Shane Warne settles the record with Gilcrhist issue

DesiChap

WELL, I am recently retired, I have an opinion on cricket, am passionate about the game and would like to think that in my almost 20 years involved at first-class level, my opinion is, well, exactly that, a well-informed opinion. So, I assume that I fall into Adam Gilchrist's category of not having respect for the current team. First things first: Australian cricket is important to me and the game of cricket was something I was very passionate about and always will be. Sometimes when you're playing, the only thing that's important is the next game and your own form, and it can feel as if people are having a go from the outside if you're not in a good space. You can worry about stuff that's out of your control. And it can be annoying reading things you might not agree with, but everyone has an opinion - that's Australian. When the word respect comes up in sport, it grabs attention. What every sportsperson wants is respect, or for that matter any human being. And the only way you get respect is to earn it. What's more important: to be liked or respected? Lots of people are liked in a group but not respected, and vice versa, but sometimes people are both. Let me tell you a few truths, rather than myth or perception. Gilly and I are not best mates. "Surprise, surprise," I can hear people say, but that does not mean we are not friends, or buddies. We are friends. Let's set the record straight on a few issues. Yes, I sledged Gilly early in his career to see what he had. He was not alone in that club. Gilly has never spoken to me about it, so to me there is no issue on that one. Yes, Gilly took over as vice-captain. We spoke about it at the time, and standing at first slip next to him we spoke about lots of stuff. Once again, no issue. I ranked Gilly in my top 50 as the second-best wicketkeeper behind Heals (Ian Healy); out of all the people I played with and against, it's a tough call to say I did not rate him. Yes, I think Michael Clarke should be the permanent vice-captain and replace Gilly, because shortly Gilly will play only one form of the game and we want to prolong his Test career as long as possible. That's a decision that is based on planning for the future and what's best for Australian cricket, not a personal attack. The beauty about a team sport is that everyone is different and has different personalities and needs. Gilly is one of those nice people and is everyone's friend, and I suppose I'm a bit of a rebel, speak my mind and don't sit on the fence, so we did not always see eye-to-eye. To some people that means we hate each other. Rubbish again. Lots of us in the team at some stage or another did not always see eye-to-eye or agree, but you should always communicate and talk it through, which happens most of the time. If you know where you stand with people, then you know the rules. It's when people talk behind your back and not to your face that there are issues. Unfortunately, an aspect of the game that is up there with the dinosaurs - extinct - is taking someone out for a beer and resolving an issue, or hanging in the changeroom after play and talking it through, and having too many beverages and walking back to the hotel arm-in-arm and saying, "Love you, mate." These days in sport and society everyone is always too busy, or has something to do or see. Ian Chappell ON THIS one I think Gilly should be sent to the headmaster for six of the best. Every player owes the honour of playing for Australia to Ian. He stood up for what he believed in and took a risk. He helped save the game of cricket worldwide. He stood up for every cricket player and fought for better conditions for the players with regard to schedules, the players' association, pay and so on, and as far as captaincy and learning the game goes, there is no one better than Ian Chappell to talk to. As far as influences go, Ian has taught me more than anyone who has been involved in the game. He would be one of the biggest influences on my career, along with my father and my spin coach Terry Jenner. We all owe Chaps. John Buchanan HIS recent suggestion about fringe players playing for other countries is a very arrogant approach. I don't believe the current-day players or administrators are arrogant at all. Australia is the No. 1 team in the world and we should all rejoice in that and the way it plays the game, but what John is suggesting is from pixieland, lacks common sense and smells of arrogance. Teams will challenge Australia and it's not that easy to win all the time. Our players are playing excellent cricket, but we need the other countries to raise the bar and get hungry. This is where the ICC needs to act and help other countries, not just put on extra one-dayers or Twenty20 games and think all is OK. John unfortunately tries to reinvent the wheel all the time. To me, it's about the basics, do them well, and feel prepared, fresh and happy and everything else will take care of itself. Boxing Day Test WOW, what a week. The lead-up to the big day, the atmosphere, the kids with their presents from Santa all leads to excitement. Today should be a wonderful day's play at the 'G with two good and passionate cricket sides going toe-to-toe. I think Australia will win the first Test but India will fight and challenge as the series goes on. A gut feeling says this series will be a ripper. Enjoy the Test. I will, and probably for the first time this summer, I will miss the game and being out there competing. Last Boxing Day was amazing - all good memories from this respectful, retired player. http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22971587-2882,00.html