Lack of power hitters costing India

sandeep

Last 7-8 ODIs at home and away have shown the gaping holes in the Indian lower middle order.  Raina's absence and/or lack of form has exposed this lineup.  Rahane is a classy quality bat, and he did well given his limitations.  But he is not the guy who you want batting after the 40th over.  For that matter, at this point even Dhoni.  We are over-dependent on Rohit and Dhawan for power hitting.  Yesterday's game could have been won if not for the finger-tip runout of Rohit - he easily would have added another 20 runs or so, and I think that would have been enough.  But top teams are not a one man show.  

Pandey needs to be promoted in the lineup to see what he can do.  I like what little I have seen of him, and am hopeful.  But the power hitter cupboard looks shockingly bare.  

I don't know why the selectors are not considering players outside Dhoni's radar.Selectors are busy handling Dhoni 's ego & are giving him team he wants .

Dhoni is again commenting on Rishi Dhawan credentials as allrounder inspite of loosing with hisfavourite players.

He also believes there are no ready made cricketers in Domestic cricket.

The selectors should throw him away & select young players who have hunger to succeed. They will show Dhoni how young players are readymade for international cricket.

Mayank 

Rahane

Virat 

Dhoni / some WK replacement 

Rohit

Pandey/Gurkeerat or someone else .

Pandya

This is the only way we can solve the this problem . I dont think we will miss Rohit opening , but he can be usefull down the order cos imo hes one of the cleanest hitters we have .

Rohit is putting up all-world numbers as an opener and you want to drop him down the order.  That's bass-ackwards.  

How MS Dhoni's 'finishing trouble' is hurting the team

The wicketkeeper-batsman has repeatedly failed to provide the much-needed final touch in death overs.

Right from the ICC World Cup 2015 to the ongoing ODI series, the 34-year-old has squandered the team's advantage by not capitalizing on solid starts provided by the top order.

Despite being in commanding positions after 40-45 overs, India's total has failed to cross the 310-run mark on several occasions in the last one year.

Dhoni and Raina's cameos in the last five overs was a prime reason behind India's dominance in the last 2-3 years.

Team India seems to have lost its edge especially in the slog overs with Dhoni's inability to shift gears like he once used to.

With a bowling attack like India's, an additional cover of 20-25 runs is vital to win games. But the absence of a final flourish from the likes of Dhoni has meant an already average bowling unit has come under more pressure to defend totals.

While it is true that in the absence of Raina, Dhoni is the only candidate to bat for India in the position he does.

But with an eye on the future, the team management can no longer work with the current formula.

The absence of a clinical finisher could cost India more matches going forward.

Here is a statistical look at India's recent failures to back up the good performances from its top order.

Ongoing Australia tour

1st ODI

Dhoni came in at 243/2 (44.3 overs) and scored 18 off 13 balls. India posted 309.

2nd ODI

Dhoni came in at 255/3 (42.2 overs) and scored 11 off 10 balls. India posted 308.

ICC World Cup 2015

India vs Pakistan

Dhoni came in at 284/4 (47.3) and scored 18 off 13 balls. India posted 300.

India vs South Africa

Dhoni came in at 269/4 (44.5 overs) and scored 18 off 11 balls. India posted 307.

India vs Bangladesh

Dhoni came in at 237/4 (43.5) and scored 6 off 11 balls. India posted 302.

http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cricket/australia-vs-india-2016/india-vs-australia-ms-dhonis-poor-form-in-final-stretch-of-innings-continues_1845447.html

Agarwal and Yadav haven't really set the FC level alight with their performances.  Iyer, AFAIK is a proper batsman, and forcing him to be a power hitter to fill a role may not be the best use of him long-term.  SK Yadav had a couple of good seasons, and has the lower order hitter type game, but has shown poor temperament, and almost Pak-like in-fighting and trouble-making skills with the Mumbai team.  

I think Pandey is due a proper run, like Rayudu got.  I hope and think he will do well.  Raina's absence is really being felt, even though he wasn't in form against SA at home.  

Part of the problem is also that the lower order did not face enough deliveries to start hitting. Pandey cannot come and just start hitting. And the pressure right now on Rohit and Virat is immense. 

That's part of the job description in that role. Every Big Bash team has better power hitting than Indian team. And they get going right away. They are more powerful and more innovative and it allows them to score fast. I appreciate the Indian players trying but ability is another thing. Rahane at his best can get you 10-12 runs in an over. But we need genuine power hitters. Either pure stand and deliver power like Gayle, or pure hand eye + innovation like ABD or Maxwell. These guys are special players for sure and it's not easy to find these types. Our best power hitters in ODI's have been Raina, Rohit, Yuvraj, Dhoni and Y. Pathan.

Not sure Dhoni has it anymore either in terms of power hitting. Rohit is rarely not out when it comes to power hitting overs as you would expect from an opener. And none of the hitters I listed above had anywhere near the amount of innovation as a ABD or Maxwell. Definitely had the power which guys like Rahane don't. I'm pretty sure Gurkeerat finished an India A game with 5 sixes in a run chase. Pretty sure he has some ability to do it at least. Can bowl well in LOI's as well.

Edited by India-KXIP fan

That's part of the job description in that role. Every Big Bash team has better power hitting than Indian team. And they get going right away. They are more powerful and more innovative and it allows them to score fast. I appreciate the Indian players trying but ability is another thing. Rahane at his best can get you 10-12 runs in an over. But we need genuine power hitters. Either pure stand and deliver power like Gayle, or pure hand eye + innovation like ABD or Maxwell. These guys are special players for sure and it's not easy to find these types. Our best power hitters in ODI's have been Raina, Rohit, Yuvraj, Dhoni and Y. Pathan.

Not sure Dhoni has it anymore either in terms of power hitting. Rohit is rarely not out when it comes to power hitting overs as you would expect from an opener. And none of the hitters I listed above had anywhere near the amount of innovation as a ABD or Maxwell. Definitely had the power which guys like Rahane don't. I'm pretty sure Gurkeerat finished an India A game with 5 sixes in a run chase. Pretty sure he has some ability to do it at least. Can bowl well in LOI's as well.

I don't know what benefit IPL does for us. I don't see any talent coming through from the tournament. If at all, it makes players rich and doesn't enrich them with abilities.

We are missing them big time but there are hitters in the domestic like pandya,iyer ,its just the squad selection devoids of logic.india have witnessed lack of power hitters costing us game after game right from the nzl tour in 2014 but we haven't learn from our mistakes.

Australia bowled crap at the death,I have lost count of the no of full length balls and full tosses they bowled ,those would/should have been dispatched for 4s/6s by any decent team in the world having 8 wkts remaining but we just can't hit big atm.any decent team would have hit around 90-100 in the last 10 and would have reached 325 ,even nohit had he been there would have murdered those full tosses amd length deliveries.

Those blaming the bowlers are probably watching odi matches in Australia after a long time,Australia have been ruthless in chasing at home in the last 2-3 years,they chased 300+ against England and 280+ against saf from impossible position (now those two sides have good bowling attack) .its very difficult to defend 300 runs on these flat pitches with nothing in it,we've gotta make sure its 325 or bat second .308 for Australia at home is like 300 chase for india at rajkot lol,cakewalk

Mayank 

Rahane

Virat 

Dhoni / some WK replacement 

Rohit

Pandey/Gurkeerat or someone else .

Pandya

This is the only way we can solve the this problem . I dont think we will miss Rohit opening , but he can be usefull down the order cos imo hes one of the cleanest hitters we have .

but Rohit isnt someone who can start hitting from ball one. He needs time to settle in.

we have not selected a proper T20 team in years. We play same players in test, ODIs, T20s. while likes of Dhawan and Rahane shouldn't be in your T20 team. Any player having T20 SR at least below 125-130 should not be selected for T20Is.

I think the management and captain feel comfortable having the same set of players around,the reason they're reluctant to try anyone new.This is hurting us across all formats. 

Not sure if this guy has been talked about, but watching the Delhi-Jharkhand match, Nitish Rana seems to be one to keep a tab on. Has been playing some pretty good strokes.

yes, he is doing well in SMA trophy has hit 18 odd sixes till now, a left handed batsman to boot.