Crime against women in India | Discussion thread

Detonator

Nothing to do with political. Rape culture is less in TN . Even among south states chennai and TN cities has very less reports. After the eve teasing incident of Sarika in the 90s they completely stepped up in implementing the laws against eve teasers. You could see women cops catching perpetrators all the time in plain clothes. Police vigils massively stepped up in the night. How many lady cops there are in delhi.. There are plenty in TN. Just because Delhi police force is incompetent doesn't mean others are the same way. There is no city without crime. But where it differs is what the government does about it instead of saying "I don't even feel safe about my daughter"
'Rape culture is less in TN' - means there is some 'rape culture' in TN. Haye Ye kya bol diya apne :ohmy:

What Delhi Can Learn From Chennai on Women’s Safety http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2015/03/16/what-delhi-can-learn-from-chennai-on-womens-safety/

Among the bad news about women’s safety in India in recent years, Chennai, the capital of the southern state of Tamil Nadu, stands out as an example of where things have become brighter. In 2000, Chennai had the greatest number and highest rate of recorded crimes against women of any city in the country, according to data compiled by the National Crime Records Bureau. These crimes include rape, deaths related to disputes over dowry payments, kidnapping and abduction, cruelty by a husband or his relatives, assault on a woman with the intent to “outrage her modesty,” and sex trafficking. There were 4,037 such incidences recorded in Chennai in 2000, a rate of 59.8 per 100,000 women, but by 2013, the number of crimes against women in that city had fallen to 838, a rate of 19.46 for every 100,000 females. That’s the largest fall in the rate of such crimes recorded in any city in India over that period. By comparison, during the same time in the city of Delhi, the rate of crimes against women rose to 151.13 such crimes per 100,000 women in 2013 from 17.6 per 100,000 females in 2000. That corresponds to a rise from 2,122 reports of crimes against women in Delhi in 2000 up to 11,449 such incidents in 2013. Repeated calls to a spokesman for Delhi police went unanswered on Monday. The force in the past has said that the increase in number of reported crimes is a result of women gaining courage to come forward in recent years as the issue of female safety has become more prominent in the country following the gang rape and murder of a female student in the capital in 2012 that gained global attention. To be sure, reporting rates particularly of crimes against women can be low and the figures from both cities might not represent an perfectly accurate picture of the situation. But taking that into account and assuming the relative size of the numbers from each city are correct, Delhi might have something to learn from its southern cousin about measures to help lower the incidence of attacks on women. We asked Chennai-based women’s rights activists and the city’s police to explain what has been put in place in the Tamil Nadu capital that has led to improvements for women there. Police Sensitization and Presence Dr. Prasanna Poornachandra, who heads the Chennai chapter of the International Foundation for Prevention of Crime and Victim Care, says that increased police presence and a change in attitudes among police officers towards women has helped the situation for women on the ground. “We can visibly see the police all over, and I think that is one thing that plays a big role in reducing fear of crime and deterrence of crime,” Dr. Poornachandra says. She adds that if approached, patrolling officers are responsive and supportive. “I feel comfortable walking up to them. It’s a very positive response from the victim’s point of view.” Chennai police say they now bring together women’s rights activists, the transport department, medical officers, the official public prosecutor, among others, every three months to update their training on how to respond to crimes against women. “The crime advisory committee is chaired by the commissioner of police and by a member of a reputed NGO,” says a senior Chennai police official working on women’s safety, who asked not to be named. All-women police stations are also functioning across the city. The official says that the aim is to help police officers have a greater sense of empathy with the victim. “We put ourselves in their place, and we act,” the officer said. Ease of Reporting Shiamala Baby, founder and president of the Chennai-based Forum for Women’s Rights and Development says that the city still needs to do more to improve the ease of reporting crimes. “Many women come to us after facing difficulties in reporting to the police,” she says. Ms. Baby adds that the simple answer is not women police but police officers of both genders who are sensitive to the needs of those who come to them with complaints. The Chennai police official said that targeted action is being taken to simplify reporting. Mobile complaint and counselling units travel to different neighborhoods to seek out complaints from those who might be hesitant to come forward. “The concept is that police are going to the public instead of public coming to the police,” the officer says. A police inspector, a lawyer and a counsellor travel with each van and record complaints. Inspectors are ranked by the commissioner on their area’s performance in reducing crimes against women. Two special units at the city level oversee women and child safety, and there are also dedicated helplines for women and children. Safer transport Ms. Baby, whose NGO has worked with the Tamil Nadu transport department, says making women feel safer in public transport goes a long way to improving overall safety in the city. Police studied Chennai’s bus routes to identify those with the highest reported instances of harassment. Now, a woman constable travels on each bus on those routes. “If there is any problem on the bus, [the constable] would immediately call nearby mobile parties”for backup, the police official said. Long-term Action Though Ms. Poornachandra, of the International Foundation for Prevention of Crime and Victim Care, thinks that the police have improved women’s safety in public spaces, incidents of domestic violence often go unreported. The root of the problem, she says, is the harmful attitudes Indian men have towards women. “If you really want to reduce or eradicate crimes against women, you need to start focussing on prevention, to tell people what is acceptable and what is not acceptable,” Ms. Poornachandra says. Awareness campaigns must target people in offices, schools, as well as in public spaces, she adds. The Chennai police say they carry out awareness programs, particularly among the young, on subjects including sexual harassment, assault, rape and cyber crimes. Nimisha Jaiswal is a freelance journalist based in Delhi.

Nothing to do with political. Rape culture is less in TN . Even among south states chennai and TN cities has very less reports. After the eve teasing incident of Sarika in the 90s they completely stepped up in implementing the laws against eve teasers. You could see women cops catching perpetrators all the time in plain clothes. Police vigils massively stepped up in the night. How many lady cops there are in delhi.. There are plenty in TN. Just because Delhi police force is incompetent doesn't mean others are the same way. There is no city without crime. But where it differs is what the government does about it instead of saying "I don't even feel safe about my daughter"
+1. He basically says "Yo Delhi people haz balls and we are not afraid to rape or to report rape" :--D Adding to the points above, TN police is one of the well-equipped and highly efficient intel. I think there aren't many police forces that are equipped with drones, and ATV's for beach patrol. And becomes 5x efficient if Jaya is the CM. Remember how they manhandled karuna and t r baalu? I wouldn't say TN has no rape culture. Taking a cue from the article BG posted, people have very well realized that they won't get away if they commit a rape or any other crime. Hence the low stats.

+1. He basically says "Yo Delhi people haz balls and we are not afraid to rape or to report rape" :--D Adding to the points above, TN police is one of the well-equipped and highly efficient intel. I think there aren't many police forces that are equipped with drones, and ATV's for beach patrol. And becomes 5x efficient if Jaya is the CM. Remember how they manhandled karuna and t r baalu? I wouldn't say TN has no rape culture. Taking a cue from the article BG posted, people have very well realized that they won't get away if they commit a rape or any other crime. Hence the low stats.
:hysterical:

Rape in southern states is indeed less' date=' haven't visited Kerala so don't know about that one. [b']North India has a lot to learn.
I think khap panchajayatts and such barbaric practises are still prevalent in most Northern states..So people who migrate from such places can be dangerous with zero respect for women and their freedom.also people like Mulayam with bad mouth wouldn't hlep either. Yes Rural women of Southern states get more respect than their Northern counterparts.While Urban women in North states enjoy more freedom than their counter parts from the Southern region.

its a familiar sequence where one southie proposes Delhi has rape culture' date=' another southie certifies it and then another one expresses desire to shift capital...:giggle:[/quote'] Bound to be simplifications and crass generalizations in such a contentious issue. I've seen a fair amount of both North and South, and one can't really get away with making sweeping statements of this kind.

Sad situation in Ind. Would not recommend anyone who does not have a family in Ind to tour Ind 

The issue is exacerbated by a number of factors including overpopulation, unfavorable sex ratio, low ethical standards, lack of self pride (one should be proud enough to not take advantage of a helpless person), easy availability of x-rated content on internet fueling desire, words like rape being used freely and jokingly in Ind, law and order issues, etc. 

1 hour ago, zen said:

Sad situation in Ind. Would not recommend anyone who does not have a family in Ind to tour Ind 

The issue is exacerbated by a number of factors including overpopulation, unfavorable sex ratio, low ethical standards, lack of self pride (one should be proud enough to not take advantage of a helpless person), easy availability of x-rated content on internet fueling desire, words like rape being used freely and jokingly in Ind, law and order issues, etc. 

Not justifying this but in the west these days a racial bias or slur will make huge headlines and based on this people point out there is so much bias,intolerance etc. but given an option via a time machine as a brown person if people ask me would I prefer to live in the west in the 50s,60s and 70s or in the current millenia in Donald trumps America I would in a heartbeat choose the latter...but obviously it doesn't justify what is going on now.

4 hours ago, maniac said:

Not justifying this but in the west these days a racial bias or slur will make huge headlines and based on this people point out there is so much bias,intolerance etc. but given an option via a time machine as a brown person if people ask me would I prefer to live in the west in the 50s,60s and 70s or in the current millenia in Donald trumps America I would in a heartbeat choose the latter...but obviously it doesn't justify what is going on now.

As a society, we are progressing. Not so long ago, there was slavery in America. Going back a little further, armies used to keep women of the territories thry invaded (ISIS still does that) 

As we progress, such behaviors become more and more untolerable. We can't allow such rogue elements on our streets