Million dollar question, where should Sachin bat in WC?

kabira

Before Last WC, Sachin was batting in middle order and during WC preparation, he was asked by Wright where he feels comfortable to bat..He replied "opening". Will it happen again?..Somehow I feel he likes to open. and if asked again, he would choose to open. he is no longer slam banger, that should be left to likes of Utthapa, Sehwag etc...and rules have change, we have 20 overs of field restriction, even if he comes 1 down or 2 down he will still be coming during field restriction..He is very good in milking the bowling, as shown by him in Windies series. So where do you guys think he should bat in WC? My vote is "1 down".

Re: Million dollar question, where should Sachin bat in WC? why? In last few ODIs that he has opened, havnt seen him really go or even try to attack bowlers, like Uthappa, Gambhir or even Sehwag will do. Opening should be left to young guy whose only role is to "go for it son"...if he fails, the likes of Ganguly, Sachin and Dravid (nearly 36K runs) to take over.

Re: Million dollar question, where should Sachin bat in WC? >The greatest opener in odi history should open. no doubt he is the greatest opener in ODI...and he will still be more than handful..But for sake of team we need him in middle order, he can provide calming influence to guys like Yuvi, Karthik and Dhoni or may be even Sehwag... I feel one down is best for him....he will still be batting during powerplays..

Re: Million dollar question, where should Sachin bat in WC? Kabira, good question. What has happenned to Indian batsmen recently is that they determine the nature of the wicket a lot based on how Openers perform. When Sehwag or Tendulkar lose their wickets at the top often times the rest collapse without a fight. Moreover in SA and WI it was evident that we were short of the fire power needed to take the innings to the slog overs. The middle order batsmen were a huge failure in SA and just imagine India calling VVS Laxman(who is not an ODI player) in dire straits to strengthen the middle order along with Karthick (who is considered a backup Wicket keeper). Taking this into account I think it is an ideal move to have Sachin bat along with Dravid at the middle and since Yuvaraj not at his 100 percent India defenitely needs stability in this area. Sehwag or no Sehwag doesnt add the much needed stability. He can be used as an opener or middle order based on the situation but Tendulkar brings in a lot of confidence for both openers and batsmen to follow him. So my choice is to have Tendulkar bat at 4 down or 5 down.

Re: Million dollar question, where should Sachin bat in WC?

Dravid is not ideal to bat during powerplays' date=' one down should be Sachin[/quote'] Its debatable! If we lose quick wicket then an pinch hitter like Pathan or Dhoni can make use of the power play. Dravid is more of some one who can hold the innings together and if Tendulkar can share the burder it will be wonderful. Losing Tendulkar quickly as 1 down again adds to the worry therefore my pick is Mr. Dependable at 1 down and Tendulkar following him

Re: Million dollar question, where should Sachin bat in WC? losing Tendulkar anywhere is always huge blow..coming at 1 down gives him enough time to build an innings..and score big.. with 20 overs of powerplay, he still has field restriction to take advantage of..

Re: Million dollar question, where should Sachin bat in WC? ^ you can say the same if he's at 4. I.e more than enough time to build an innings and score big. Plus the second greatest ODI opener of all time :) should defo open IMHO. With Uthappa. Dravid at 5 -him and SRT are so adept at placing the ball (Gangs isnt a great runner) that they will accumulate briskly which is what we need in the middle overs. Not to mention the two ideal candidates to rescue a collapse. Yuvraj singh at no 3. He can play pace well and if he settles in is a great timer of the ball- can really take advantage of field restrictions Problem is if we lose an early wkt and the ball is moving, he will have to watch out. Sehwag at 6, MSD at 7. Well, what more do we need for a spot of slog over acceleration. Zak, Munaf, Aggy, Bhajji. WC07 here we cometh.

losing Tendulkar anywhere is always huge blow..coming at 1 down gives him enough time to build an innings..and score big.. with 20 overs of powerplay, he still has field restriction to take advantage of..
I am a huge fan of Tendulkar but it is the larger interest of the team and its success that counts whether Tendulkar hits a century or not.

The greatest opener in the history of ODI cricket should bat at #1' date=' alongside the 2nd greatest opener in the history of ODI cricket.[/quote']x2, but he shouldn't bat lower than #3 if not opening, followed by Yuvi, RD, Veeru, Dhoni.