'I was determined to prove to everyone I could bat'

rkt.india

211655.jpgIyer on the IPL auction: "We were playing the Ranji Trophy quarter-final against Delhi in Cuttack and our coach strictly said that we were not go to the dressing room and switch on the TV" © BCCI

Shreyas Iyer is one of the early pace-setters this Ranji Trophy season. With a century, the third fastest double-hundred in the tournament's history, and a match-winning 82 in a low-scoring thriller, he is already turning heads. Iyer, who has carried Mumbai's batting so far this season, has had an interesting initiation into cricket. Here's his story in his own words.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ranji-trophy-2015-16/content/story/937313.html

FROM ESPNCRICINFO -- Link below

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india/content/player/642519.html

Shreyas Iyer      

India

Full name Shreyas Santosh Iyer

Born December 6, 1994, Mumbai

Current age 20 years 338 days

Major teams Delhi Daredevils, India Under-19s,Mumbai Under-19s

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Legbreak googly

Batting and fielding averages
 MatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR100504s6sCtSt
First-class18291151420054.07187680.704719023110
List A661273105*54.6029492.851220700
Twenty20212124828325.36392122.9504432250

Just look at the average--scoring rate combo in the 4 or 5 day games. Reminds me of Sehwag. ( although he has a long way to go to be there ). 

Excellent in List A also.

Edited by express bowling

Get him in plans for World T20. He can challenge likes of Rayudu for a spot in XI. 

One young talent that has got everyone excited after Sanju Samson. Sanju is going through some ups and down - lets see how Iyer progresses. 

Samson has always been hot and cold in domestic cricket, but is still very young. Iyer certainly looks better, atm. This is his 2nd consecutive successful season.

Edited by rkt.india

Samson has always been hot and cold in domestic cricket, but is still very young. Iyer certainly looks better, atm. This is his 2nd consecutive successful season.

Yes Iyer may be better than Samson who is also very talented I feel. Iyer being in Mumbai may help him out in terms of better support structure. 

Yes Iyer may be better than Samson who is also very talented I feel. Iyer being in Mumbai may help him out in terms of better support structure. 

Samson has not been able to strings some good scores consistently. He had a 100 earlier in the season and then didnt do much. In fact, he had a horrible run after that scoring just 155 runs in 5 games at 19 with one 100. Scored 54 runs in 7 other innings. He already has 6 100s in 26 FC matches but he needs to get consistent. He will hit a 100 and then go missing for several games. The reason despite 6 100s, he still only averages around 40.

Edited by rkt.india
Samson has not been able to strings some good scores consistently. He had a 100 earlier in the season and then didnt do much. In fact, he had a horrible run after that scoring just 155 runs in 5 games at 19 with one 100. Scored 54 runs in 7 other innings. He already has 6 100s in 26 FC matches but he needs to get consistent. He will hit a 100 and then go missing for several games. The reason despite 6 100s, he still only averages around 40.

Yes consistency is a must but Samson is one for the future do you or don't you agree ?