Kohli..mooh Kholli

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/south-africa-in-india/top-stories/Hurts-when-former-players-make-adverse-comments-Virat-Kohli/articleshow/50125041.cms

While he still respects those who have played for the country, Kohli found it difficult to fathom as to how some former first-class cricketers who never played for the country made adverse remarks.

"And someone who hasn't played for the country has no right in anyway to comment on an international cricketer. I don't think that has any kind of logic. You cannot sit there and say how you would have done something differently when you have not been in that situation yourself and don't have the mindset of a cricketer," Kohli, who won his second successive series as captain after the Sri Lanka triumph, said.

As he has often repeated at media conferences, Kohli again expressed his displeasure at how the team has not been given their due credit despite such a handsome series win.

"It is a pity. The series happened in our country and our own people are looking for weaknesses and areas of criticism, and not speaking enough about the kind of good cricket we played. They have been talking about the pitches and how that has been a factor," Kohli said.

Who is he referring to here? In any case, now that he is winning he is talking it off. It's sad that he expects only experienced international cricketers are to criticize his esteemed self and not some aire gaire journos who have not played for the country. Lets see if he can win a series in ENg, Aus or SA before he mouths off. 

Kohli needs to know what he is asking i impossible,he needs to ignore it  but that doesnt seem to be in DNA.That is one thing Dhoni did well,he ignored all extraneous stuff.I think he is miffed at the criticism of the pitches especially nagpur which  was really over the top.As we saw in Bangalore and Delhi that kind of pitch was not needed at all to beat the hapless saffers.

And to Kohli who is saying that those who haven't played international cricket shouldn't pass judgement - do you know who your best bowler owes his SUCCESS to? The same bowler who won you 2 high profile series?

1. Sunil Subramaniam (without him, there is no Ashwin - no way in hell - that guy literally helped him get back after 2012 England fiaso)

2. Bharat Arun to a small extent

Same way, Jaddu owes a lot to his coaches too for getting back.

Edited by sensible-indian

"And someone who hasn't played for the country has no right in anyway to comment on an international cricketer. I don't think that has any kind of logic. You cannot sit there and say how you would have done something differently when you have not been in that situation yourself and don't have the mindset of a cricketer," Kohli, who won his second successive series as captain after the Sri Lanka triumph, said.

I am a big fan of Kohli's aggressive captaincy...but this statement does not make any sense at all.  

Interest in every sport and mass fan following stems from this tendency. People who have not played internationally  taking very high interest and putting themselves in the shoes of international sportsmen. When Tendulkar scored a century 98 % of Indians " scored a century " with him....and hence his demigod status.

The day the non-international cricketers and common people stop commenting ....it means all interest is lost in the sport and even great sportsmen will be treated as ordinary people. Is Vishwanathan Anand in any way a lesser sportsman than Kohli ? Perhaps better ! But he is an almost ordinary person because the common  people do not have much understanding or interest in his sport and do not have the inclination to get involved or comment about chess.

As he has often repeated at media conferences, Kohli again expressed his displeasure at how the team has not been given their due credit despite such a handsome series win.

"It is a pity. The series happened in our country and our own people are looking for weaknesses and areas of criticism, and not speaking enough about the kind of good cricket we played. They have been talking about the pitches and how that has been a factor," Kohli said.

Kohli is spot on here...I agree whole-heartedly. Trying to take away credit from a 3-0 drubbing of the no.1 test side is a very big achievement even at home and not recognizing it reflects a very negative mindset.

He should have made this statement only and not the earlier one.

Edited by express bowling

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/south-africa-in-india/top-stories/Hurts-when-former-players-make-adverse-comments-Virat-Kohli/articleshow/50125041.cms

Some excerpts from that interview --

Has the fact that you are a bowlers’ captain been vital to the team winning Test matches rather than drawing them?

It is very important to give confidence to the bowlers. We have told the bowlers that they are the bosses and they will dictate terms in Test cricket. And we want each bowler to think, ‘I am going to win the match for India’. Batsmen will contribute at some stage, but it is up to the bowlers to take responsibility and feel like match-winners.

In all the other teams their bowlers are looked after very well. You can see the captains giving them confidence, knowing that this guy is going to do the job for him. As an opposition batsman you feel like you are getting nothing from that bowler. It feels nice when our bowlers go out there and dominate; bowling with pace or spinning the ball, and troubling the opposition batsman. We want to make it as difficult for other team’s batsmen to score and survive as it is for us.

A very good example of that was Umesh Yadav’s last spell in the Delhi Test.

Absolutely. The way he bowled so brilliantly, he opened things up for us beautifully with that wicket of Dane Vilas just after tea. I had a discussion with Ravi (Shastri) bhai during the tea break and he said we must try and bowl as many overs as possible by bringing in spin from both ends. But I told him that the ball is reversing and Umesh is bowling with pace, so let me try and bowl him for a few overs as it might just hit the pad or something. And he just turned the whole game around. Those are the small moments when you need to show a little more belief in a particular bowler and push him a little more. In return he will give you the whole game. That’s exactly what Umesh did.

What made me really happy as the captain is that all my bowlers told me that they are ready bowl non-stop until the last minute of the Test.

That is the kind of effort they are ready to put in for the team. If I give them confidence, they want to bowl their heart out for me. We take care of each other and play for each other.

:hatsoff:

These words, along with his actions, show how lucky we are to have a captain like Kohli....he will create the much needed bowling culture as well as fast bowling culture in India.      :two_thumbs_up:

Edited by express bowling

Has the fact that you are a bowlers’ captain been vital to the team winning Test matches rather than drawing them?

It is very important to give confidence to the bowlers. We have told the bowlers that they are the bosses and they will dictate terms in Test cricket. And we want each bowler to think, ‘I am going to win the match for India’. Batsmen will contribute at some stage, but it is up to the bowlers to take responsibility and feel like match-winners.

In all the other teams their bowlers are looked after very well. You can see the captains giving them confidence, knowing that this guy is going to do the job for him. As an opposition batsman you feel like you are getting nothing from that bowler. It feels nice when our bowlers go out there and dominate; bowling with pace or spinning the ball, and troubling the opposition batsman. We want to make it as difficult for other team’s batsmen to score and survive as it is for us.

Absolutely. The way he bowled so brilliantly, he opened things up for us beautifully with that wicket of Dane Vilas just after tea. I had a discussion with Ravi (Shastri) bhai during the tea break and he said we must try and bowl as many overs as possible by bringing in spin from both ends. But I told him that the ball is reversing and Umesh is bowling with pace, so let me try and bowl him for a few overs as it might just hit the pad or something. And he just turned the whole game around. Those are the small moments when you need to show a little more belief in a particular bowler and push him a little more. In return he will give you the whole game. That’s exactly what Umesh did.

What made me really happy as the captain is that all my bowlers told me that they are ready bowl non-stop until the last minute of the Test.

That is the kind of effort they are ready to put in for the team. If I give them confidence, they want to bowl their heart out for me. We take care of each other and play for each other.

These words, along with his actions, show how lucky we are to have a captain like Kohli....he will create the much needed bowling culture as well as fast bowling culture in India.      :two_thumbs_up:

Kohli :two_thumbs_up:

Edited by Mosher

Very worrying comments to be honest.

Pretty embarrassing stuff from Kohli.

Batting was phattu. No two ways about it. If he expects people to pat him and his batsmen on the back like some motivational guru, he is mistaken.

In some ways, his attitude is amazing. In other ways, its very concerning. :((

Well...he is aggressive and that attitude is helping him on the field but you have other side to it as well......

Thanks for quoting good points from this interview, selective negative quoting makes it look like he is a villain. All the interviews and post match conferences show that Virat Kohli is a bowler's captain and the important thing is that he supports and gives confidence to the Fast bowlers as much as spinners.

Except for the part about non international cricketers not having a right to criticize, he makes some valid points. If we go to SA or Eng or Aus and get pasted 3-0 or worse, the critics will be out in full force. But even when we win at home, the wins are discredited. This has been going on and on forever. The only way this team can stop such negativity is by snagging a series win or a draw abroad against strong opposition.

Edited by nevada

People focus on one part of his statement but not the larger picture. He shouldn't have made that statement about who can criticize and who cannot, but the rest of what he says is absolutely spot-on. 

This is the problem with our media and most of the Indians with severe inferiority complex. See some chutiyas in the top. 90% of the interview is gold but no, they are "embarrassed" for the 10% of the whole interview totally ignoring the other 90%.

When India loses overseas, have we ever heard about conditions or anything else. It is always how the players played poorly, how they are only after money, how they are only interested about IPL. When Australia gets whitewashed in India then it is not a big feat but when the opposite happens in Australia, India becomes the worst team in the world and players' integrity is questioned. Sick of the hypocrites :mad: 

It doesn't matter if he says 90% good stuff in an interview (his attitude has been praised by fans in the past). If the other 10% is dumb stuff, it will be focused upon. As a captain and someone who gets to handle the media a lot, Kohli ought to know better.

But for me, that one particular view is more worrying than his comment in media. In good times, everyone is a hero.

Anyways....nothing wrong in having some constructive criticism.

We are all fans of Kohli the captain at the end of the day.

Edited by sensible-indian