When will Dhoni and the selectors learn their lessons

zen

It would have been tougher for Ind to win this game vs a stronger batting side which would probably have scored at least 50% more than Pak

The pitch was green but again the playing 11 had only 2 seamers! While Pak crumbled under pressure and anyone who had the ball in his hand picked up wkts, good batting sides would have played relatively much better against the spinners on this surface and put on a good total more often than not .... By bowling spinners for relatively longer, Ind did not a) go for the kill and b) allowed the game to drift  

If Ind cannot back its pace bowlers on surfaces like this one, where would it? Selectors too could have shown the foresight of picking an additional pace bowler in place of either Bhajji or Negi 

I think that T20s are a lot closer to Tests in approach where the team has to look at picking up wkts most of the time. And to do that the team has to pick bowlers who are suited to the conditions. For the team to play such bowlers, the selectors also have to pick the squad smartly 

At the moment, it appears as if it is just the talent and form of some key players that is pulling India through, along with fielding which is outstanding 

Edited by rett

I dont think selection was that flawed - Pandya bowled OK on the pitch. The guy who would have been dropped for another seamer, Jadeja took 2 wickets and ran out Afridi with a brilliant throw...

On the other hand, Yuvi did the job for the team, but looks a shadow of his former self.  At this rate, he is the weak link in that batting lineup.  T20 is merciless, it will cost us at some point...

We needed 4 fast bowlers on this pitch. 

Quite simple really

What is mind blogging is that why is this so difficult to understand for those who have a big say in picking the 11 and the team

As I said in the OP, In these conditions it is hard to see top batting sides folding up against the spinners more often than not like Pak. If not for pressure of playing against Ind, Pak probably would have got more too 

Afridi when speaking to Raja - "There was not much for the spinners"

Edited by rett

What is mind blogging is that why is that so difficult to understand this for those who have a big say in picking the 11 and the team

As I said in the OP, I is hard to see top batting sides folding up against the spinners more often than not like Pak. If not for pressure of playing against Ind, Pak probably would have got more too 

Exactly.  Against a good batting side we would have lost with only 3 fast bowlers on this pitch.

Dhoni saying in his post-match interview that he will continue to play 2 spinners in this tournament......after saying that this pitch had a lot pacers and not much for spinners.       :hmmm:

If more matches are played eventually the pitch could assist spinners as well. But from a strategy and tactics PoV, going with only 2 seamers in the games so far was dumb

If he is good to play in both Tests and T20s, I think that a Test captain should lead T20s as the approach in both format is to be attacking on the field and less formulaic 

If more matches are played eventually the pitch could assist spinners as well. But from a strategy and tactics PoV, going with only 2 seamers in the games so far was dumb

If he is good to play in both Tests and T20s, I think that a Test captain should lead T20s as the approach in both format is to be attacking on the field and less formulaic 

If the pitches become spin friendly later on then I don't think the question of playing the extra seamer would arise at all.

But I don't think all matches will be played on the same pitch...and by the looks of it till now...the Bangladeshis will try to provide green-tops in every match.

If the pitches become spin friendly later on then I don't think the question of playing the extra seamer would arise at all.

But I don't think all matches will be played on the same pitch...and by the looks of it till now...the Bangladeshis will try to provide green-tops in every match.

If that is the case, Ind needs to send one or two of the test match quick bowlers to BD in place 

Edited by rett

With the way Bhuvi is bowling right now, these kind of pitches are the only ones where he is likely to be successful. 

If he doesn't play here then barring an injury will he play anywhere else in the Asia Cup or the World Cup to follow? if anything the pitches in India are unlikely to be as helpful and Dhoni anyway prefers to keep the same eleven.

The problem is we can't let go sir. Jaddu.. he contributes with ball fielding and a much better batsmen than anyone we can replace. . Bhuvi needs to be in team but who will we sit out ??

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Well if you don't want to drop Jaddu, you will have to drop one of the struggling batsmen. The idea is to play an 11 that is in the best position to take advantage of the conditions. On a flat surface, a batsman could be more usedul. On such wkts, it would be a seamer. So the choice is b/w someone who can score 10 runs or someone who can pick up 2-3 wkts cheaply and help to win the game 

I said,Team is selected on the basis of it...

Jaddu did okay...Bhuvi could have done better.But his previous few matches tells different picture..He has lost his swing.Dhoni would surely play Shami if he is available.

Where were the previous few matched played?

What is mind blogging is that why is that so difficult to understand this for those who have a big say in picking the 11 and the team

As I said in the OP, I is hard to see top batting sides folding up against the spinners more often than not like Pak. If not for pressure of playing against Ind, Pak probably would have got more too 

What good did Pak achieve with 4 quicks?  Its not like we benched Mohammed Amir for jadeja.