David Johnson

kosingh

How fast was he? I was watching the video below, and he seems impressively fast. Also seems to have a nice action. Somewhat similar to Shoaib Akhtar's action. I wonder if he would have been given more opportunities today. Back then the mantra with Indian coaches was -- if you bowl fast but erratically, cut down your pace until you can get more control. Now the thinking seems to be slowly changing to -- if you bowl fast, keep your pace, and we're going to be patient and work with you so that you can get more control at that fast pace. n6scfdQynUc&feature=youtu.be

How fast was he? I was watching the video below, and he seems impressively fast. Also seems to have a nice action. Somewhat similar to Shoaib Akhtar's action. I wonder if he would have been given more opportunities today. Back then the mantra with Indian coaches was -- if you bowl fast but erratically, cut down your pace until you can get more control. Now the thinking seems to be slowly changing to -- if you bowl fast, keep your pace, and we're going to be patient and work with you so that you can get more control at that fast pace.
Did you get confused by Robelinda's title for that video?.. "Fastest Indian bowler ever " .. LOL

To me, he looks military medium in that video. Notice how Ponting takes two step forward while playing his shot? Can someone do that to a bowler who is bowling even at a pace of 140? Like RKT said, he would run faster than he would bowl. That was the joke when he had emerged on the scene.

The fact is we played Venkatesh Prasad looked a total class apart bowling alongside Ganesh and Johnson should say something...though to be fair to Venky,he was brilliant in the 96 overseas season when we went to England and South Africa. But yes there was definite hype around him when he came up...I remember this test match,I was so excited to watch him bowl lol and what a disappointment.

Yes was wanting to mention him as Zaidi has fantastic figures and international players who faced him mention his pace n R befuddled why he did not play for India, quota system did him in, he had pace n skills n dominated Ranji for quite a few years,I also remember former Indian player talking highly about him

Heard Ashish Winston Zaidi was very fast too' date=' but never saw his bowl.[/quote'] He was the best bowler India had in 90s.But since he was from UP with no lobbying he didnt get to play. In 1988-89 he toured to Pakistan with India A.The Pak team had Waqar/Inzy etc.According to the batters who faced him including Pakistani ones,he was as quick if not quicker than Waqar.

I really don't buy the Ashish Zaidi hype......David Johnson,Kuruvilla,Ankola all were hyped up and made to seem like they were express...Kuruvilla obviously got a shot after he was past his prime so I will give him the benefit of doubt. Ankola was injury prone despite doing jack ****...and Johnson is probably one of the biggest duds I saw live....I beleive Ganesh was hyped up to be pretty fast as well and fast he was as he was faster than Johnson in the S.A series so that is probably his best accomplishment :hysterical: With all the hype we often didn't give the likes of Srinath his due till he was done as he was the fastest among them all,consistent and truly world class. If you look at consistently fast Agarkar was probably one of the fastest...hell the guy was bowling in 140's till the end of his career :hatsoff:

He was the the Ashok Dinda of the 90s.. there's probably been spells in his life when he's bowled around 140 kph, but if you took his average, its probably much closer 130-135. But he was largely sh!t. We were so pathetic then, we just picked anyone who even 'looked' quick.

He was the the Ashok Dinda of the 90s.. there's probably been spells in his life when he's bowled around 140 kph, but if you took his average, its probably much closer 130-135. But he was largely sh!t. We were so pathetic then, we just picked anyone who even 'looked' quick.
Well, sadly, our fast bowling gang may now be even worse. At least we had Srinath, Prasad, Agarkar then! Prasasd and Agarkar received a lot of abuse from fans back then, but many of us would love to have them in the current team.