Who can do some honest talking to MS ?

It happens to all. Time flies by. You lose your reflexes. It is difficult to let go. Esp for India players who receive unreal adulation and of course endorsements. Ask Sachin Tendulkar. He was ready to drag the team down but could not accept the end. 

Now, if Dhoni is not going to play next ODI World Cup, then someone has to ask him, why exactly should he be in this team ? Yes India have played in couple of multi nation tournaments. But by and large it has been woeful. 

I fear even BCCI doesn't have the balls to challenge him. 

IMO, MSD has to give up captaincy in all formats (ODI, T20, IPL) pronto.

He needs to play only ODIs and IPL from here on. Focus on his fitness and his core cricketing role ie, WK/Bat. His aim should be to play 2019 World Cup (on merit).

He's probably batting at 70% of his ability now but I feel there's a chance he can get back some where close to his best if he focuses on WK/Bat and not worry about leading the team. His hitting ability (at will) has vastly regressed but other areas of his ODI game like ball placement, running between the wickets, game awareness while chasing are still pretty good. I believe he can get back his big hitting skills if he focuses more on his own game without worrying about the captaincy issues.

Dhoni was a capain was finished at the 2015 Wc .He has his financial interests in mind and u cannot blame him but the selectors and bcci now even srini his master is not there .Dhoni as a batsman is also struggling .I did not expect such a steady downfall in his power game.I expect this si the end of dhoni as international captain and T20 wc he will retire .

PIL

Prashant Kishore's strategy was used by Dhoni in this match to win the dead rubber... He got a rumour of him playing his last ODI spread.... Cricinfo too was roped in to spread this... The Aussie players, umpires etc were sympathetic to him when he came to bat... He tried his best to get out (but was give lives after lives so that he can have a happy ending) and was dragging the innings... :cantstop:

At the end India won easily (for the first time in the series with Aussie bowlers bowling wide full tosses)... They might feel shortchanged now that Dhoni is asking for a PIL to retire... :hysterical:

:hatsoff: Prashant Kishore....

This goes beyond cricket. Player wise, Dhoni is still BCCI's biggest cash cow. I'm 99.99% sure that BCCI gets some hefty pocket change from Dhoni's endorsements. He is among the 20 most marketable athletes in the world. We are talking serious money here.

Kohli is up there, but he is a baccha in comparison to Dhoni in this regard. Test is the least popular format in India, so Dhoni could be relieved from Test duties.

This goes beyond cricket. Player wise, Dhoni is still BCCI's biggest cash cow. I'm 99.99% sure that BCCI gets some hefty pocket change from Dhoni's endorsements. He is among the 20 most marketable athletes in the world. We are talking serious money here.

Kohli is up there, but he is a baccha in comparison to Dhoni in this regard. Test is the least popular format in India, so Dhoni could be relieved from Test duties.

But DHobi has already retired from Tests hasn't he?

But DHobi has already retired from Tests hasn't he?

Yes and that's because he and BCCI could afford to. As I said, Test cricket is the least popular format atm. Dhoni had, even as Test captain, mentioned that he would likely give up Test cricket to focus on LOI and prolong his career, which he has. He hit peak success as Test captain around 2009-2010, and after that it was a steady decline with a few sparks here and there. 

LOI cricket is what generates the most money  these days and despite 4 consecutive ODI series losses, it doesn't look like Dhoni is going anywhere until ,maybe, post the T20 WC.

Edited by jalebi_bhai

Yes and that's because he and BCCI could afford to. As I said, Test cricket is the least popular format atm. Dhoni had, even as Test captain, mentioned that he would likely give up Test cricket to focus on LOI and prolong his career, which he has. He hit peak success as Test captain around 2009-2010, and after that it was a steady decline with a few sparks here and there. 

LOI cricket is what generates the most money  these days and despite 4 consecutive ODI series losses, it doesn't look like Dhoni is going anywhere until maybe the T20 WC.

I think we must have lost more than 4 Test series consecutively abroad? Hence, it will be a long time before Dhobi quits ODI captaincy of his own accord.

I think we must have lost more than 4 Test series consecutively abroad? Hence, it will be a long time before Dhobi quits ODI captaincy of his own accord.

With regards to Tests, it was really the TINA factor that kept him as captain. Other options were Gambhir, Sehwag and Zaheer. Intl form deserted Viru and Gauti and fitness deserted Zaheer. Kohli was not ready.

I strongly believe that Dhoni must redefine his role in the team. He is still one of the best LOI batsmen in the country. He should decide whether he wants to be an accumulator or a finisher. Half-assing both won't help his cause.

With regards to Tests, it was really the TINA factor that kept him as captain. Other options were Gambhir, Sehwag and Zaheer. Intl form deserted Viru and Gauti and fitness deserted Zaheer. Kohli was not ready.

I strongly believe that Dhoni must redefine his role in the team. He is still one of the best LOI batsmen in the country. He should decide whether he wants to be an accumulator or a finisher. Half-assing both won't help his cause.

Whilst I agree with you on mostly everything, I don't think that the Iceman has the ability to be a full-fledged finisher. He is best suited for 4 (not even 5), but that would mean that Pandey/Rahane/someone will need to bat at 6, and despite Pandey's commendable SR and finishing, I'm not sure if he's ready for that task. When one looks back at MSD, I can't help but feel that the man played in the wrong position for the most part of his career, and still did a very good job. He was a natural 4 or 5, but he ended at 6 or 7 mostly.

Whilst I agree with you on mostly everything, I don't think that the Iceman has the ability to be a full-fledged finisher. He is best suited for 4 (not even 5), but that would mean that Pandey/Rahane/someone will need to bat at 6, and despite Pandey's commendable SR and finishing, I'm not sure if he's ready for that task. When one looks back at MSD, I can't help but feel that the man played in the wrong position for the most part of his career, and still did a very good job. He was a natural 4 or 5, but he ended at 6 or 7 mostly.

I actually completely agree with you about Dhoni's diminishing ability as a finisher. Was sadly evident in last year's IPL. Baz and Smith's form sort of masked it. In his prime, he was capable of doing both roles. It's a tough decision which, thankfully, I don't have to make.

I'm not sold on Pandey either but he has earned himself a fair opportunity. Not sure he would be effective below number 5. 

I actually completely agree with you about Dhoni's diminishing ability as a finisher. Was sadly evident in last year's IPL. Baz and Smith's form sort of masked it. In his prime, he was capable of doing both roles. It's a tough decision which, thankfully, I don't have to make.

I'm not sold on Pandey either but he has earned himself a fair opportunity. Not sure he would be effective below number 5. 

Yes, I fully concur with you. Pandey should bat at 5 and Dhobi at 4. If they want Rahane they should think of making him open. If only Nohit could bat well at 6 as well as he's been opening, he's the right person - he's one of the best six-hitters in the world. The problem is that he's a slow-ish starter typically and requires time to get going.

In fact, I don't see a way out of our conundrum. We don't have any capable Nos. 6 or 7. If Yuvi and Raina hadn't lost their form, they would have been ideal at 6 and 7 respectively. For now, I think that our best chances of optimizing strategy is to stick with Rahane at 4, and alternate pandey and Dhobi at 5 and 6, and see who fits where best.

BCCI can carry on having Dhoni as captain, hope he doesn't looses too many matches otherwise Indian public will get angry and directs its anger on Modi Govt instead... Modi doesn't want another unnecessary issue. Modi would like public to be happy atleast cricket wise.. He might have to intervene and take BCCI to task... BCCI should be aware of it...

I hope Dhoni doesn't complain of too much "Intolerance" of Indian public towards him... Kejri might jump in his support along all other Modi enemies... :nervous: