All is forgiven if we win the test series

Gollum

SA are an extremely strong test side (even stronger than SA ODI side).

I think they are on their way down. Kallis and Smith, 2 heavyweights are no longer in their team, especially Kallis who is probably the greatest non Asian batsmen on SC tracks. Also look at their spinners: Raina/Nohit wipe the floor with them, forget Ashwin/Mishrajee. Even Steyn isn't as threatening as he was a few years back. If Ashwin is fit and we get proper turners I guess RSA will get the biggest ass whooping since their reintroduction in '92.

Honestly, we lost to a better ODI side. South Africa are right up there with New Zealand and Australia as the most competitive ODI side. World cup proved that. There bench strength is immense in ODI'S and that showed in their crucial game without Duminy and Morkel, they just went bezerk. 

However, test is a different thing. I expect Kohli to fire up this test side. It will be great to have Pujara back in the team. I am looking forward to seeing Rahane. He has been amazing in last 2 years. Also hoping Rohit shows his class in test now. It's about time. Our biggest worry is our opening order as they haven't scored runs or played enough quality bowling. We have had too many changes in the opening order.

Honestly, we lost to a better ODI side. South Africa are right up there with New Zealand and Australia as the most competitive ODI side. World cup proved that. There bench strength is immense in ODI'S and that showed in their crucial game without Duminy and Morkel, they just went bezerk. 

However, test is a different thing. I expect Kohli to fire up this test side. It will be great to have Pujara back in the team. I am looking forward to seeing Rahane. He has been amazing in last 2 years. Also hoping Rohit shows his class in test now. It's about time. Our biggest worry is our opening order as they haven't scored runs or played enough quality bowling. We have had too many changes in the opening order.

Even if we win the test series it won't be because of Kohli. A lot hinges on the Ashwin-Mishra duo. On the batting front Che, Vijay, Rahane will hold the key...all 3 are vastly superior to the over rated Kohli. Don't worry about the opening, both Shikhar and Vijay will fire....Rohit and Virat are the weak links.

After the disastrous t20 and ODI series, really looking forward to the test matches. Let's see what Kohli does with the team. Ashwin is feeling much better and will probably play the 1st match. Hope Pujara will be in the playing 11. Since Ishant is out of the 1st test, any chance of Umesh and Aaron playing in the same match?

After the disastrous t20 and ODI series, really looking forward to the test matches. Let's see what Kohli does with the team. Ashwin is feeling much better and will probably play the 1st match. Hope Pujara will be in the playing 11. Since Ishant is out of the 1st test, any chance of Umesh and Aaron playing in the same match?

Both Aaron and Umesh together could be real disaster if they have a bad day. One they start leaking runs, they leak runs like water. Other option is Booby and Stuart Binny.

Both Aaron and Umesh together could be real disaster if they have a bad day. One they start leaking runs, they leak runs like water. Other option is Booby and Stuart Binny.

Even if Umesh and Aaron have a bad day, we will still have 3 spinners to control the run flow. If bowl starts reversing then we will have two bowlers who can exploit the reverse swing. But I agree, pace attack will most likely be Umesh/Aaron and Booby.

Ashwin Mishra and Imran tahir are going to become really challenging bowlers on indian turning tracks.

among indian batsman.. Vijay pujara, rahane and virat are good but Rohit and shikhar will be the weak link.

india should not play Rohit and play 5 bowlers.. jaddu Mishra and ashwin with umesh and Varun.

on indian tracks jaddu and ashwin can bat.

steyn n morkel will be dangerous in the first spell with the new ball and then it will be phangiso and tahir..I don't expect phangiso to trouble us..Africa shud play rabada but the track will not support pace bowlers so I don't expect morkel and steyn to take fifers...its only TAHIR who will take 5 wickets.

where in india we have ashwin Mishra who cud take 5 wickets in a turning track. jaddu cud also take a few .. 

ashwin on a turning track is like playing with a snake- if u don't kill the snake , the snake will bite you.. on a turning track Africans cant kill( read defeat) Ashwin so they will be bitten for SURE.

Ashwin, Nathon Lyon , SRilankan left arm spinner and even the pak leg spinner are the most dangerous spinners and on spinning tracks they are 4 times dangerous.

Mishra Bhai is also at the top of his skill and he may come close to Ashwin.

but TAHIR is as dangerous as Ashwin and MISHRA so I see it as 1 danger VS 2 danger

So INDIA may win as we have 2 dangerous Spinners

due respect to steyn morkel but indian pujara and Vijay will show a lot of flat bat

Even if Umesh and Aaron have a bad day, we will still have 3 spinners to control the run flow. If bowl starts reversing then we will have two bowlers who can exploit the reverse swing. But I agree, pace attack will most likely be Umesh/Aaron and Booby.

on induian tracks steyn n morkel can have bad days.. its sure that Ishant umesh n varun will find it tough and will have bad days on indian tracks...

As long as Ashwin is fit and no more crazy ideas like dropping Pujara for Rohit.

If we have that, it should be fun.

Vijay
Dhawan/Rahul
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Saha
Ashwin
Mishra
Jaddu
Yadav/Aaron
Ishant/for first test - someone

Nay. Rohit will surely play. Good enough considering his form and how good he's been in SC.

I think they should go with 5 bowlers again with jaddu replacing binny. 

Its true that spinners can bowl longer without worrying about as much fatigue but bowling at an inform ad devilliers/amla all day can be demoralizing for spinners and may turn into being overly defensive. Where as bowling in a pack of 5 can allow them regroup and come back stronger.  

Edited by Silva