Kurosawa and Japanese movies

Vijy

Below is my post from another thread: Ran is interesting as well esp. in its portrayal of war scenes. In Hollywood, you would find fancy music being played when people are getting killed and violence is glorified. In Ran, Kurosawa plays a sad theme in many of the scenes so the viewers actually feel the seriousness of war and the killings PS Below is a collection of some of the scenes 5-QaJsNGl3g

super thread Vijy... will add all my favourite movies soon... looking forward to finding here movies that i haven't yet watched :two_thumbs_up:
I watched a very early Kurosawa recently... just after WW-II. Had a very famous Jap actress (Setsuko Hara). It's a contemporary work and very diff from his later masterpieces. It was interesting to watch, but it was definitely quite amateurish and uneven on the whole.

Below is my post from another thread: Ran is interesting as well esp. in its portrayal of war scenes. In Hollywood, you would find fancy music being played when people are getting killed and violence is glorified. In Ran, Kurosawa plays a sad theme in many of the scenes so the viewers actually feel the seriousness of war and the killings PS Below is a collection of some of the scenes 5-QaJsNGl3g
It's true that Ran utilizes sound much more effectively than most war movies around. Same also goes for its use of visuals such as landscapes, etc. Reading Shakespeare's Lear, there's a fair amount of nature and natural elements. Such factors play an equally important role in Ran.

I watched a very early Kurosawa recently... just after WW-II. Had a very famous Jap actress (Setsuko Hara). It's a contemporary work and very diff from his later masterpieces. It was interesting to watch' date=' but it was definitely quite amateurish and uneven on the whole.[/quote'] is the movie about the birth of judo - sure did test my patience :cantstop: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanshiro_Sugata will watch it again some time later.

And of course, one must ask: Nakadai, Shimura or Mifune in Kurosawa movies? Who do you favour the most and why? It goes without saying that these are different actors, suited for different roles and films; nevertheless, if you want to weigh in with your favs, please do so.

Zatoichi series, Lone Wolf and cub series is a good starting point for samurai movies Zatoichi is more classical... LW&C is a mass-samurai series Zatoichi is about a blind samurai warrior and his adventures as he goes from place to place LW&C is about a rogue samurai warrior on the road with his kid in a baby cart taking missions. his previous masters, keep trying to kill him off. lots of fights. less classier than Zatoichi, but more mass. incidentally the lead actors of both the series are brothers

if anyone of you is interested in reading samurai manga, may i suggest " Path of the assassin " which is simply awesome. it is about ninja warrior Hattori Hanzo and his adventures with his master Ieyasu (the first Shogun). awesome series which is available in the torrents. if you can afford it, buy the hard copy..

Zatoichi series, Lone Wolf and cub series is a good starting point for samurai movies Zatoichi is more classical... LW&C is a mass-samurai series Zatoichi is about a blind samurai warrior and his adventures as he goes from place to place LW&C is about a rogue samurai warrior on the road with his kid in a baby cart taking missions. his previous masters, keep trying to kill him off. lots of fights. less classier than Zatoichi, but more mass. incidentally the lead actors of both the series are brothers
Zatoichi is pretty good... very consistent for a long running series. LW&C, for me, has been a bit more inconsistent although there are several installments that I really like.

if anyone of you is interested in reading samurai manga' date=' may i suggest " Path of the assassin " which is simply awesome. it is about ninja warrior Hattori Hanzo and his adventures with his master Ieyasu (the first Shogun). awesome series which is available in the torrents. if you can afford it, buy the hard copy..[/quote'] I have heard much about it... and still haven't gotten round to reading it.

If we havent read Manga' date=' what is a good first Manga to start with?[/quote'] I haven't read all that much either... I go in more for anime (quicker and lazier way in a sense). Regardless of manga/anime, you should let us know what genre you'd like, etc.

If we havent read Manga' date=' what is a good first Manga to start with?[/quote'] start with one piece, naruto, bleach - if you feel you are all too grown up for this then... full metal alchemist and death note will be good... but beware there will lots of violence and the villains are really psychotic. if you feel even this is not up to your level... Hellsing and Berserk - they are really gory with the action part atleast. --- Attack on the titan first season is a blockbuster anime which doesn't have too much gore.. only 25 episodes - 20 minutes each, if anyone wants to check it out during a weekend, this is decent stuff. i heard the live action movie is not that good.

if anyone knows a nice anime series other than death note' date=' naruto, bleach, one piece, full metal, berserk, hellsing .... please share it...[/quote'] Most of the ones you named are classics... if you liked Death Note, you may want to check out Code Geass (personally, I don't dig it all that much, but fans of DN like it).

start with one piece, naruto, bleach - if you feel you are all too grown up for this then... full metal alchemist and death note will be good... but beware there will lots of violence and the villains are really psychotic. if you feel even this is not up to your level... Hellsing and Berserk - they are really gory with the action part atleast. --- Attack on the titan first season is a blockbuster anime which doesn't have too much gore.. only 25 episodes - 20 minutes each, if anyone wants to check it out during a weekend, this is decent stuff. i heard the live action movie is not that good.
Attack on Titan is somewhat overrated for me; but that's because everyone was hyping it up to the skies.

Ah.. Kurosawa.. My second most favorite director after the one in my avatar. I have 6 films left in his oeuvre (The Idiot, The Quiet Duel, Dodesukaden,Dreams, Rhapsody in August, Madadayo). Planning to watch all in this month. Then I'll post brief view of each of his films. Till then enjoy these two great videos about him (The YT channel "Every Frame a Paint is really awesome. Please do check out his other videos). doaQC-S8de8 jGc-K7giqKM