Zaheer Khan to Retire

sscomp32

One of the best bowlers in the world whenever he was fit. Can bowl with both new and old ball...& swing and seam both ways. I remember in the WC'11 everytime we needed a wicket to break a long partnership...Zak pick it for us.

Sadly injuries kept him out of the game and deprived India of Zak services in quite a lot of important away tours. Who will be our next consistent bowler now. 

Best of luck Zak. Hopefully to see you in coaching gear soon 

Had an excellent prime from 2006-10 ,a world class bowler in those 5 years .I think he took 200 wkts in 50 tests @29 in his prime,a regular top 6 bowler (in ranking) and played a pivotal role in India's away test wins in England,saf,nzl.

In odis he was a master in death bowling and breaking partnerships,a big match player and world class performer in world cups!!

His only problem was fitness and stamina,its a shame he has to go like this but it's only his fault.should've retired after the nzl tour

A low key retirement which is a pleasant surprise in this day and age of fanfare and histrionics. Zaheer was arguably among the top 5 Indian fast bowlers of all time and definitely the greatest Indian left arm quick. My best regards and compliments to this great servant of Indian cricket and good luck to him in the future. His performance in our great 2011 WC victory was perhaps a great feather in his cap.

I hope he gets into coaching our quicks someday because his mastery of swing and seem were unmatched!

Interesting article by Srinath on Zaheer. Didn't know that Zaheer made his debut because of Srinath's recommendation.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/story/929047.html

When I saw Zaheer Khan in 2000, I thought he was the best bowler around, in terms of hunger, in terms of wanting to do well. We played a match - he played for MRF - in one of the local tournaments in Bangalore, and I found him the best bowler. He looked better than me at that point of time, I would say.

So, when it was very clear that I could not go to the Champions Trophy [ICC knockout], which was held in Kenya, I spoke to Chandu Borde [chairman of selectors] to pick him up straight away because he was that good. So that's how Zaheer Khan came into the system.

It was nice to see a good left-arm seamer bowl at 140 [kph]. He was rapid, which was good for international cricket. He had a good line, and more than anything else he had the ability to bring the ball back in. That's what I saw in him.

Edited by Mosher

He is an underachiever though, as good as Anderson but behind him statistically. Better fitness would have made him take 400+ wickets at a better average too. Zak of 2007-11 was the 2nd best pacer in the world behind Steyn. Also because of him so many lefties had sleepless nights. :cantstop:

He is an underachiever though, as good as Anderson but behind him statistically. Better fitness would have made him take 400+ wickets at a better average too. Zak of 2007-11 was the 2nd best pacer in the world behind Steyn. Also because of him so many lefties had sleepless nights. :cantstop:

Don't be too quick with that comparison - Zak didn't get to bowl as much in Eng/Oz as Anderson did.  And arguably Anderson almost always had better bowling support around him than Zak did.  

As a bowler, I really enjoyed watching him bowl especially after his comeback in 2006. Still remember his start of the carrier when he got Steve Waugh out at a crucial time to win the game for India in the ICC Knockout game. By 2006 he was a different bowler who had learned a lot after playing in county. He almost got a 10fer in an innings in county if it wasn't for a drop catch by the wicket keeper. As people pointed out, he played a top role in 2011 world cup. 

Thank to him for bowling his heart out numerous times in different parts of the world. I hope and I am sure he will be associated with Indian bowlers in the future.