"Idiots at every step" : Female IAS officer complains of sexual harrasment

amiret

New Delhi: "I can only pray that no woman is born in this country," says a young IAS officer Riju Bafna, in a Facebook post that has gone viral. "Idiots are lined up at every step," she says, describing her experience of combatting sexual harassment. Ms Bafna, who is a trainee bureaucrat posted in Seoni in Madhya Pradesh, reveals that she filed a sexual harassment case last week against a member of the state's human rights commission for sending her "indecent messages". Ms Bafna, who is in her 20s, says a police complaint led to the alleged harasser's swift removal from his post, but it was far from a satisfactory ending. That's because, according to her post, a lawyer was present in court when she showed up to record her statement or testimony. She requested that he and others be asked to leave the courtroom - "I was uncomfortable giving my statement in front of so many people," she says. The lawyer then allegedly shouted at her, saying, "You might be an officer in your office but not in the Court." Ms Bafna says she explained her concerns to the judge as well. "When I said to Judicial Magistrate that he should be careful of presence of other people when a woman is giving statement under sexual harassment case, he said that you are young and that's why demanding such things."
http://www.ndtv.com/india-news/idiots-at-every-step-says-ias-officer-who-filed-sex-harassment-case-1203391

Her facebook post

Hi everyone. I am posting this message to share my experience with judiciary on a sexual harassment case filed by me. Santosh Chaubey, Aayogmitra of MP Human Rights Commission was sending me indecent messages last week. I had filed an FIR against him and criminal action is being pursued against him. He was immediately removed from his job, thanks to the swift action by my Collector, Shri Bharat Yadav. Today, I went to give my statement to the Judicial Magistrate. While I was giving my statement, an advocate named Lalit Sharma was standing next, overhearing my statement, along with others in the court. I asked the judicial magistrate to ask others to leave as I was uncomfortable giving my statement in front of so many people. On saying this, Lalit Sharma started shouting at me, saying "how dare you suggest me to leave, I am an advocate here and you might be an officer in your office but not in the Court". I told him that the privacy I am demanding is not as an IAS officer but as a woman and laws provide me with that. He started arguing and eventually left. Such is the state of affairs for women in this country. When I said to Judicial Magistrate that he should be careful of presence of other people when a woman is giving statement under sexual harassment case, he said that you are young and that's why demanding such things. Insensitive people are lined up at every step and people are highly insensitive towards our sufferings. If you are born in this country, better prepare yourself for struggle at every step
https://www.facebook.com/rijubafna/posts/10155850758845263

Not sure about this, why does she need to read out her statement? Cannot she just provide the written stztement to the judge along with the message copies? And she can't provide a statement in the court, but is ok to give it in Facebook? "I can only pray that no woman is born in this country," Such gross generalizing statements are unbecoming of an IAS officer.

Indian society is completely messed up. And women share the blame as well. The mothers who mollycoddle these kids who then grow up to be men with double standards. Sexuality being a taboo subject doesn't help either. Generations of men growing up not knowing how to handle this new found liberty. Any women wearing slighlty revealing dresses will be automatically assumed as willing and loose moral. Many Indian men still believe that all White women are willing to have sex with anyone. A perception that came out of watching Hollywood.

Indian society is completely messed up. And women share the blame as well. The mothers who mollycoddle these kids who then grow up to be men with double standards. Sexuality being a taboo subject doesn't help either. Generations of men growing up not knowing how to handle this new found liberty. Any women wearing slighlty revealing dresses will be automatically assumed as willing and loose moral. Many Indian men still believe that all White women are willing to have sex with anyone. A perception that came out of watching Hollywood.
Hollywood films haven't just affected men, girls too. They are more open to talk about sex, indulge in intimate relationships, even, girls still in school.

Why to always blame society
In the above incident a lesbian was harrassing a girl and later stabbed her . Now which society told her to do this?

Why to always blame society In the above incident a lesbian was harrassing a girl and later stabbed her . Now which society told her to do this?
Really you pick up one case vs a million which happens every month? Poor post

Hollywood films haven't just affected men' date=' girls too. They are more open to talk about sex, indulge in intimate relationships, even, girls still in school.[/quote'] That is still.much less harmful than a regressive society. And in todays day and how will you shield kids from such things? Better sex education from the parents prevents this

That is still.much less harmful than a regressive society. And in todays day and how will you shield kids from such things? Better sex education from the parents prevents this
I didnt say it is harmful. I believe in free world and let people follow their choices.

"I can only pray that no woman is born in this country,"
Probably went a bit too far with the above statement. But,i do agree that there are way too many morons in our country who have no clue about behaving themselves with women.Sexual harassment is way too prevalent particularly in work places and it'll probably won't change any time soon.

Probably went a bit too far with the above statement. But,i do agree that there are way too many morons in our country who have no clue about behaving themselves with women.Sexual harassment is way too prevalent particularly in work places and it'll probably won't change any time soon.
Nothing wrong with what she said. India for a developing nation is a fecked up country for women.

Nothing wrong with what she said. India for a developing nation is a fecked up country for women.
The bolded part is true. But,"I can only pray that no woman is born in this country" that's taking it a bit too far in my opinion.I'm not denying that we have way too many morons but at the same time that particular statement points to gross generalization.