Dhoni pleased with allrounders stepping up

Ironhide

Good to see that Dhoni is not discarding Hardik Pandya and seems to be fond of him and other batsmen who can ball a bit like Yuvraj and Raina. A bowler needs captain's backing and confidence to do do well.  Dhoni's comments:

"Allrounders are important. If Hardik doesn't bowl me four overs in every game; even if he gives two overs or three overs, I can still use others."

"What I don't want is top five or top six batters, including the keeper, where you don't have a bowling option. If somebody goes for runs, you don't really know what to do. In this format, you will have bowlers going for runs. At that time, you want your part-time allrounders to come in and give you that one over because that one over can help.

"We will wait and watch how it goes. I think it's important to have players like Yuvraj Singh who can bowl and bat, Suresh Raina, who can bowl and bat. Because if you have too many one-dimensional players in your top order it becomes really difficult when someone has a bad day."

When it comes to international cricket it is all about handling the pressure," Dhoni said. "Once you are given the ball, there is some pressure on you because it's your first game and you don't know what kind of bounce is there or what kind of pace is there. There would be some kind of pressure. After the first over I knew the second over would be better. I was happy with the second and third over. Still he [Pandya] will have to be more consistent with line and length. That will give me a lot of confidence to consistently play him as the third seamer when the need arises."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-india-2015-16/content/story/965761.html#

I don't think Rishi Dhawan is international material either and I sympathize with Dhoni for having Rishi and Sran instead of Pandya and Bumrah in the ODI series.

But, a captain should not put down a young player in public. It is not good for the morale of the team. He should have communicated his displeasure to the selectors in private, which he almost surely did. 

Just think if I or you were Rishi Dhawan, how would we feel.  It is not Rishi's fault that he has been selected. He looked like an honest trier with very limited ability.

The Rishi Dhawan incidence was not the first such incidence either.

May be your right , but it also may not be easy losing matches with a side you are not happy with .

Most times he was just answering to a question repeatedly asked by the media , why dont you play xyz player ? 

May be your right , but it also may not be easy losing matches with a side you are not happy with .

Most times he was just answering to a question repeatedly asked by the media , why dont you play xyz player ? 

I completely disagree with this. He and the selectors met together to pick the side. At least that's how sides are picked generally.

I think he liked Pandya instead of Rishi & Binny.After a horrendous first over ,I would like to appreciate Dhoni for giving full confidence to Pandya by giving him more overs.

He really stood by him in his difficult situation & handle him properly otherwise Pandya would have been remembered as the guy who gave 19 runsi n his 1st over.Now he has figure of 2 wickets for 35 runs in 3 overs

Mark my words, Pandya is the real deal. I know people are going ga ga over Bumrah, but I am more than sure that it is Pandya who is going to be a world class player and also more than just a decent fast medium bowler.

From what I have seen in FC cricket, yeah, he is confident and wants to take on the game. He is someone worth investing.

Mark my words, Pandya is the real deal. I know people are going ga ga over Bumrah, but I am more than sure that it is Pandya who is going to be a world class player and also more than just a decent fast medium bowler.

I remember when Dhoni made his debut. Came with this huge expectation , had miserable debut but then innings against pak and sl I think , changed it all. We got a keeper who could hit big. The only man back then who scored quicker than sehwag.

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk

I remember when Dhoni made his debut. Came with this huge expectation , had miserable debut but then innings against pak and sl I think , changed it all. We got a keeper who could hit big. The only man back then who scored quicker than sehwag.

Sent from my SM-A500G using Tapatalk

No it was against bangladesh, he got runout at 0. N now he is one the best wen it comes to running btw wkts in world

but yea a lot of player had a disastor debuts, Kl rahul the last i rem. Raina i also rem got out on 0.

Pandya for sure is someone with a lot of potential and someone we need 

Dhoni's debut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iV_WyAlRTo

We've been missing a seam-bowling allrounder for a long time since Irfan Pathan, and Pandya seems to fit the role nicely in both ODIs and T20s. The Kaptaan's backing is crucial for his future in the side.

Dhoni Ain't staying more than a year .Kholi backs him and that's good.

who knows kholi might even try him in tests abroad if he does well in T20's and ODI's.. 

Dhoni Ain't staying more than a year .Kholi backs him and that's good.

who knows kholi might even try him in tests abroad if he does well in T20's and ODI's.. 

Not sure about his efficacy in the longer formats, haven't watched him in the domestics. Bowling in Tests is a whole different ball game - ability to take wickets at a good SR, move the new ball, reverse the older ball, having the stamina and not losing steam after the first spell, etc. I feel T20s, ODIs and then Tests will be a good progression for a developing upcomer like Hardik.

It seems Pandya is more of a batsman who can bowl a bit, and a power-hitter to boot.  His hitting abilities, if translated to the international level,would take the pressure off of Dhoni to be the lone slugger down the order.  Contrast that with Rishi Dhawan who is more of a bowler who can bat a bit.  Pandya fits the team needs slightly better, thats probably why Dhoni said nicer words about him.  Dhawan's bowling wasn't good enough to be the 3rd seamer, and his batting is just OK.  

Regarding Dhoni's statements about players - I think the years of shouldering the captaincy burden and the constant irritations of dealing with desi press and their retarded questions and articles are starting to show - Dhoni circa 2010, would never slag his players publicly, ever - more likely to say some inane thing with a big smile to deal with BS leading questions - Today, he's more likely to lose patience, and let some of his personal feelings slip through, especially when he's personally feeling the heat. 

Not sure about his efficacy in the longer formats, haven't watched him in the domestics. Bowling in Tests is a whole different ball game - ability to take wickets at a good SR, move the new ball, reverse the older ball, having the stamina and not losing steam after the first spell, etc. I feel T20s, ODIs and then Tests will be a good progression for a developing upcomer like Hardik.

When Binny can play why not pandya?(And that saying only if he plays well in ODIs and T20s)

Maybe his fearless hitting skills can help India .Quick fire 30-40 in the modern game seems more helpful than tuk-tuk 5 or 6 runs. most test matches India play on foreign soil don't go into the 5th day.So no point in having tuk-tuk players at no 6 and 7 . Top order batsmen need to do that job. Also Jadeja as an allrounder in ENG or AUS doesn't seem to be working . Don't see any reason why 'aggressive' Kholi wouldn't wanna try Pandya if he clicks in ODI's And T20.