boot mechanism(upgrading from Win7), and all that extra Metro stuff without changing a single thing. This is so cool.

Is it only free for a certain period or you can upgrade it any time you want? I want to wait and check the feedback before upgrading.
There was an article today on NDTV stating it is not completely ready for July launch and may have stability issues. They recommend waiting for a while.

Got mine :yess: I thought it is free for genuine windows :hmmm: I haven't read anywhere that it is free only for a year
You can upgrade it for free within year with genuine windows . For pirated version you can install beta version for free I think but never normal..

One of my older laptops became zippier after I installed Ubuntu (w/o any hardware upgrades) .... If not for propitiatory window based programs, I would switch to Ubuntu on my main laptop too PS People should also check Ubuntu out esp. if they do not have any particular attraction to Windows based programs .... Ubuntu Desktop .... Ubuntu can run some windows based program by installing wine but I have not tried it PPS Ubuntu gave me some Wifi connectivity problems but the issue was solved by reading Ubuntu forums

My lap is loving Win 10... Earlier it used to take zillions of years to come out of hibernation, and periodically the mouse would hang etc. I have a Lenovo and some of its bloat ware didn't help things as well. Now, its almost like using a new and upgraded lap.

It is not as easy to install for everyone. I tried it but led to "report (check pc) isn't available right now" in the app .... then I tried to install it via media creation tool and got "something happened" error :cantstop: Saw the video below on how to fix that error: -ojFyiI2fcQ Changed everything to US, however after downloading and verifying, and during the media creation process, i again got the "something happened" message! Repeated it a few times but no success There is a joke on the new name for Win 10 - "Win 10 Something Happened"

Did the following: * Increased system data partition to 500mb (default was 100mb on win 7) on C drive * Closed samsung magician software and antivirus And it worked and started installing w10. However during installation for some reason it aborted and restored my PC to its original state (w7) :wall: Now trying it on my another laptop with win 8.1 .... On this laptop, the process would hopefully be smooth