Chris Gayle reprimanded - issues apology to Mel

fineleg

Melbourne Renegades batsman Chris Gayle has come in for strong criticism for his comments towards a television presenter in an interview during his side's victory over Hobart Hurricanes at Bellerive Oval, with Anthony Everard, the head of the BBL, promising action against the batsman.

Channel Ten, the broadcaster, also confirmed that Gayle would not be involved in their coverage for the rest of the tournament as a result of comments he made to their reporter Mel McLaughlin shortly after he had been dismissed.

"I wanted to come and have an interview with you as well," Gayle said to McLaughlin, when asked about how aggressively he had batted. "That's the reason why I'm here, just to see your eyes for the first time. It's nice so. Hopefully we can win this game and have a drink after. Don't blush, baby."

Everard, who was at the game, was quick to sharply rebuke Gayle's comments. "I heard Chris' comments and they're disrespectful and simply inappropriate," he said in a statement.

"We'll certainly be talking to him and the Renegades about it. This league is all about its appeal to kids, families and females. There's just no place in the BBL - or, for that matter, cricket anywhere - for that sort of behaviour."

Melbourne Renegades' chief executive Stuart Coventry echoed Everard's comments, saying "there is just no place for that sort of behaviour".

How awkward this would have been to that anchor that too on live tv...

Kudos to her that she handled it very well.She was not blushing,she was angry.

As I said, these are horrible examples for modern day cricketers to the younger generation playing the game.

He doesn't play for his country team when it needs him the most. Cares only about money to the point that he amasses money from leagues and makes himself rich. These are terrible examples for modern day cricketers. 

he doesnt have the fitness to play test cricket anymore. He finds it difficult to sustain even T20 these days.

Awkward.... Yeah it was not appropriate and he should be fined but I think the interviewer handled it poorly... She reacted like he was molesting her or something... Nothing classy in the way she reacted.... Pretty sure she is racist much like the Aussie media who are making this a bigger issue than it is.

Edited by maniac

Awkward.... Yeah it was not appropriate and he should be fined but I think the interviewer handled it poorly... She reacted like he was molesting her or something... Nothing classy in the way she reacted.... Pretty sure she is racist much like the Aussie media who are making this a bigger issue than it is.

Erm ok, looks like you need to get back on the medication. For some reason you seem to enjoy being an apologist for losers.

Appears that Mercenary Fayle is a menace:

Chris Gayle has denied allegations that he indecently exposed himself to a woman in Sydney during the 2015 World Cup. 

The alleged incident was reported by Fairfax Media, which claimed that the West Indies manager Richie Richardson had subsequently sent a communique to all team members about the need to be more respectful to women at the World Cup.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/big-bash-league-2015-16/content/story/958683.html

Edited by The Realist

Erm ok, looks like you need to get back on the medication. For some reason you seem to enjoy being an apologist for losers.

Appears that Mercenary Fayle is a menace:

Did you miss reading the part where I said his behavior was inappropriate?

Sure Gayle is a creep but the way the lady reacted it was clear that she is not adept at handling such situations.....so much for being a " journalist/ reporter"

she was clearly hired for her looks and does not have any other talent going on.... There are classier ways to shut down such creeps rather than panic and act like he was groping her.

i have seen some of the ipl bimbos handle situations like this better.

yes gayle must be fined for such idiotic acts on national television but clearly the chick is not cut out for her job either.....she really thinks she is a serious sports journalist?

i have seen nfl players dump Gatorade etc on female reporters and they have handled such harmless fun in a much classier manner.

also the media is overreacting like gayle exposed himself on national TV or something. 

Aussie racism is usually not very subtle like it is in say US or UK.....they are still probably getting used to a multi racial society.

Likes of David Lloyd and Tony Greig have openly made passes at women in the crowd.

I remember probably during the 96 india tour  of southafrica the South African team were pulling a prank on Shaun Pollock by making it look like he was proposing to a South African tennis star( don't remember her name exactly)

the Pollock incident was probably harmless but Lloyd and Greig's behavior at times was brushed under the carpet as no big deal.

one wrong doesn't cancel out another but......

As much as Gayle's behavior was cringeworthy, the over the top reaction by the media is what is surprising.

Edited by maniac

Talk about making a mountain of a molehill!! When sharapova said to the Aussie reporter  'I couldn't hear the question as I was admiring your body' ,everyone just laughed it off .

here gayle was being stupid and trying to be oversmart tbh ,nothing close to harassment or anything though ,I personally don't find much wrong with what he said,it might work back in his home but not everywhere,needs to be careful and act like a grown up man!!

CA have taken up this issue and will reprimand gayle which is perfectly their prerogative