Time for dhoni to retire?

FischerTal

Not denying that Dhoni is not what he used to be.  And he's definitely not what fans want him to be -the thumper he used to be in the early part of his career.  But in ODI cricket, you don't necessarily need to score at 140 SR to be an asset at #5 - different story in T20, but definitely not in ODI.  He still adds value to the team as a player especially at the pressure-absorbing #6.  Its not like he tuk-tuked a 30-ball 20 here, he was one shot away from winning the game!    

Regarding Captaincy, thats a different discussion - and I'm not sure on that one.  

Agreed. This match is a perfect example why closing out games is not a piece of cake as everyone think. They are just disappointed that we used to win it all these years because of excellent pressure handling & big hitting qualities from players like MSD n Yuvi and now our lower order is not good enough to handle such pressure. Dhoni is anyhow gonna retire in couple of years, but more important question is why is Kohli or Raina or #7 (Binny,Jadeja,Axar) not good enough to close out games. 

Pakistani cricket board in usa, thinks'' ,kohli do not want dhoni in the team, in  any format. which Reflects his Attitude towards his batting yet Kohli and Sachin are kind of players, who can make lots of runs,if they wants vs any side''

I  think about the time koz Samson is doing wonderful with the bat,we need some change before WC 2016.

Dhoni is someone that doesn't overstay. Where is his replacement though? The names as replacement in this thread just doesn't inspire. 

Dhoni recently said he needs to play his shots no matter what but didn't try that... I think he's now understood what is pressure captaining Indian after all these years and also lead from front with the bat :pensive:

Dhoni is someone that doesn't overstay. Where is his replacement though? The names as replacement in this thread just doesn't inspire. 

Dhoni recently said he needs to play his shots no matter what but didn't try that... I think he's now understood what is pressure captaining Indian after all these years and also lead from front with the bat :pensive:

Lol he is known to overstay he cringed on to test captaincy even after string of defeats which any other captain having some self respect would have stepped down.Unless you give somebody a chance how will ever there be an alternative.We hardly miss dhoni in tests and i am sure same in t20s.Odis he will be missed but his time is up

Edited by CG

Lol he is known to overstay he cringed on to test captaincy even after string of defeats which any other captain having some self respect would have stepped down.Unless you give somebody a chance how will ever there be an alternative.We hardly miss dhoni in tests and i am sure same in t20s.Odis he will be missed but his time is up

I love the "where is the replacement" argument that Dhoni fans keep bringing here. Dhoni should have been sacked as the test captain in 2012 after the 0-4 drubbing in Australia. ALL countries would have done that. We would not have been worse off with a different captain. Now Dhoni's role in the side is unclear. I certainly don't see him playing the next world cup, surely you would give the new captain some time to build the team. Dhoni's time is up. It's time the selectors showed him the door. I am fine with letting him continue as a player for some time based on his performance but he should not captain India in any format now. 

Edited by zep1706

Samson wont do worse than him at least in T20s, the format he is least valuable.

Dhoni is better odi batsman than Saha and Naman ojha even today and hence his place in the team I definitely not in doubt.

his captaincy skills are definitely going down- ashwin should have continued to bowl , instead he was stopped after 1 over..shocking to say the least, as another wicket after decock wud have put Africa really in a big spot of bother...instead the new batsman got to face the dangerous Binny and a bit tired bhuvi...any new batsman getting to face binny is like a boon as he can easily play himself in.

0-8 and that ruthless decapitation of Indian at the hands of Poms couldn't get this guy to retire from a format he anyways never really liked in the 1st place, you really think yesterday's events can ever change his mind about his favorite format? He is shameless to the core.

What is with some of you guys about picking on "Fans"? This is Indian cricket fans and what's wrong with being fans of Indian cricketers? 

It almost sounds like on our website there are just camps not fans. Sure you don't like a player for whatever reason but just as much right you have to dislike a player so do others on this forum to like a player. It almost sounds like liking a player is a crime...:deadhorse: 

Look at all these knee jerk reactions

Dhoni shouldn't retire, he's still averaging highly at a run-a-ball.

He doesn't have the same ability to go on and dominate the opposition though, agreed. My suggestion - remove Rahane and put Dhoni in 4. He can play a nice solid run-a-ball knock and we can get some powerhitters lower down

Edited by sage