Vijay Shankar: I want to be a genuine allrounder

rkt.india

3 hours ago, Forever Indian said:

How many hundreds do you expect from someone batting at no.6/7 in 4 day games? He averages around 50 in FC and also got a hundred in 81 balls against Bangladesh in practice game which is not counted in his stats as it was an unofficial match.

How many hundreds does the hyped Hardik have in FC? - 0. But still we encourage Hardik based on potential. If you have ever seen Shankar bat then you will know his potential as a technically correct lower order batsman. 

He is going to play as a batsman who can bowl,  to play at no 6 you need to be better batsman. His bowling average is over 40  and  has taken just 21 wickets.

Pandya as it stands is not going become a test cricketer, he is 3 years younger than Shankar and also has more pace. I have not seen Shankar bat, far lesser players who have no chance of playing for India have played in IPL, why has this guy not played many matches in IPL then.

Pandya is more explosive batsman than him.

16 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He is going to play as a batsman who can bowl,  to play at no 6 you need to be better batsman. His bowling average is over 40  and  has taken just 21 wickets.

Pandya as it stands is not going become a test cricketer, he is 3 years younger than Shankar and also has more pace. I have not seen Shankar bat, far lesser players who have no chance of playing for India have played in IPL, why has this guy not played many matches in IPL then.

Pandya is more explosive batsman than him.

If it is limited overs I agree Shankar is not a fit. I am just talking about tests here where our team needs a pacer allrounder overseas, the same role what Jayant Yadav is doing in India.

1 minute ago, Forever Indian said:

If it is limited overs I agree Shankar is not a fit. I am just talking about tests here where our team needs a pacer allrounder overseas, the same role what Jayant Yadav is doing in India.

To play test cricket you need to be more fitter, you need to last 5 days. Why do you think people quit test cricket first and T20 last particulars fast bowlers.

Just because you need all rounder you do not play bits and pieces player, If i were Kohli or Kumble I would play both Jadeja and Ashwin with 3 fast bowlers when you play abroad over these bits and pieces players.

2 minutes ago, putrevus said:

To play test cricket you need to be more fitter, you need to last 5 days. Why do you think people quit test cricket first and T20 last particulars fast bowlers.

Just because you need all rounder you do not play bits and pieces player, If i were Kohli or Kumble I would play both Jadeja and Ashwin with 3 fast bowlers when you play abroad over these bits and pieces players.

What is the use of two spinners when even one has been useless for us in Eng/Aus/NZ, etc. It should be 3 pacers, 1 pacer allrounder and 1 spinner.

No one is saying to play bits and pieces cricketer. A player averaging 50 in FC is a proper bat. Likes of Vijay, Sehwag, Ganguly, etc. did not even have that 50 average. Just because we have had someone like Binny who is a bits and pieces cricketer (averaging 34 with both bat and ball), it doesnt mean we stop looking for potential pacer allrounders.

3 minutes ago, Forever Indian said:

What is the use of two spinners when even one has been useless for us in Eng/Aus/NZ, etc. It should be 3 pacers, 1 pacer allrounder and 1 spinner.

No one is saying to play bits and pieces cricketer. A player averaging 50 in FC is a proper bat. Likes of Vijay, Sehwag, Ganguly, etc. did not even have that 50 average. Just because we have had someone like Binny who is a bits and pieces cricketer (averaging 34 with both bat and ball), it doesnt mean we stop looking for potential pacer allrounders.

I never said to stop looking for all rounders but what you do not want to do is try to create one. Three fast bowlers are more than enough, I would take my chances with two very good spinners who can bat a bit over player who is averaging 40  with ball and has taken just 21  wickets in five years.He should be taking more that in one season.

22 hours ago, putrevus said:

He should get his chances but he is already 26 and fast bowlers tend to lose steam by 30.

Not nowadays..... most pacers these days are bowling at almost full pace till 34 or thereabouts.

Fitness level have gone up a lot, especially among the 30+ guys

Edited by express bowling
18 hours ago, express bowling said:

Not nowadays..... most pacers these days are bowling at almost full pace till 34 or thereabouts.

Fitness level have gone up a lot, especially among the 30+ guys

He is not a pacer , he is at best 125 k bowler with over 40 bowling average and has taken just 21 wickets in five seasons, in what world are those figures suggesting that he will do a competent job as an allounder for Indian team.

4 minutes ago, putrevus said:

He is not a pacer , he is at best 125 k bowler with over 40 bowling average and has taken just 21 wickets in five seasons, in what world are those figures suggesting that he will do a competent job as an allounder for Indian team.

He is perhaps one of those seamers who is bowling better this season and was not that good earlier.

Saw him bowl in a FC match and he was no worse than TN's front-line seamers.

He will not make it as a bowler or a bowling all-rounder..... but can make it to the team as a batsman who can bowl a few overs.

His advantage is that he has a FC average of 49 and plays like a proper batsman....ca hit the ball big too.

So, basically,  a batsman who can bowl.

1 minute ago, express bowling said:

He is perhaps one of those seamers who is bowling better this season and was not that good earlier.

Saw him bowl in a FC match and he was no worse than TN's front-line seamers.

He will not make it as a bowler or a bowling all-rounder..... but can make it to the team as a batsman who can bowl a few overs.

His advantage is that he has a FC average of 49 and plays like a proper batsman....ca hit the ball big too.

So, basically,  a batsman who can bowl.

He plays most of his games in Chennai, where that pitch is flat as pancake , I do not think his batting average is an indication of his ability.I do not see where he has impressed with either bat or ball this season to be even discussed for Indian team.India A is another story.

People who are saying what has Pandya done, well he has not anything spectacular in FC cricket but he is always in minds of selectors because he plays other forms of cricket and that is the advantage players like him have. Jadeja and Ashwin got into test team based on their exploits in short forms only.

1 minute ago, putrevus said:

He plays most of his games in Chennai, where that pitch is flat as pancake , I do not think his batting average is an indication of his ability.I do not see where he has impressed with either bat or ball this season to be even discussed for Indian team.India A is another story.

People who are saying what has Pandya done, well he has not anything spectacular in FC cricket but he is always in minds of selectors because he plays other forms of cricket and that is the advantage players like him have. Jadeja and Ashwin got into test team based on their exploits in short forms only.

Shankar looked good in the SMA Trophy and was hitting 135 K + balls for 6s while picking up crucial wickets.

He also scored a 103 n.o very  quickly against the Bangladesh team in the 2 day match

it is possible that he is an improved player this year

Let's see if he does well in the IPL  against international bowlers

We will get a better idea about him then

It doesn't matter what we feel about Shankar especially since he is into consideration by management. I heard commentators saying during one match that dravid is specifically monitoring him and is quite impressed. He will surely be fast tracked if he shows even few signs of improvement in his bowling and that will also keep Pandya on toes to be not complacent.

1 hour ago, putrevus said:

For a serious cricket fan who has played at some level of cricket its very obvious the batting abilitiy  of Shankar .

Looking at some of the comments its clear some people just want to blurt out bu ** it  without a good understanding of the game .

May be thy have a look at  averages  and then have GO  here in this forum !!!    

30 minutes ago, prudent_kreeda said:

For a serious cricket fan who has played at some level of cricket its very obvious the batting abilitiy  of Shankar .

Looking at some of the comments its clear some people just want to blurt out bu ** it  without a good understanding of the game .

May be thy have a look at  averages  and then have GO  here in this forum !!!    

I think many people have not seen him bat, hence the reaction.

In the telecasted Ranji game featuring Tamil Nadu, Shankar was batting properly, like a good batsman does. His innings was filled with strokes too.    In the T20 games, he displayed the ability to hit 135 k + seamers for big hits.  batting talent is obviously there.

His defensive game is unknown to me though, especially against quicks.

6 hours ago, express bowling said:

I think many people have not seen him bat, hence the reaction.

In the telecasted Ranji game featuring Tamil Nadu, Shankar was batting properly, like a good batsman does. His innings was filled with strokes too.    In the T20 games, he displayed the ability to hit 135 k + seamers for big hits.  batting talent is obviously there.

His defensive game is unknown to me though, especially against quicks.

Whatever i have seen of him i think he ll struggle against full incoming ball as his front feet doesnt move much. Which will b problem if he chases ball outside off. 

But also what matters in his case is that his batting is way better than PAndya. 

Pandya is a better bowler......now depends on team which area they wanna boost batting or bowling