India squad for Australia ODIs/T20s RELEASED

FischerTal

he is the best seaming allrounder we have.....live with it

actually no,he is very average nowadays and only bullies the weak teams he plays against in dharmsala (his pace has dropped in the last 2 years) ,he was pretty decent in 2013 .

Pandya is clearly the better choice of the two tbh but I hope dhawan keeps it tight

yes, certainly, Bumrah is more experienced and better equipped to play ODIs at,m than Sran who is just a rookie.

possibly they wanted a left arm pace bowler and their previous selection was a failure( sreenath arvind)

I kinda agree to your point as I have no knowledge of bran but bumrah has done fairly well every where .. though I would prefer shardul only bcos he deserves a place on performance.

Iyer and shardul deserved places ahead of bran and manish pandey but bcos bran seems to be a left arm quick ( whether he is a quick or trundler , I m not sure).

had Iyer and shardul got selected- I wud have been sure that they would do well as they seem to be at the peak of their career.

bumrah has awkward bowling style so I am sure that he would succeed in his first few games when ever he is unearthed.

but if Bran has genuine potential and can get good bounce that Australia is the place to play.

still its OK.. bran , shardul and bumrah , all 3 r good.

Good for India that Starc is injured. India won't win but hope we put up a good performance.  

What worries us is the form of the Indian One day side. They got to play like they are the second best side in the world right now.

I hope to see something better from Jan this year and I hope it happens.

"He used to bowl leg spin during his Under-19 days, but wasn't going anywhere. So we asked him to work on his batting. He had the strength," Sanath Kumar told ESPNcricinfo. "In a couple of games, he was comfortably outscoring Yusuf Pathan. That is when he realised he had the ability to bat higher up. The fact that he is a sharp bowler and can ease the workload of the main bowlers is an added incentive. He will be an ideal short-format cricketer."

Talk about your maiden India call-up.

It felt amazing. It was funny because I was expecting the call-up but still it came as a surprise. When I say I was expecting it, I mean you get the vibe that it is going to happen soon. Selectors come up to you and say you’re doing well, and you know they have their eyes on you. I haven’t done too well in the Vijay Hazare Trophy this year, but I knew I was in the selectors’ radar. Sandeep Patil (Chairman of national selection committee) sir came to watch a Ranji Trophy game (Baroda vs Railways) of ours in which I was the Man of the Match. They saw that I was batting and bowling well, even though I haven’t had too many high numbers in the Vijay Hazare Trophy. But even though you are anticipating it, when the moment actually comes, the feeling is something else.

Is the World Twenty20 on your mind?

Of course, it is. My goal was to make it to the Indian team. Now that I have, I can’t wait to make my international debut. I am confident of playing my first game for India in the Australia series and doing well. If I manage that, I will stand a very good chance of getting selected for the World Twenty20 next year. That is my next goal.

As a pace bowling all-rounder and a hard-hitting batsman Australia seems to be the perfect venue to make your international debut, doesn’t it?

It really is. The pitches there suit my style of cricket. I would enjoy bowling on the hard, quick pitches and the good length that I bowl will cause problems for batsmen. I will also enjoy batting there because the ball comes on nicely and I am good at facing short balls too.

Is it fair to say that IPL 2015 was the breakthrough moment of your cricket career?

Definitely. Before the IPL no one knew who Hardik Pandya was. I said after the final that IPL will change my life, and it has. Why I give a lot of credit to IPL is because its concept is simply amazing for young Indian players. It is not every day that you meet Sachin Tendulkar or Virender Sehwag. If it wasn’t for the IPL, I would never have met Ricky Ponting, let alone have this wonderful relationship with him. It teaches you so much about your game and about yourself. As a person I do not take too much pressure, but still, playing in tight games in the IPL, you watch how some of the established greats handle pressure and react to it, and you learn from that.

You spoke about Ricky Ponting and the bond you have formed with him. Will you seek his help now that you are going to tour his country?

I am regularly in touch with Ricky and now that I am going to Australia, I will call him up and ask him how I should prepare for those conditions and pitches. A few people are not sure if he will help me out in this regard, but I know he won’t say no to me. I know he will be there to help me in whichever way he can.

Team India has been looking for a genuine pace bowling all-rounder for years now. This is your perfect chance to make that slot yours.

I am definitely eyeing the all-rounder’s position in the team. With my decent pace and batting abilities, I can be the perfect No. 7 that India are looking for. That is the reason why I insisted on becoming an all-rounder, rather than a batsman who can bowl a bit.

You did not start out as an all-rounder. When was it that you decided to tread this path?

When I started playing cricket I was a pure batsman who would bowl very part time leg-spin. But I used to bowl medium pace in the nets sometimes since we did not have enough net bowlers to help our batsmen out. I bowled only 120-125 kph at that time, but that pace coming from a part-timer impressed everyone. Our Baroda coach, Sanath Kumar, saw me bowl in the nets one day and convinced me to focus equally on my bowling. He saw a potential all-rounder in me. I started to work hard on my bowling and focused on getting stronger physically so that my body can take the rigours of pace bowling and batting. 

Was it difficult initially for your body to take the load of fast bowling?

It was difficult at the beginning and I suffered a back injury very shortly after I started bowling regularly. I had to take a break from bowling twice for a year each. So, in my three-year long first-class career I have only bowled regularly for one year. But as I began to work out and train properly, I got stronger and now I am very confident about my bowling.

Irfan Pathan was a big influence in my development as an all-rounder. He encouraged me to focus equally on batting and bowling and I followed his lead in the way he trained worked out. If he did core exercises in the gym, I would do the same.

What worries us is the form of the Indian One day side. They got to play like they are the second best side in the world right now.

I hope to see something better from Jan this year and I hope it happens.

I am worried about our batting. Dhawan is in poor form. Kohli too is not in great form. Dhoni has become an accumulator. Rahane is hit and miss. But Rahane will probably do better on Aussie pitches. Rest of the batsman and AR's are rookies - Pandey, Gurkeerat, Rishi, have to see how they perform. So batting looks really weak. Bowling attack actually looks decent but have to see what combination Dhoni chooses. 

Edited by Mosher
I am worried about our batting. Dhawan is in poor form. Kohli too is not in great form. Dhoni has become an accumulator. Rahane is hit and miss. But Rahane will probably do better on Aussie pitches. Rest of the batsman and AR's are rookies - Pandey, Gurkeerat, Rishi, have to see how they perform. So batting looks really weak. Bowling attack actually looks decent but have to see what combination Dhoni chooses. 

Well, we do have the hitman. He'll carry the team on his shoulders.

I really feel Dhoni should have supported Raina in getting picked. Dhoni can actually use Raina's bowling better than Axar's. I wish he was picked ahead of Axar who they think is a brilliant all rounder. It won't be easy to bat in Aus, and Raina would have surely come in handy.

Edited by Cricketics