Shift in perception towards Indian pace bowlers?

During today's commentary and the show, I noticed a few things which signal a shift towards perception towards Indian pace bowlers. 1)The Sri Lankan commentator asking Gavaskar, " How did India manage to unearth so many genuine fast bowlers?" To which Gavaskar's reply was- " We always had them, if not express, then atleast 135-140k bowlers like Ramakant Desai". Do note that earlier, even Indian commentators used to call Indian pacers as medium pacers and used to question as to why Indians don't have genuine quicks. 2) Jayasuriya stating that Javagal Srinath was the toughest Indian bowler he faced. He did not specifically mention about his pace, but somehow it also means that Srinath did have more than sufficient pace to trouble him. 3) Manjrekar commenting that Roger Binny was quicker than Stuart. Which effectively means Roger binny was around 135 mark. I always thought he was more like 115- 125 bowler. 4) When the speedguns were pointing Umesh's deliveries to be around 138-139 k's, Jonty Rhodes commented that ' even though the speed guns read slower speeds, Umesh's deliveries are coming really fast and hitting the bat hard. I think it's a shift of perception towards Indian pacers. Earlier, we had bowlers like Salil Ankola, Atul Wassan, Prashant Vaidya . Atleast these 3 bowlers were genuinely fast, even if we do not take into account a few bowlers who may have been. But because of Indian cricket board's attitude, and also a perception that Indians can't bowl fast, they were never referred to as ' Fast '. That also includes Javagal Srinath. So this new trend is a breath of fresh air!

Roger Binny as your typical 120K bowler. They used to joke that Richards had so much time reacting to these guys (Binny and Madanlal types) that after a delivery was bowled Richards could walk off the ground, go to his house near the Bridgetown stadium, finish his lunch, get back to the crease and smash the delivery for a six.

Let's hope Umesh Yadav and Aaron don't go the way of Ankola and Atul Wassan Not sure what the point of being fast if u can't bowl consistent lines Both Lankan seamers considerably outbowled Umesh today Bhuvi regardless of this fast nonsense would have made a world of difference today
with bat AND ball.

Manjrekar saying before the SL innings that Indian pacers should get more purchase from the pitch as they are quicker. We have started producing fast bowlers and it is just a matter of time before we start producing high quality wicket taking quicks . It is about having a fast bowling culture....and we have started the process of having one.

Manjrekar saying before the SL innings that Indian pacers should get more purchase from the pitch as they are quicker. We have started producing fast bowlers and it is just a matter of time before we start producing high quality wicket taking quicks . It is about having a fast bowling culture....and we have started the process of having one.
Your optimism is to be commended :hatsoff: I on the other hand am worried about how likes of Aaron, Yadav and co will develop and how their workloads, etc will be managed.
Your optimism is to be commended :hatsoff: I on the other hand am worried about how likes of Aaron, Yadav and co will develop and how their workloads, etc will be managed.
If you are thinking that this Indian team is comparable to the early 2000 team of Ganguly and later, the team of Dhoni, then you are mistaken. I find this team, at best, a mediocre team. So I am not expecting this team to be world beaters. That isn't going to happen anymore. All I was talking about was pace.
If you are thinking that this Indian team is comparable to the early 2000 team of Ganguly and later, the team of Dhoni, then you are mistaken. I find this team, at best, a mediocre team. So I am not expecting this team to be world beaters. That isn't going to happen anymore. All I was talking about was pace.
Tbh, even that team was no better. We always had good batsmen not doing enough overseas. I am fairly optimistic that if this team values test cricket well, they can become a good side in the next 2 years. Not many retirements are expected as well, so this team should settle enough.
Tbh, even that team was no better. We always had good batsmen not doing enough overseas. I am fairly optimistic that if this team values test cricket well, they can become a good side in the next 2 years. Not many retirements are expected as well, so this team should settle enough.
It would be a sad day for ICFers if Nohit calls it a day in tests... the fav topic for bashing would be gone :giggle:

What is really irritating is even if a fast bowler sucks in test cricket they still tend to be very good in ODI cricket .Someone like Tait is an example because sheer pace isn't easy go after for scoring rate But both Yadav and Aaron are struggling or established in ODI cricket as well.

What is really irritating is even if a fast bowler sucks in test cricket they still tend to be very good in ODI cricket .Someone like Tait is an example because sheer pace isn't easy go after for scoring rate But both Yadav and Aaron are struggling or established in ODI cricket as well.
Yes, Tait was a classic example. Brett Lee was also more potent in ODIs. Ditto Bond as well, who didn't get enough Tests however to pass full judgement.

What our pacers need is not more speed (though that would be great) but more brains to work on their game, know what to bowl where, etc. Give Umesh Yadav's skills to someone like Zaheer (post 2007 version) and he would be wreaking havoc. But look at Umesh now. Happy with the odd wicket even on a pacer friendly track. Aaron is even worse. Lesser skills and same brainlessness. We should stop over-rating these fellows bcos of 1 game and wait till they start working on their game. On a flatter track, these guys struggle to pick 1 wicket which is why we get owned outside Asia when the wicket eases out.