Who do you prefer at no.4 in ODIs? Manish or Ajinkya?

Lannister

For me rahane doesn't fit into the odi team unless he opens. He lacks strike rotation skills which is a must for an odi middle order player. Also he lacks bit hitting skills if he happens to bat after 40th over.

I have doubts over pandeys technique. From what I have seen so far of him, he can;t play the moving ball. Not just anderson kind of movement, but even small movement in air or off the pitch, he seems to struggle. So we can;t trust a technically poor player at #4. Probably #5 coz by then the ball would become a bit old and more often he will come into bat at later stages of the innings. His good temperament and big hitting skills can be an asset at the position.

For #4 position we should find someone who is technically strong to start with, then should have superb strike rotation skills which is a must for odis and ability to hit big if the situation demands.

One candidate I can suggest for #4 is Iyer.

For me rahane doesn't fit into the odi team unless he opens. He lacks strike rotation skills which is a must for an odi middle order player. Also he lacks bit hitting skills if he happens to bat after 40th over.

I have doubts over pandeys technique. From what I have seen so far of him, he can;t play the moving ball. Not just anderson kind of movement, but even small movement in air or off the pitch, he seems to struggle. So we can;t trust a technically poor player at #4. Probably #5 coz by then the ball would become a bit old and more often he will come into bat at later stages of the innings. His good temperament and big hitting skills can be an asset at the position.

For #4 position we should find someone who is technically strong to start with, then should have superb strike rotation skills which is a must for odis and ability to hit big if the situation demands.

One candidate I can suggest for #4 is Iyer.

Rahane may learn strike rotation over time. R Dravid was a pretty poor ODI player in the beginning, but he improved and became a very valuable player in the middle order for Ind. Rahane has more strokes than Dravid does. Given him a long run at a settled position (preferably 4) and he can do fine. I agree with you on Pandey - Iyer should play at 5 instead of him.

It's not just about the strike rate, but also the number of low scores. What those stats didn't show you is that apart from those played against West Indies, Zimababwe and Ireland, India lost in all other matches. He's neither a finisher nor an accumulator. We can't afford to play both Dhoni and Rahane at the same time. 

We can afford to play 1 of these 2 though, and Dhobi is likely to leave soon.

It's not just about the strike rate, but also the number of low scores. What those stats didn't show you is that apart from those played against West Indies, Zimababwe and Ireland, India lost in all other matches. He's neither a finisher nor an accumulator. We can't afford to play both Dhoni and Rahane at the same time. 

The first reason why I want Rahane in the team is because he is a player who is showing constant improvement...which gives me hope that he will improve further  in ODIs too as he has done in the last 6 months.

Second reason is because he is capable of playing pace, bounce, seam and swing...perhaps the only  batsman who can play swing in this ODI team. In conditions where there is swing and seam, I would want him in my team.

Thirdly,..he has played some very good knocks in the last 2 series vs SA and Australia and also a very aggressive knock in WC vs SA  in Australia. He averages 48.5 in these 2 series with SR of 96.7 and these are 2 of the best opponents.

From ESPNCRICINFO : Link below

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/277916.html?class=2;spanmin1=01+Oct+2015;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

- other -      All Test/ODI/T20I      Youth Tests      Youth ODIs     
Records type batting analysis [change type]
View innings by innings list [change view]
Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Oct 2015 remove greater than or equal to 1 Oct 2015 from query
Ordered by start date (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Career averages
 MatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR1005004s6s 
unfiltered67652209311133.22262979.61215620524Profile
filtered9803888948.5040196.75050345
Edited by express bowling

The first reason why I want Rahane in the team is because he is a player who is showing constant improvement...which gives me hope that he will improve further  in ODIs too as he has done in the last 6 months.

Second reason is because he is capable of playing pace, bounce, seam and swing...perhaps the only  batsman who can play swing in this ODI team. In conditions where there is swing and seam, I would want in my team.

Thirdly,..he has played some very good knocks in the last 2 series vs SA and Australia and also a very aggressive knock in WC vs SA  in Australia. He averages 48.5 in these 2 series with SR of 96.7 and these are 2 of the best opponents.

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/277916.html?class=2;spanmin1=01+Oct+2015;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=innings

- other -      All Test/ODI/T20I      Youth Tests      Youth ODIs     
Records type batting analysis [change type]
View innings by innings list [change view]
Start of match date greater than or equal to 1 Oct 2015 remove greater than or equal to 1 Oct 2015 from query
Ordered by start date (ascending)
dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu
Career averages
 MatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR1005004s6s 
unfiltered67652209311133.22262979.61215620524Profile
filtered9803888948.5040196.75050345

We need at least one Dravid-esque player and Rahane is our best bet in this regard. I think that's certainly improving as you noted.

Btw Rahane has made 2096 runs from 65 innings out of 67 he has played. That's pretty decent when you look at how he is always gefs shuffled in playing 11. Here is hoping he becomes a very consistent batsman and improves his game.

I want Pandey in all three formats as well.

Wouldn't want him in Tests, and possibly not even in T20s. He's not better than Rahane, Kohli, Pujara in Tests and these 3 constitute our middle order. If we need an extra batsman, I'd prefer it to be Iyer.

Edited by Vijy

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-article/pandey-good-no-5-now-feels-dhoni/198521

So dhoni Feels Pandey is gud at 5. 

Which means Rahane -4, pandey -5, dhoni -6 and since no one bowls in top order. we dnt have 6th bowler so we ll have to play jadeja/rishi for 10 over quota instead of pandya about whom m nt sure that will he b able to give 10 over starightaway with less domestic exp . 

So that means again batting lacks firepower in lower order.

Rahane 4, dhoni 6, Rishi/Jadeja -7 easily minus 30 runs from our total. 

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-article/pandey-good-no-5-now-feels-dhoni/198521

Which means Rahane -4, pandey -5, dhoni -6 and since no one bowls in top order. we dnt have 6th bowler so we ll have to play jadeja/rishi for 10 over quota instead of pandya about whom m nt sure that will he b able to give 10 over starightaway with less domestic exp . 

True. Maybe they should think along unorthodox lines and send one of the tail to slog instead... like Ummi.

Well I don't see any reason why Pandya won't do better than Rishi Dhawan who looks innocuous with his dibbly dobbly slow medium pace bowling. There's absolutely no chance he would have found place in the international side for any top side other than India. We have a dearth of all rounders and the 'all rounders' that we select are substandard both in bowling and batting.

As far as Jadeja is concerned there's a good chance that someone like Pandya can out perform him overseas conditions. But yeah, in SC it could be a lot different especially when we are considering the inclusion of 2 spinners in the side. Batting wise Jadeja is hopeless. 
Anyways we'll have to be a bit patient with Pandya and hopefully he can play to his potential 

Well I don't see any reason why Pandya won't do better than Rishi Dhawan who looks innocuous with his dibbly dobbly slow medium pace bowling. There's absolutely no chance he would have found place in the international side for any top side other than India. We have a dearth of all rounders and the 'all rounders' that we select are substandard both in bowling and batting.
 As far as Jadeja is concerned there's a good chance that someone like Pandya can out perform him overseas conditions. But yeah, in SC it could be a lot different especially when we are considering the inclusion of 2 spinners in the side. Batting wise Jadeja is hopeless. 
Anyways we'll have to be a bit patient with Pandya and hopefully he can play to his potential 

It's funny how everyone is so certain that Pandya is our answer to Everything. Reminds me of all that LR Shukla hype in the 90s.

The reason m nt sure about pandya is coz he has just bowled 1-2 season of domestic

The case with rishi, binny was they had a lot of bowling exp behind them in domestic.

A 5th bowler may nt get wkts but atleast u hope he doesnt leak to many runs. 

So m nt sure in that reg for Pandya.  He will surely develop with time as a full quota bowler. But i feel till then a sixth bowler in raina/mann/ hooda/yuvraj cud b better. And all of them do add flair to batting at 5

It's funny how everyone is so certain that Pandya is our answer to Everything. Reminds me of all that LR Shukla hype in the 90s.

Well what are the other options that we have in the all rounder category? R Dhawan, Binny, Jadeja?
There's at least a chance with Pandya. The rest are useless. Jadeja is useful in the SC and that is about it. 

Well what are the other options that we have in the all rounder category? R Dhawan, Binny, Jadeja?
There's at least a chance with Pandya. The rest are useless. Jadeja is useful in the SC and that is about it. 

Xactly which are other options. Specially someone who cud really the power hitter. 

I dnt c nyone better than pandya as a power hitter who could bowl as well

I know that we have no genuine options available. What I do find strange though is how people are hyping up Pandya before he's been given sufficient chances.

I know that we have no genuine options available. What I do find strange though is how people are hyping up Pandya before he's been given sufficient chances.

Yeah probably that is because there's not much he needs to do to outperform the other 'all rounders' that had played for us. Whether his inclusion would make a significant difference to our results is a different story.