what hogwash by ICC: ICC rates Nagpur pitch as "poor" - investigation to be done

fineleg

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-south-africa-2015-16/content/story/946137.html

Show middle finger to ICC

SA captain Hashim Amla: The surface was probably the toughest that I have had and the cricket itself was really difficult

India captain Virat Kohli: I have said this before, wherever you go to play in the world, you've got to be prepared to face those conditions and tune your game accordingly… I don't know why is there so much hype created around the issue.

Day 2

SA coach Russell Domingo: You've got to give India credit. They have prepared wickets that suit their style of play…We're not going to criticise the pitch right now.

India spinner R Ashwin: What's the problem with spin and bounce? It is good, even spin and bounce, isn't it? It is about skill for batsmen to play it and counter it

Post-match

India team director Shastri: "Nothing wrong with it [pitches produced for the Test series]…I would hope the one in Delhi is absolutely the same. I have no qualms about it.

The ICC's pitch and outfield monitoring process in 2010 states that a pitch is said to be poor if  any of the following apply:

• The pitch offers excessive seam movement at any stage of the match
  • The pitch displays excessive unevenness of bounce for any bowler at any stage of the match
  • The pitch offers excessive assistance to spin bowlers, especially early in the match
  • The pitch displays little or no seam movement or turn at any stage in the match together with no significant bounce or carry, thereby depriving the bowlers of a fair contest between bat and ball.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-south-africa-2015-16/content/story/946137.html

Excessive seam movement at any stage of the match  is one of the conditions for a poor pitch. We have seen quite a few such pitches over the years in England, South Africa  New Zealand etc.. Has the question regarding the pitch being poor been raised in such cases ?

Good call by ICC match referee . If fast bowlers and batsmen are completely negated , then it is a poor pitch .

Good pitches should not make anyone's job easy . It was easy for spinners to take wkts at Nagpur.

I think ICC should stop focusing on pitches and concentrate on improving the cricket ball instead. A better cricket ball that offers swing and turn will make cricket more balanced and teams will rely less on pitch doctoring home advantage.

Good call by ICC match referee . If fast bowlers and batsmen are completely negated , then it is a poor pitch .

Good pitches should not make anyone's job easy . It was easy for spinners to take wkts at Nagpur.

I think ICC should stop focusing on pitches and concentrate on improving the cricket ball instead. A better cricket ball that offers swing and turn will make cricket more balanced and teams will rely less on pitch doctoring home advantage.

Absolute nonsense. The Perth test between Australia and New Zealand produced one of the most boring games in recent memory. Both team batsmen scored 100's for fun, why did ICC not mark that pitch as poor? Since it did not have anything in it for the bowlers? Any pitch in the subcontinent is always marked as poor. They need to show some consistency and mark the flat test pitches around the world as poor rather than shooting down pitches which actually produce results.

Agree with ICC here, you can make pitch that suit your style but there has to be some sportsmanship here the ball was turning from ball one with new ball, Our team and management has became too insecure and fear great about loosing match in India, in early 2000 we had good pitches where ball would turn in the afternoon session each day, good for seam bowling first half an hour then good for batting.

ICC should also rate pitches which has too much grass side ways movement from first day like we some time get in Durban, or few centers in UK.

Overall we need strong ICC to save cricket otherwise on one will come to watch predictable cricket

if Srini was still at the helm, no one would have worries about these blatantly biased "investigations" by ICC. Now with the nice guy in seat (may be he will prove me wrong and show some spine) we can expect getting back to 80s and 90s with BCCI getting the wrong end of stick every time..

By the above definition of poor pitches, probably 75% of the tests in last 2 years should have pitches investigated.

Hayden hits back at Shastri :

Former Australia batsman Matthew Hayden on Tuesday hit back at India team director Ravi Shastri’s swipe at Australian critics of the spin-friendly pitch prepared for the recent Nagpur Test, saying that having played 103 Tests for his country, he has the right to speak for the game’s betterment.

Yes you can hayden . Don;t let that loser sastri tell you what you can say .

"Australia all-rounder Glenn Maxwell described the “minefield” pitch as “diabolical” on Twitter, while Hayden was disappointed to “see the quality of Test cricket reduced to what we are witnessing”."

Even Maxwell is criticizing the Indian cricketing establishment and their brazen pitch doctoring :hmmm:

Its hypocrisy nothing else.Its just mindset that pitches with lot of grass like we saw at hobart where aus lost to nz are tough pitches and pitches which take turn are minefields.Same guys were not complaining in england.Fact is current crop are not good enough.For betterment of test cricket u need competitive matches but in current era home team has been dominating everywhere so nothing new. 

The only pathetic defense from the indian side seems to be ...we have a right to doctor our pitches because teams get out for poor totals in other countries too.

Thank god we have neutral umpires now , Otherwise the likes of that great Indian match-winner - Umpire Jayaprakash , would not have allowed SA to cross single digits.

Still its burning?????:finger:

Sourav Ganguly : "I think the batsman should have batted a bit better. The balls have turned there is no doubt about that. There was a lot of help for the spinners. I think it's a one-off incident. India won't produce such pitches again"

What Is Sourav trying to imply here ? that this was a one-off doctoring ?

Disagree with him , We will produce pitches like this whenever we are desperate to win again .Just like the 90's.

Bishen Singh Bedi :

"I hope I am not making a sweeping statement here, but captain Virat Kohli will have to answer history just like Douglas Jardine had to answer history for his Bodyline tactics in 1932-33."

Since nobody got injured, virat or Sastri do not have to answer anybody.

Rest assured , our shamelessness and desperation to win always overwhelms our conscience and duty towards the game.

A contrarian view from Kepler Wessels (refer to pitches in SA in the past ):

"Each country has their preference in preparing surfaces to suit the strength of their team. In South Africa, over the past few seasons, we had two Test matches at Newlands where Australia and Pakistan got bowled out for less than 50. Both Tests came to a swift conclusion. There was also a Test against India at Centurion a while ago where the pitch was extremely bowler friendly and enabled the Proteas' pace battery to destroy India in double-quick time. I don't recall any negative comment about those surfaces.

The reason being, the Proteas won and the surfaces were deemed good for Test cricket. When the shoe is on the other foot it is far from ideal to blame conditions for defeat and become a nation of whiners."

Indian team complaining about pitches in Australia during the series :

2012 : AS INDIA consider playing two spinners in Adelaide, Michael Clarke has rejected Gautam Gambhir's tirade that Australian pitches have been doctored to suit the home team.

.....Sehwag's opening partner, Gambhir, said Australia had prepared well-grassed pitches to suit their seamers, and called on Indian curators to roll out ''rank turners'' for Australia's next visit. 

Edited by amiret