Did Sri ever breach the 155 kmph mark?

Vijy

It has been fairly well established that Srinath bowled over 150 kmph at least once. In the '99 WC, he bowled the second fastest delivery (154.5 kmph) in the tourney after Akhtar. However, I recently read an unsubstantiated claim that Srinath had touched 157 kmph during a Zim tour:

http://www.screwup-bureau.com/2015/05/india-fastest-fast-bowlers.html
http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/NATIONAL/ZIM/NEWS/ARTICLES_OLD/CAMPBELL_INTERVIEW_APR1997.html

Does any one recall this tour? (I don't) And if so, how fast was he on that tour and in general (i.e. at his fastest ever)?

Edited by Vijy

I had read a newspaper column at that time that Srinath had bowled one delivery at 156.5 k. This was substantiated later in an article in espncricinfo written by Alistair Campbell of Zimbabwe.

Srinath was bowling really quick around 1994 to 1996. He was at his fastest in 1996 I think, in England and in SA.

I think Srinath bowled 140 k to 150 k regularly till early 1997, when he had his rotator cuff operation and slowed down substantially. But even then he bowled 135 k to 143 k spells often, with good bounce, even during his last year.

Edited by express bowling

In 99 WC, Srinath bowled at a fastest of 149.6kph, not 154. Shoaib bowled at 154.5kph.

Srinath was officially clocked at 152kph in New Zealand tour of 98 and 157kph against zimbabwe at bulawayo in 96-97

No, he certainly clocked 96 mph... you can find this in several extant reports, including fairly reputable sources, if you Google for this fact.

I think that it truly establishes the fact that Sri was India's fastest pacer ever (except perhaps for Mohd. Nissar who was from pre-independence India from the Pakistan area).

It was very frustrating to watch Srinath, he had pace n bounce but he was a brainless Bowler most of his career except for last 20% of his career, he could get movement, bounce,but always bowled very short n did not get the edges, also he had no decent new ball partners, n Sachin over bowled him n caused his injury.

Srinath was never aggressive or terrifying in general but for a few instances if at all, Zaheer is the only aggressive paced I have seen from India till date n he too had fitness issues n took forever to get into prime form.

People who romanticize about Agarkar, lol he was a joke, did not know what his go to delivery was, kept on aiming for the pads, was very mediocre, and mostly bowled Lollypops between 132 to 138 kph

I was watching each and every second of that match and the whole series. Only for Srinath. His fastest was at 93mph ( 149.6) I dont know some idiots post on net without having proper knowledge.

I agree...his fastest in the 1999 World Cup was 93 mph or 149.6 kph.   He was second fastest in that WC after Akhtar, who clocked 154.x  kph

iwm6iw.png 

A pic = A 1000 words 

Srinath :two_thumbs_up:

Srinath was a genuine fast and bouncy bowler playing for India for the first time after maybe Nissar ( don't really know how quick Nissar was )

In his first 3 or 4 years, the captains did not know how to set proper fields  for quick bowlers ...he bowled without a short leg most of the times even though his primary delivery then was an incoming bouncy delivery at the ribs which often popped up at short leg. His slips were often not deep enough etc. Along with this he lacked an opening bowler to support him and he was not matured enough too.

These factors made his stats somewhat less impressive between 1991 to 1994....and they improved vastly after Srinath matured and Indian captains became more adept at placing fielders for genuine bouncy quicks.

It was very frustrating to watch Srinath, he had pace n bounce but he was a brainless Bowler most of his career except for last 20% of his career, he could get movement, bounce,but always bowled very short n did not get the edges, also he had no decent new ball partners, n Sachin over bowled him n caused his injury.

Srinath was never aggressive or terrifying in general but for a few instances if at all, Zaheer is the only aggressive paced I have seen from India till date n he too had fitness issues n took forever to get into prime form.

People who romanticize about Agarkar, lol he was a joke, did not know what his go to delivery was, kept on aiming for the pads, was very mediocre, and mostly bowled Lollypops between 132 to 138 kph

It's easy to call bowlers brainless. IIIRC he himself said that he knew bowling short won't work but it was very difficult to change the natural length.

iwm6iw.png 

A pic = A 1000 words 

Srinath :two_thumbs_up:

I knew this stat. Srinath was probably one of the best fast bowlers ( although never recognized, was recognized mostly by SA as genuine fast and world class bowler ). Surprisingly, he was better than Waqar and Wasim during 95-2001. 

Waqar was what he was more because of his first 3 yrs in cricket ( although I havent checked the stat ). But he lost it as he grew older. While Srinath evolved, became better and was almost unplayable during the last 2 yrs of his career. I respect players who grow with time, not the ones who bounce at the beginning and then fade out. Much like Agarkar.

I knew this stat. Srinath was probably one of the best fast bowlers ( although never recognized, was recognized mostly by SA as genuine fast and world class bowler ). Surprisingly, he was better than Waqar and Wasim during 95-2001. 

Waqar was what he was more because of his first 3 yrs in cricket ( although I havent checked the stat ). But he lost it as he grew older. While Srinath evolved, became better and was almost unplayable during the last 2 yrs of his career. I respect players who grow with time, not the ones who bounce at the beginning and then fade out. Much like Agarkar.

Well said.

Looking at the way Broad is running through the batting line ups today, I wonder how many wickets would Srinath have got if he was playing today.

Both very similar type of bowlers, however Srinath bowled to the likes of Atherton, Alec Stewart, Slater, Blewett, Waugh all top players of seam bowling.

Looking at the way Broad is running through the batting line ups today, I wonder how many wickets would Srinath have got if he was playing today.

Both very similar type of bowlers, however Srinath bowled to the likes of Atherton, Alec Stewart, Slater, Blewett, Waugh all top players of seam bowling.

Blewett was certainly not a top players. Most of the others were decent but hardly great batsman (except Tugga Waugh).