Parthiv Patel to join India squad as back-up for Dhoni

Mosher

With 3 openers (Kohli) already in starting XI, and 4th (Rahane) on the bench, now we have a 5th.  Parthiv is not a power hitter and cannot fit anywhere except opening.  

All new bats want to be the next SRT/Kohli/Sharma - noone wants to be the next Raina - why play the high-risk low reward game, even if thats what the team needs.  Glory and star-dom goes to the top players anyway.  

Parthiv Patel has a SR of 113.9 in the IPL.

http://www.iplt20.com/teams/mumbai-indians/squad/44/Parthiv-Patel/

Why has he been chosen as a lower-middle order batsman + keeper  for T20I   ?

Our top 4 batsmen are fixed and he does not have much chance there.

Some selections make us  :banghead: :banghead:

Parthiv is a bad 20-20 player and can only open the batting to even survive in an IPL team, and everybody and their dog knows India's top order is packed and there's no way Parthiv can be fit in there.

D.Karthik, N.Ojha and W.Saha are other keeper-batsmen and all of them are used to playing in the middle order. I don't think all of them are in bad form.

Other option was to compromise a bit on the keeping and go for a batsman who can keep, like Uthappa. May be it's risky considering there'd be lot of spin bowling.

Parthiv was selected because he did ok in SMA trophy recently. But this a stupid selection. Are there no young WK batsman in India? Samson is not in good form. How about giving some youngster like Rishabh Pant a chance?

What has Rishab Pant done outside of u-19 to merit national selection?  That's a bit much.  But Parthiv is not a good fit in the team, unless the spasm is minor and this is strictly a squad selection doled out as a reward for consistent domestic level performances - which to Parthiv's credit, he does have.  In a genuine scenario - anyone out of Karthik/Ojha/Uthappa etc would have been a better pick.  

People tend to forget that Dhoni is a fantastic keeper. The fastest behind the stumps I have seen. Lets be honest in a T20 game 8 out of 10 times his batting wont be required (hope so). But we will miss his captaincy and keeping badly.

BTW will he continue to stay with the team?? Or fly back home?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Its not a serious injury. Parthiv is only a back-up in case Dhoni is not fit by match day.