'Sholay' completes 40 years

Sir john

The greatest film ever made. Have probably watched it 100+ times and it never loses its brilliance like Tendulkar's 136! Am so glad that my father took me to watch it somewhat forcefully during one of its re-releases in the 80s. From a more purist perspective, Deewar is better but this movie is the God of all masalas!

The greatest film ever made. Have probably watched it 100+ times and it never loses its brilliance like Tendulkar's 136! Am so glad that my father took me to watch it somewhat forcefully during one of its re-releases in the 80s. From a more purist perspective, Deewar is better but this movie is the God of all masalas!
Sholay is an institution of film making. Cinematically, one of the best films ever made in Indian cinema.

Maybe I have bad taste in movies but I never understood why Sholay and DDLJ are considered such monumental. I just don't see anything out of ordinary about either.
Even I think DDLJ was pathetic, but cannot say same about Sholay. It is an institution of film making. There are not many Hindi films which have used language of cinema so coherently. It has everything one would look in a film. The most important aspect is the editing and it was the only nomination in which the film won an award.

Maybe I have bad taste in movies but I never understood why Sholay and DDLJ are considered such monumental. I just don't see anything out of ordinary about either.
I think DDLJ was okay. Though films like QSQT, HAKHK, MPK tried to break the mould of the aimless 80s so did a lot of less commercially successful films like 1942 A Love Story, but DDLJ did change the narrative of Bollywood in general. On the other hand, it was Deewar and Zanjeer which had already changed the narrative of Bollywood but Sholay took it one step further. It was lambasted by critics on its release, unlike DDLJ. It survived and became the highest grossing Indian movie ever, adjusted for inflation. Maybe a couple of movies have overtaken it now, but given the only marketing involved with Sholay was word of mouth, it is an incredible achievement. Every scene in the movie is an exhibition of brilliant craftsmanship. Also, to analyze such movies it helps to transport in time where things like 70 mm and slow motion were seen for the first time in Indian cinema. It was a visual spectacle given its locales, with a story and direction which kept pace with each other at every step.

It's been said so many times in retrospect that Amitabh Bachchan's superstardom would not have been possible without Salim-Javed, like Rajesh Khanna's without Kishore Kumar. This movie is the epitome of the Salim-Javed combination along with Deewar and Trishul, IMO. The manner in which characters develop in these movies was simply unprecedented in Indian mainstream cinema. Yeah there were Guru Dutt movies and some Dev Anand/Dilip Kumar ones where character development over the storyline was given a chance, but in general it was about how the protagonist would react to a situation rather than create one. In two words, Salim-Javed! :hail: