Starc Clocks 160.4km/h or 99.6m

CG

:facepalm:

one problem with judging those pacers speed based on that speed competition is one never know the accuracy of the speed gun used in that competition compared to the ones being used now.

People had travelled to the moon in 60's, and you are questioning a simple speed machine's authenticity? The mechanism is still the same, there's no way that caliberation wouldn't be done if speeds are to be compared. Hence, the speed would ofcourse be caliberated from those speed guns to the one's used now, by ICC

NZ coach Craig Mcmillan doubting the speed gun's reading.

Mitchell Starc has challenged New Zealand batting coach, Craig McMillan, to face him in the nets after McMillan questioned whether the left-arm quick had topped 160kph.

During a fiery spell after lunch on the third day Starc delivered the fastest recorded delivery in a Test; a searing yorker to Ross Taylor which was clocked by the Nine Network's speed gun at 160.4kph.

But McMillan, who faced the fastest recorded delivery in an ODI against Pakistan at Lahore in 2002, questioned the legitimacy of the technology.

"I don't know, maybe someone in the truck was having a bit of fun but that delivery came out of nowhere and looked pretty similar to a lot of deliveries throughout the day that were closer to 150 than 160," McMillan said.

"I'm not sure if maybe the wrong button was pushed, but you'd have to ask Rossco whether it felt 10kph quicker than any other delivery he faced."

McMillan was batting at No. 3 for New Zealand when he faced a Shoaib Akhtar delivery that was clocked by a sponsor's speed gun at 161kph.

"It felt more like 181 to be fair, Shoaib Akhtar at his quickest," joked McMillan. "No, it just felt like a normal delivery. It was in different circumstances. I'd have to say I was a bit surprised when it came up on the TV because a couple of the spinners' deliveries were quite high as well. Maybe there was a technical problem down in the truck."

When told of McMillan's comments, Starc fired back with cheeky challenge.

"Happy for him to face me in the nets tomorrow if he wants," he retorted with a decided smirk.

Regardless of the actual speed, Starc felt it was the fastest spell he's bowled to date. Operating from the Lillee Marsh End, he was consistently clocked above 150kph in a spell that tested the reflexes and nerve of Taylor and Brendon McCullum. The speeds displayed on the big screen at the WACA roused a crowd that had been subdued, like Australia's bowling attack, by the brilliant 265-run partnership between Taylor and Kane Williamson which had brought New Zealand back into the contest.

"I was trying to bowl quick. It was nice to have a nice run-up in and not have to jump up to the square, have a nice breeze" Starc said. "It was all sort of working nicely for the left-armers at this end. Nice to have some rhythm, have the ball coming out nicely. Unfortunately I couldn't get a couple of wickets to go with it."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-new-zealand-2015-16/content/story/941203.html

Edited by Mosher

People had travelled to the moon in 60's, and you are questioning a simple speed machine's authenticity? The mechanism is still the same, there's no way that caliberation wouldn't be done if speeds are to be compared. Hence, the speed would ofcourse be caliberated from those speed guns to the one's used now, by ICC

Not sure if ICC had anything to do with that competition. Please correct me if am wrong.

I seriously believe the speeds reported by that speed gun should never be compared with the current speed guns outputs. It must have been a newly invented device in its infancy.

In last 20 years we had around 10 bowlers going above 150 in real match situation. How come no bowler from that period (even the likes of thomson) not being able to even touch 150 that too in non-match situation. Hard to believe.

one problem with judging those pacers speed based on that speed competition is one never know the accuracy of the speed gun used in that competition compared to the ones being used now.

I have no reasons to assume that speed gun technology was not accurate in  1979. It is not rocket science and, as RightarmFast said, rocket science was pretty developed by then.

Mcmillan used to be these chirpy irritating guy always. A bad loser, but one who wouldn't give a quarter to the opponent. Back to his normal days. but by josh, he would be the hero of every pakistani today, with his comments :)

http://www.starsports.com/cricket/tour/australia-vs-newzealand-267/matchvideos/index.html

The way Mccullum was late on a few deliveries tells you Starc was bowling real quick.

Waqar and Wasim were not of similar pace. Waqar was much quicker. Perhaps bowled around 137 to 147 k in his heydays.

Wasim and Imran were not all that quick in the air most times but both had very good bouncers. In the days of " no regular speed gun in matches " the bouncers were wrongly thought to be the much quicker deliveries and those pacers who bowled good bouncers were generally known as fast bowlers....unless of course you were really quick in the air like Waqar and it was visible by the lethal yorkers you bowled.

Shoaib is the quickest Pakistani pacer till date and that too by a large margin.

Mohammad Zahid was probably faster.

Another example of how hyped the Paki bowlers of the past were, as also the other bowlers from the world. Look at this video of Waqar and Wasim, when they were at their fastest, 1994! Listen to the comments about the Waqar Younis delievery at 00.38. Listen to the commentary from 1.40 to 1.48. The commentator clearly says it was clocked at 133kph!!!! Thats just 83 mph. 

While Wasim Akram in his 1 delievery looks just military medium. And this was the time when they were at their full pace, bowling abroad and bowling in just a one day!

Fast bowling competition  Gave slow reading even in 1998

1998 Competition

A fastest bowler competition was held at the testimonial match for Courtney Walsh on July 20, 1998.

PlayerKphNotes
Devon Malcolm141.6winner
Franklyn Rose141.6 
Andy Caddick140.0 
Nixon McLean138.4 
Ed Giddins138.4 
Courtney Walsh133.5 
Ian Bishop133.5 
David Lawrence125.5

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/283875.html

Even Vinay Kumar and Bhuvneshwar Kumar are capable of throwing bowl at 142 .How come winner of that competition in 1998 was clocked at 141.6 when in test his fastest was around 155 

Fast bowling competition  Gave slow reading even in 1998

Even Vinay Kumar and Bhuvneshwar Kumar are capable of throwing bowl at 142 .How come winner of that competition in 1998 was clocked at 141.6 when in test his fastest was around 155 

None of those bowlers were quick at that time. Devon Malcolm and  Bishop were past their prime. Others all were never fast.

Edited by rkt.india