A fast bowler India might have had

zen

LINK

" ..... Though Salgaoncar was strongly tipped to catch the flight to England as India's tour got underway in May of 1974, he again, inexplicably, did not make the cut. In fact, Salgaoncar never played for India. His career seems to have carried on for almost a decade: ending with 214 first-class wickets from 63 matches at 26.70 isn't bad for a fast bowler on Indian pitches. Yet the numbers also show that the only time he ever took ten wickets in a match was that magical day at Chepauk.

I sometimes wonder what might have been had he been selected to play for India when he was clearly fast, brimming with promise, and unbent by disappointment. The cliché about timing being everything is true for life in general, but perhaps especially so for sportsmen. For all we know, that disastrous tour to England in the bitterly cold summer of 1974, when (among myriad humiliations) India were bowled out for 42 at Lord's, may have been leavened by Salgaoncar ripping a few snorters past the English batsmen, sending some of their stumps cartwheeling, and giving Farokh a chance to throw the ball high into the air after snaffling a snick. India may have found their first genuine quickie after Mohammad Nissar.

Of course, none of that came to be. And at least for one schoolboy that day at Chepauk, the real tragedy was not that Salgaoncar may have been found wanting at the highest level of the game. It is that neither we nor he will ever know how good he might have been."

Nice read .... appears as if things haven't changed much for fast bowlers 

Edited by rett

Mumbai sayed Hatiya was better bowler than pandurang salgoncar,I do not think Later was selects in test because in the 80's trends in india was different than now,strike bowler sends 12 balls and spinners take over for whole day.salgoncar was often wayward and has no control of his bowling.Tripura ,Asam and orrisa were minor team in the  80's anyone can perform good vs them.

karsan Ghavri , was great indian allrounder before kapildev start his test career, good , handy with bat and took 125 test wickets in his limited opportunity just like arvind srinath his ability to spin the ball, besides his military fast medium bowling ,he often selects in indian test team.

Edited by Wasim9211

cricketics,

I get so used to send post, because other forum offer 50 /100 rupees per post which I just left koz they lost business and no longer available for

wasim type 'Rakhdu'.yes, why not, I will koz ,indian cricket fans not offer good or fake money either.

99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999

Amre missing something for test matches after his debut century in southafrica so he become coach.Azher Mahmood

scored 2 century in his first 2 test in Pakistan vs southafrica plus through his test career he took 3 wkts per his test innings but he was dropped koz of dirty politics.it just happen,vinod kambli start his career with big bang 3 century including 2 DBL in his first 5 test, not able to continues with others, as well.

newzelanders R.Redmonds hits debut 163 in test never plays for his country because next test series was  4 mos later and john parker was originally test opener with GlenTurner [ married with indian women ] but he was injured and Redmond was selects in his place.

someother time about English captain start learing Gujrati Language[ who married Gujrati women later on]

Edited by Wasim9211
Ashish Winston Zaidi ,he should have been selected,sad part is he was never considered,inspite of shortage of fast bowler

In 1988-89 he toured with India A side to Pakistan.The Pakistan A team had Waqar Younis Inzy etc etc.They were unanimous that Zaidi was as quick as Waqar.Waqar ofcourse made his debut after some months and was express.

I doubt Ashish was as fast as Waqar. But he would have been quick. So was Salil Ankola who was also on the Pakistan tour. 

In 2000 ICC knock out UV scored 84 runs againist Aus.He was asked how did he manage to face Brett Lee.UV said i have faced the likes of Zaidi and hence didnt find much difference in speed.This was 2000 when Zaidi was 32 i believe and Lee at his peak.

Salik Ankola was never fast.

In 2000 ICC knock out UV scored 84 runs againist Aus.He was asked how did he manage to face Brett Lee.UV said i have faced the likes of Zaidi and hence didnt find much difference in speed.This was 2000 when Zaidi was 32 i believe and Lee at his peak.

Salik Ankola was never fast.

Lee wasnt at his peak in 2000. He had just debuted a few months back.