A fast bowler India might have had

zen

In 2000 ICC knock out UV scored 84 runs againist Aus.He was asked how did he manage to face Brett Lee.UV said i have faced the likes of Zaidi and hence didnt find much difference in speed.This was 2000 when Zaidi was 32 i believe and Lee at his peak.

Salik Ankola was never fast.

There were lots of reports that Zaidi was  quick in the air. He was more of a skiddy fast bowler...not bouncy like Srinath.

Regarding Ankola...he was genuinely fast before he played for India. Had a very long run up. Had constant problems with his foot. Then his action was modified and run up shortened a lot and he became a bouncy fast-medium bowler when he actually played for India.

I liked this conversation of ranji trophy performances plus for indian bowler.i do not think any other forum talks much other than test cricket

and even indian seam bowler

but I think india is the only country in the cricketing world run by BCCI, they select the player which 10 out of 6 or 7 time you just  think, he is lucky to get selected,.Zaidi, parvez Rasool [ bedi prefer him same as kapil dev to Hooda ] should play for india long time ago.my Australian friend belived klinger should play for our nation but he missed dispite his 41.89 average with bat but he is 35 so voges make it .[ 36 year old ]

selectors rules cricket on this days.we will see how far nathu singh will go in his career unless he changed his state from rajasthan to Karnataka or Mumbai.Chetan chauhan and Rohit sharma changed state in order to become test cricketer for india.

I liked this conversation of ranji trophy performances plus for indian bowler.i do not think any other forum talks much other than test cricket

and even indian seam bowler

but I think india is the only country in the cricketing world run by BCCI, they select the player which 10 out of 6 or 7 time you just  think, he is lucky to get selected,.Zaidi, parvez Rasool [ bedi prefer him same as kapil dev to Hooda ] should play for india long time ago.my Australian friend belived klinger should play for our nation but he missed dispite his 41.89 average with bat but he is 35 so voges make it .[ 36 year old ]

selectors rules cricket on this days.we will see how far nathu singh will go in his career unless he changed his state from rajasthan to Karnataka or Mumbai.Chetan chauhan and Rohit sharma changed state in order to become test cricketer for india.

Welcome to this forum. 

Express Bowling, Did you ever read about Prashant Vaidya? If you go through the article I posted in this discussion, there were ppl who believed Prashant was faster than Srinath. 

There was a rumour in the early 90s that Prashant Vaidya was quicker than Srinath. Then he played 4 ODIs for India. During those matches he was very medium pace. The wicket keeper stood up to the stumps at times. 

It is possible that he had lost some pace at that time due to injury but I don't think he was a genuine fast bowler ever. He was a tall strong guy who tried to hit the deck hard in his early days. The rumours might have stemmed from that in the absence of speed guns.

At the time lee debut even 145ks seemed real quick as batsman had not faced such pace for some time.Both akhtar and lee initially were 145-150ks and both peaked at same time 2003 wc.

During the 2003 world cup, every pacer was hitting high speeds and bowling 3 k to 5 k quicker than normal. Even Ashish Nehra, who was a 135 k to 143 k pacer at his peak, bowled a 145 k to 149.9 k spell with atleast 5 deliveries above 147 k.

I would take those 160 k deliveries in 2003 WC by Lee and Akhtar with a pinch of salt.

During the 2003 world cup, every pacer was hitting high speeds and bowling 3 k to 5 k quicker than normal. Even Ashish Nehra, who was a 135 k to 143 k pacer at his peak, bowled a 145 k to 149.9 k spell with atleast 5 deliveries above 147 k.

I would take those 160 k deliveries in 2003 WC by Lee and Akhtar with a pinch of salt.

Altitude played a part. But I cannot such disdain the speed clocked. They were official timings. Nehra and co did try to bowl quick as ganguly said during world cup u get more Lee way on line and length if u are bowling quick

I am going to correct you here. Even after Srinath was officially clocked at 149.6kph in WC99, and was the official 2nd fastest bowler of the world after Shoaib, he was still considered medium pacer by the world. Srinath has never been considered genuine pace by world cricket, like they sing praises of Imran's and Wasim's pace ( Imran at best was Ajit Agarkar's pace of 139-140, not faster than that. Wasim at his fastest was no more than 145). They also consider Courtney Walsh as genuine pace, who at his fastest used to bowl at 130-133kph. 

Please also go through the tags that these pacers used to have. Srinath always used to have the tag of ' Right Arm Fast Medium' whereas a medium pacer like Glen Mcgrath used to have a tag of ' Right Arm Fast'.

What I am trying to get at is, the world has been biased towards Indian pacers. They have always underplayed indian fast bowlers and there is a general concensus that Indians can never be fast. There was no way that Salil Ankola, Atul Wassan and the ilk would be spoken of by world media as being genuine quick, even if they were. Thats because World media and commentators never wanted to give credit to Indian pacers and wanted to maintain that Indians can only be medium pacers.

True. What can world media do when our home experts themselves miss no oppurtunity to downplay our fast bowlers.

Altitude played a part. But I cannot such disdain the speed clocked. They were official timings. Nehra and co did try to bowl quick as ganguly said during world cup u get more Lee way on line and length if u are bowling quick

Every pacer from every country in that world cup bowled much quicker than normal. That is not common at all.

I During the 2003 world cup, every pacer was hitting high speeds and bowling 3 k to 5 k quicker than normal. Even Ashish Nehra, who was a 135 k to 143 k pacer at his peak, bowled a 145 k to 149.9 k spell with atleast 5 deliveries above 147 k.

I remember Andy Flower's comment very clearly after the India Zimbabwe match ( Nehra hit 149.7 against Andy in that match) , he clearly said that Indian bowlers had become  seriously fast and it was tough standing up against their pace. Not just Andy, the whole world media was talking about the pace at which Indian bowlers were bowling and I read several articles ( and one specifically by the English team ) in which they said that although Pakistanis and Australians were hitting higher speeds than Indians, but Indian bowlers were bowling fast and were bowling heavy balls which used to hit the bat hardest, hence they were most difficult to face, pace wise . I am not making this up at all. So I do believe that the pace was correct. Also, if the bowling speeds were slightly messed up, Waqar should have clocked slightly higher, so shold Wasim. But they were not bowling anything above 137-138.

True. What can world media do when our home experts themselves miss no oppurtunity to downplay our fast bowlers.

Srinath was the fastest bowler in the world in the mid-90s. In the 1996 tour of South Africa he was much quicker than Donald and bowled a fastest of 156 k. He was very quick in the 1996 tour of England too. Srinath seriously injured atleast 2 international batsmen...Lanka Silva and Meryck Pringle...hit them on the face although they were wearing helmets with visors.

He was the 2nd fastest bowler in the 1999 world cup after Shoaib.   

Srinath's reputation suffered because there were no regularly used speed guns during his peak years and he came from a country which did not produce an established  fast bowler in the last 50 years before Srinath.

Edited by express bowling

I During the 2003 world cup, every pacer was hitting high speeds and bowling 3 k to 5 k quicker than normal. Even Ashish Nehra, who was a 135 k to 143 k pacer at his peak, bowled a 145 k to 149.9 k spell with atleast 5 deliveries above 147 k.

I remember Andy Flower's comment very clearly after the India Zimbabwe match ( Nehra hit 149.7 against Andy in that match) , he clearly said that Indian bowlers had become  seriously fast and it was tough standing up against their pace. Not just Andy, the whole world media was talking about the pace at which Indian bowlers were bowling and I read several articles ( and one specifically by the English team ) in which they said that although Pakistanis and Australians were hitting higher speeds than Indians, but Indian bowlers were bowling fast and were bowling heavy balls which used to hit the bat hardest, hence they were most difficult to face, pace wise . I am not making this up at all. So I do believe that the pace was correct. Also, if the bowling speeds were slightly messed up, Waqar should have clocked slightly higher, so shold Wasim. But they were not bowling anything above 137-138.

Indian pacers, especially Zaheer and Nehra, were bowling quick in that world cup...I don't doubt that at all. But even 137 k to 146 k is serious pace.

Shoaib and Lee, whose fastest speeds were around  156 k at their absolute peak,  bowled 160 k. 

Waqar and especially Wasim had slowed down a lot in 2003 . But Waqar touched 143 k in 2003 WC which he could not do in other series in 2003.

Edited by express bowling

I don't think that's the case. Zaheer and Srinath were at normal pace. Lot of there were at their normal pace. Also, it wasn't the only time, lee a d Akhtar hit 160kph. Lee hit 160 kph in new Zealand as well. Video is available on YouTube too. Akhtar was hitting 157-158kh in a test match on our tour to Pak in 2006.

Indian pacers who have bowled fast after 1984 according  to my impression ( may or may not be fully correct as speed guns were not always there )

For multiple years

Javagal Srinath,

Ashish Zaidi,

Ishant Sharma ( alternate years ),

Umesh Yadav,

Varun Aaron,

Mohammad Shami 

Upto a Couple of seasons 

TA Sekhar

Raju Kulkarni ( maybe ),

Salil Ankola,  

Sandeep Sharma ( old ),