Cricket’s Greatest Michael Clarke

As the Ashes 2015 comes to an end, Australian captain Michael Clarke brings the curtains down on a fine career. As a tribute to Michael, I am presenting you the video “Cricket’s Greatest Michael Clarke.†Watch the video to get a glimpse into his glorious eleven year cricket career. Interested to know what would be your message to Michael today, pls put it in the comments below. Let us acknowledge his achievements and compliment him on a great career! nzzFWk8oGiw

Actually true title' date=' can't think of bigger Michael Clarkes in cricket at least.[/quote'] Precambrian, when I look at him, I find so many positives - great batsman, an astute captain, gritty, someone who thrives in challenging situations - that its difficult to take my eyes away from him. He did a great job of rebuilding the Australian team after their greats retired and took them back to the No. 1 position. And the best part was that he never allowed these factors to affect his batting. In fact, his performances won him numerous national and int. awards between 2012 & 2014. I think after Ponting, Clarke has been their most prominent batsman.
Precambrian, when I look at him, I find so many positives - great batsman, an astute captain, gritty, someone who thrives in challenging situations - that its difficult to take my eyes away from him. He did a great job of rebuilding the Australian team after their greats retired and took them back to the No. 1 position. And the best part was that he never allowed these factors to affect his batting. In fact, his performances won him numerous national and int. awards between 2012 & 2014. I think after Ponting, Clarke has been their most prominent batsman.
I'd agree with this assessment... hopefully, the Aus tradition of producing excellent batsmen will continue with Smith and co.
I'd agree with this assessment... hopefully' date=' the Aus tradition of producing excellent batsmen will continue with Smith and co.[/quote'] Thanks Vijy! Right now Smith is perhaps the best batsman in the world. He got a few low scores in the Ashes, but has found his midas touch again. Have full faith in their bench strength, I am sure we will get to see some new faces in the near future.
Precambrian, when I look at him, I find so many positives - great batsman, an astute captain, gritty, someone who thrives in challenging situations - that its difficult to take my eyes away from him. He did a great job of rebuilding the Australian team after their greats retired and took them back to the No. 1 position. And the best part was that he never allowed these factors to affect his batting. In fact, his performances won him numerous national and int. awards between 2012 & 2014. I think after Ponting, Clarke has been their most prominent batsman.
4-0 in India, not to mention his away average.
Thanks Vijy! Right now Smith is perhaps the best batsman in the world. He got a few low scores in the Ashes' date=' but has found his midas touch again. [b']Have full faith in their bench strength, I am sure we will get to see some new faces in the near future.
Bowling - yes. Batting - so-so. Burns is not that impressive for me, and neither is Khawaja. Need to see what Bancroft does, since he's pretty young. Maddinson is exciting but too inconsistent. Lynn may become a very good player.
Bowling - yes. Batting - so-so. Burns is not that impressive for me' date=' and neither is Khawaja. Need to see what Bancroft does, since he's pretty young. Maddinson is exciting but too inconsistent. Lynn may become a very good player.[/quote'] Agree with you, batting is not so strong atm, but I am sure it will not take long to see someone really good enter into their playing eleven.
He is not in the list of Australia's top 5 batsmen but still a great player and captain. He averages around 42-43 away from home which is great.
More like very good. I rate Clarke pretty highly, but he's a trifle short of "great" for me... certainly not of the same calibre as Bradman, Greg Chappell, Ponting, Steve Waugh, Border.
He is not in the list of Australia's top 5 batsmen but still a great player and captain. He averages around 42-43 away from home which is great.
Hipposucks, great to hear from you. Completely agree with you. I think Aus has produced so many greats that its not easy for anyone to break into the top 5. Clarke finished his career with a Test ave of 49.10 which is awesome and tells a great deal about his batting prowess. If it was not for the lean patch that he went through in the last one year, he would have finished much higher (probably not, because in that case he wouldn't have retired).
He'd follow almost immediately afterwards (ahead of Haydos for me)' date=' on par with Harvey and Walters.[/quote'] I would rate all of them at par. Hayden was a prolific run scorer, a fearless bloke, a nemesis for most of the bowlers he faced; retired with an ave of 50 plus, couldn't have asked more from him.
I would rate all of them at par. Hayden was a prolific run scorer' date=' a fearless bloke, a nemesis for most of the bowlers he faced; retired with an ave of 50 plus, couldn't have asked more from him.[/quote'] Did all that, but some of Clarke's innings were genuinely heroic in a way that few batsmen's were... I'm thinking mostly of his knocks against a pretty potent SA attack. I'm certainly not downplaying Haydos of course... bloke would make the Aus All-time Test XI.