Untried spinners with domestic experience

Vijy

As we know, Indian batsmen have been falling to spin a fair number of times. This is coupled to the lack of spinners in the domestic circuit, which has led to relatively experienced (read senior) bowlers like Mishra and Bhajji getting a chance. Hence, I am curious about what spin reserves exist. Has anyone seen some of the below spin bowlers in action? They have been mentioned as they did well in Ranji 2014-15 season. If so, please provide your comments regarding them. 1) S Purkayastha - plays in division C which is rather weak. Had an exceptional run in the middle, but form tailed off in the beginning and end. Also seems to be capable bat. (off-spin) 2) M Rangarajan - plays on spin-friendly TN pitches for half the matches. Has a decent record, and seems to be a bowling all-rounder. (off-spin) 3) J Yadav - did very well in Ranji season, and can bat as well. However, he came totally unstuck against SA 'A' and was underbowled in Irani match. (off-spin) 4) SS Quadri - the only full-time leg spinner on the list. Plays for weak team and division, but given paucity of leg spinners, seems to be the best bet along with Gopal (see below). 5) S Gopal - looked pretty promising in his 1st Ranji season. Did not get to bowl much in the most recent season, and performed somewhat under par. Underperformed against Aus 'A'. Batting seems to have improved considerably last season. (leg-spin) 6) Shahbaz Nadeem - seems to be more of a containing bowler better suited for short formats. A veteran in domestic cricket despite relatively young age. (slow-left arm orthodox) 7) Manan Sharma and Rahil Shah - both have played very few matches. Shah is pretty old, but has done very well on spin pitches of TN. Manan started off as allrounder but seems to have become more of a bowler. 8) Kuldeep Yadav and Amir Gani - the young 'uns who are upcoming. Yadav bowls chinaman, and is better known to audiences thanks to IPL and U19 exploits. I've not seen Gani bowl but many are impressed with his flight. Please feel free to add other names not mentioned here who are promising and may be considered for international cricket in the future.

Kuldeep Yadav should have been tried in A games.If we are looking future' date='we should groom Kuldeep instead of Harbhajan[/quote'] Kuldeep appears to be talented but he is very raw. With exceptions such as SRT, most people who debut with very little FC experience get hammered - in fact, even SRT's first 2-3 yrs were modest (by his standards).
Kuldeep appears to be talented but he is very raw. With exceptions such as SRT' date=' most people who debut with very little FC experience get hammered - in fact, even SRT's first 2-3 yrs were modest (by his standards).[/quote'] what are we gaining by playing Harbhajan.If a 19 years gains experience that would be more useful than a 36 year old.
what are we gaining by playing Harbhajan.If a 19 years gains experience that would be more useful than a 36 year old.
Nothing whatsoever. But, isn't there anyone in between? Mid to late 20s, with reasonable experience and stats? Hence, I posted the above list to ask for forum members' opinions.

Most of the spinners are too young or too old.Many are probably all rounders.We we consider the spinners selected for A games Jayant Yadav,Axar Patel,Karn Sharma,Shreyas Gopal are ahead in pecking order.Yadav does not have guaranteed place in UP playing 11,if he had played full season for his state team ,he could have made it ahead of Mishra,Harbhajan

Out of these untried ones I have seen only Kuldeep, Rangarajan and Shreyas bowl. TBH I feel all 3 have a long way to go before we even talk about their place in the side. Ashwin, Mishra and Ojha must be in our squad for the next 3 years before all these fellas. Apart from these 3 I will be following Harmeet Singh, was very impressed when I saw him.

Out of these untried ones I have seen only Kuldeep' date=' Rangarajan and Shreyas bowl. TBH I feel all 3 have a long way to go before we even talk about their place in the side. Ashwin, Mishra and Ojha must be in our squad for the next 3 years before all these fellas. Apart from these 3 I will be following Harmeet Singh, was very impressed when I saw him.[/quote'] Harmeet? I didn't know he was playing in any Ranji squad. I thought the Mumbai cricket management had already destroyed him.
what are we gaining by playing Harbhajan.If a 19 years gains experience that would be more useful than a 36 year old.
But if a 19 year old is thrashed, he will be forgotten. Spinners take time to develop. He needs 2-3 years of FC cricket and also needs to get fit.
Out of these untried ones I have seen only Kuldeep' date=' Rangarajan and Shreyas bowl. TBH I feel all 3 have a long way to go before we even talk about their place in the side. Ashwin, Mishra and Ojha must be in our squad for the next 3 years before all these fellas. Apart from these 3 I will be following Harmeet Singh, was very impressed when I saw him.[/quote'] Of these 3, who did you find to be closest to being a "developed" spinner?
Of these 3' date=' who did you find to be closest to being a "developed" spinner?[/quote'] For test cricket Shreyas Gopal. For T20 cricket Kuldeep. Rangarajan has been doing well on raging turners. I want to see him tested in tougher conditions. The person I miss most is Romesh Powar, he should have played at least 4 years of test cricket, when Bhajji was in decline mode and before the arrival of Ashwin.
For test cricket Shreyas Gopal. For T20 cricket Kuldeep. Rangarajan has been doing well on raging turners. I want to see him tested in tougher conditions. The person I miss most is Romesh Powar' date=' he should have played at least 4 years of test cricket, when Bhajji was in decline mode and before the arrival of Ashwin.[/quote'] Powar was a beautifully classical offie - closest to Prasanna. If Ranga does well on raging turners, he might be useful as the 3rd spinner on Indian spinning tracks. As for Gopal, statistically, the impression seems to be that he regressed quite a bit in the 2nd season? His batting came along pretty well, but his avgs in Ranji and India 'A' were so-so. It is interesting that Kuldeep is doing well in T20s, because his contemporary Amir Gani is also doing very well. Latter is claimed to be another classical offie a la Powar. Sarfaraz Khan was an AR in U19 but seems to be hardly bowling at senior level. Has a kid brother who has been considered promising.
Rahil Shah looked good when I watched him though admittedly on a rank turner in Chennai. Only 10 FC games but averages 20.
Yes, Shah's stats are impressive but he's played a lot on dust bowls. Having said that, if we serve up such pitches, we need people who can exploit them.
As we know, Indian batsmen have been falling to spin a fair number of times. This is coupled to the lack of spinners in the domestic circuit, which has led to relatively experienced (read senior) bowlers like Mishra and Bhajji getting a chance. Hence, I am curious about what spin reserves exist. Has anyone seen some of the below spin bowlers in action? They have been mentioned as they did well in Ranji 2014-15 season. If so, please provide your comments regarding them. 1) S Purkayastha - plays in division C which is rather weak. Had an exceptional run in the middle, but form tailed off in the beginning and end. Also seems to be capable bat. (off-spin) 2) M Rangarajan - plays on spin-friendly TN pitches for half the matches. Has a decent record, and seems to be a bowling all-rounder. (off-spin) 3) J Yadav - did very well in Ranji season, and can bat as well. However, he came totally unstuck against SA 'A' and was underbowled in Irani match. (off-spin) 4) SS Quadri - the only full-time leg spinner on the list. Plays for weak team and division, but given paucity of leg spinners, seems to be the best bet along with Gopal (see below). 5) S Gopal - looked pretty promising in his 1st Ranji season. Did not get to bowl much in the most recent season, and performed somewhat under par. Underperformed against Aus 'A'. Batting seems to have improved considerably last season. (leg-spin) 6) Shahbaz Nadeem - seems to be more of a containing bowler better suited for short formats. A veteran in domestic cricket despite relatively young age. (slow-left arm orthodox) 7) Manan Sharma and Rahil Shah - both have played very few matches. Shah is pretty old, but has done very well on spin pitches of TN. Manan started off as allrounder but seems to have become more of a bowler. 8) Kuldeep Yadav and Amir Gani - the young 'uns who are upcoming. Yadav bowls chinaman, and is better known to audiences thanks to IPL and U19 exploits. I've not seen Gani bowl but many are impressed with his flight. Please feel free to add other names not mentioned here who are promising and may be considered for international cricket in the future.
Out of this list..Rangarajan seems to be the only one...who can be a third spinner gopal doesn't bowl enough for karnataka....he seems to be a good young prospect but long way to go.....he should have atleast 3 to 4 season under his belt Kuldeep doesn't bowl regulalry for UP.....again a good prospect and has to develop his art Purkayastha .....could well be a one season wonder.....we have seen lot of guy like that who has done for one season and perished later.....we need atleast 2 to 3 seasons from him before taking a decision