Tamil Folk Singer Arrested for Sedition Over Song Criticising Jayalalithaa

Singh bling

blank.gif

Tamil Nadu | Reported by J Sam Daniel Stalin | Updated: October 31, 2015 00:49 IST

Banking Jobs – Over 32,500 IFBI-trained students placed in leading banks !

ifbi.com/Limited-Seats-Register-Now

EMAIL
PRINT
27COMMENTS

Click to Play

The singer Kovan's song, uploaded on YouTube, demands the closure of government liquor shops in Tamil Nadu.

CHENNAI:  A folk singer has been arrested in Tamil Nadu on charges of sedition for a song in which he criticises Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and has caricatured her. He has been sent to judicial custody till November 6.

The singer Kovan's song, uploaded on YouTube earlier this month, demands the closure of government liquor shops in the state. It has also been shared virally on WhatsApp.

Kovan, 54, who is a member of a performing group called the Makkal Kalai Ilakkiya Kazhagam, was arrested in Trichy, where he lives, this morning and was taken to state capital Chennai.

The song says while schools are shut in Tamil Nadu, liquor shops are being opened everywhere. It also shows caricatures of Ms Jayalalithaa serving liquor.

The Chennai police have alleged that the singer has made derogatory remarks against the Chief Minister.

Ms Jayalalithaa returned as chief minister of Tamil Nadu earlier this year, after a high court quashed corruption charges against her. She had stepped down from the post last year after being convicted in a corruption case.

Human Rights Activist Henry Tiphagne, Director of People's Watch, said, "At best this could be defamatory and how they could impose a sedition charge for this? How can the Chief Minister be so intolerant? It's the duty of rights defenders to criticise the wrong policies of the government."

Liquor shops in the state fetch a whopping Rs. 27000 crores as revenue. All opposition parties including the DMK and PMK are promising prohibition if they win elections.

Tamil Nadu will vote next year for a new assembly.

http://www.ndtv.com/tamil-nadu-news/tamil-nadu-folk-singer-arrested-on-sedition-charges-for-song-critical-of-jayalalithaa-1238146

What a tragedy , but how many Tamil singers , film makers will now return award against this state oppression 

Isn't this exactly the intolerance that people have returned rewards against?

This is yet another version of RSS brand of upper caste Hinduism. A sickening ideology which is becoming more deep rooted every day. Think of Dalits as Ahmadis in the Pakistani context.

The guy is charged with sedition by the Govt. other incidents no Govt was involved. If BJP govt at states started arresting muslims and slap  sedition charges then protest against them is justiufied

The guy is charged with sedition by the Govt. other incidents no Govt was involved. If BJP govt at states started arresting muslims and slap  sedition charges then protest against them is justiufied

The climate is not limited to BJP states. It is everywhere and growing. It is the Hindutva and RSS ideology which is the problem, no matter who implements it.

As for BJP, they are renowned for throwing innocent Muslims in jail. One major incident being Modi himself signing off on Akshardham 'terrorists' who were proven innocent by the SC after 10 years in jail.

Isn't this exactly the intolerance that people have returned rewards against?

This is yet another version of RSS brand of upper caste Hinduism. A sickening ideology which is becoming more deep rooted every day. Think of Dalits as Ahmadis in the Pakistani context.

Amma is an egoistic brat and it is well known that she doesn't take criticism very well. If there are religious undertones to this incident that would be ironical as an RSS type ideology would dictate a reduction in the consumption of alcohol in the first place.

The climate is not limited to BJP states. It is everywhere and growing. It is the Hindutva and RSS ideology which is the problem, no matter who implements it.

As for BJP, they are renowned for throwing innocent Muslims in jail. One major incident being Modi himself signing off on Akshardham 'terrorists' who were proven innocent by the SC after 10 years in jail.

As usual showing your ignorance by only quoting 2-3 media incidents

Let me show you something

Sikhs, Christians more likely to be jailed than Hindus and Muslims

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/hindus-least-likely-to-be-jailed-sikhs-christians-most-likely/story-Og4PhnhYsPlVLJglKyeOKL.html

As a sikh should be fuming that sikhs are most like likely to undertrial and convicted . I should be fuming that How hindu's are treating sikhs badly ,But careful by careful analsys I can see that Sikhs being  restricted in Punjab Haryana and Delhi have more to to do with this. You can also carefully analyse the AND  WILL SEE THERE IS  NOTHING SUCH THING AS MUSLIMS BEING THROWN IN JAILS IN LARGE NUMBERS.

Also do you remember that Punjab militancy  times, thousands of  innocents sikh youths languished in jails too 

This can no way be related to BJP. Even back in 90s one lawyer filed a case. Amma Bhakts walked in with knives and brutalized him. He was on life support. Amma Bhakts (ladies) did a dance lifting sarees against Subramanyam swamy for filing a case on her. This has been the case ever since she came to power in early 90s.This is exactly why i hate our media. They somehow try to relate every such incident to RSS or Modi . If you do a case by case analysis you will be shocked to find out that none of them are related.  Many of these happened under many other governments as well except media just did not stitch them together to project a picture of "intolerance". 

Edited by vvvslaxman

What communists started  they will end up paying price for that.But nobody returned awards when Bengal was under communists and they killed whoever they want

This is exactly what i mean. The liberals in this country are turning a total blind eye to what the Communists did to other parties (including others on the left side of the political spectrum which was the Congress and then Trinamool) and now what the Trinamool is doing to the Left (and other political parties)

It has nothing to do even with ideology. The Shiv Sena inks somebody and we have the Trinamool killing people of nearly every political party. Which is worse?  Where is the sense of proportion? 

If liberals want India to be liberal they need to be fair. I really dont see the English media harping on about how the Trinamool are basically muscling their way in West Bengal. Of all the mainsteam political parties the Shiv Sena dont even come close to the violence with is associated with the likes of Trinamool RJD and SP. Politics in general in Maharashtra I think is a lot cleaner than some other states.

Even during the general elections 2014, some of the worst violence in the country was seen in Andhra Pradesh between TDP and YSR Congress. There were bullets and pitch battles being fought in rural areas. I did not see/read the Sena engage in such activity whereby they fired a gun at other parties cadre. They might have got into a fist fight, but thats about it.

Edited by G_B_

Amma is an egoistic brat and it is well known that she doesn't take criticism very well. If there are religious undertones to this incident that would be ironical as an RSS type ideology would dictate a reduction in the consumption of alcohol in the first place.

Your point doesn't make sense. If alcohol was a contentious issue, RSS and their Islamic equivalents would have been the best of friends.

The issue is not alcohol, but suppression of dissent. And what this incident shows is that it's easy to brand a song as sedition to suppress dissent which happens to align with upper class Hindutva.

As usual showing your ignorance by only quoting 2-3 media incidents

Let me show you something

As a sikh should be fuming that sikhs are most like likely to undertrial and convicted . I should be fuming that How hindu's are treating sikhs badly ,But careful by careful analsys I can see that Sikhs being  restricted in Punjab Haryana and Delhi have more to to do with this. You can also carefully analyse the AND  WILL SEE THERE IS  NOTHING SUCH THING AS MUSLIMS BEING THROWN IN JAILS IN LARGE NUMBERS.

Also do you remember that Punjab militancy  times, thousands of  innocents sikh youths languished in jails too 

There is a study by the National Law students which supports my contention. I am typing on my phone right now, so can't give the link readily but if you are not able to find it, let me know.

I see no reason why you keep bringing in atrocities on Sikhs in unrelated topics. I have been one of the biggest vocal critics of those atrocities, so I don't see what purpose it serves by quoting me on it.

Okay i listened to the song.. Having been in USA my threshold for "insulting  someone" is very high. But lot of Tamilians i interacted felt it was very vulgar attack on her . I understand the point of the guy. They are split on this issue. Even non Jayalalitha supporter disapproved this song. Personally i would not have arrested this guy. But many don't like this guy. 

You cannot talk like this to Jayalalitha.

Edited by vvvslaxman

Your point doesn't make sense. If alcohol was a contentious issue, RSS and their Islamic equivalents would have been the best of friends.

The issue is not alcohol, but suppression of dissent. And what this incident shows is that it's easy to brand a song as sedition to suppress dissent which happens to align with upper class Hindutva.

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make. This is suppression of dissent, yes, and the RSS led activities suppress dissent, but I am not sure what you have got to do with one when discussing about the other. Do you mean to say that this incident is a trickling effect into TN politics of the growing intolerance perpetrated by Hindutva-led forces at a national level? Or did you just bring up RSS and Hindutva as some sort of an analogy to this incident in TN?

There is a study by the National Law students which supports my contention. I am typing on my phone right now, so can't give the link readily but if you are not able to find it, let me know.

I see no reason why you keep bringing in atrocities on Sikhs in unrelated topics. I have been one of the biggest vocal critics of those atrocities, so I don't see what purpose it serves by quoting me on it.

this just doesnt make sense. You are forcible trying to bring Hindu-Hindutva in this case. If there was so much Hinduism in TN, BJP would have been a big force there and not Jaylalita and Karunanidhi.

Edited by rkt.india

Pretty much all the educated and people with social awareness regardless of which party they are affiliated to, are against TN's liquor policy .  More and more families get destroyed. Even school students resort to drinking at very early age. So it is a serious social issue that people want to deal with.  Sure some parties politicize it. But just because it is being politicized, it doesn't mean it is not a legitimate issue.  This is one sample. According to this guy's son this arrest was expected by his family. He directly puts a curse on her .. attacks her with words though with limits. Since you cannot arrest for that, they charged him with "sedition".. which is a bunch of baloney.

Edited by vvvslaxman

I don't think I have said anything about atrocities about sikhs in my this post. I have just given example that according to NCRB data sikhs are arrested and convicted much more in numbers than hindu's. any minority right actvist can take this data and make against Govt.But care ful analsys will tell us that this is not true. Similarly 4-5 incidents against muslim community does not mean That something very n bad is going on in India

I don't understand the point that you are trying to make. This is suppression of dissent, yes, and the RSS led activities suppress dissent, but I am not sure what you have got to do with one when discussing about the other. Do you mean to say that this incident is a trickling effect into TN politics of the growing intolerance perpetrated by Hindutva-led forces at a national level? Or did you just bring up RSS and Hindutva as some sort of an analogy to this incident in TN?

My point is that the level of intolerance in the Indian society has been increasing. Most of it has to do with the surgence of RSS and the rest has to do with other radical groups and governments. Whether there is a causality, there probably is but it is difficult to establish even if it exists.

My other point is that we can't and shouldn't compare the present tolerance or lack of with what happened during the emergency 40 years and two generations back, when the society and how to manipulate it had different means. There were a lot of supporters for Congress even in '77 - they won 40% of the popular vote and the reason they lost seats wasn't so much popular disenchantment but opposition unity. That's why one has to be careful in ascribing popular support as a proxy to tolerance/intolerance.

I don't think I have said anything about atrocities about sikhs in my this post. I have just given example that according to NCRB data sikhs are arrested and convicted much more in numbers than hindu's. any minority right actvist can take this data and make against Govt.But care ful analsys will tell us that this is not true. Similarly 4-5 incidents against muslim community does not mean That something very n bad is going on in India

Firstly, it's not 4-5 incidents as I've pointed out.

Secondly, can you point me to the careful analysis you are referring to so I can examine it in more detail and point rebuttals/criticism if any?