Stuge

World cup almost over for India

If NZ loses to Australia and say Pakistan and defeats Bangladesh ...then they would have only 2 wins.

If Aus loses to us and wins  the rest then they would have 3 wins.

If Pakistan defeats Bangladesh  and NZ and loses to Aus and us then they have only 2 wins.  If BD defeats them then they will have only 1 win.

BD either loses all or defeats Pak.

We have to win all 3 games left.

isn't that a possibility ?

If BD defeats NZ and Pak...even then it is ok.

That's a possibility too. Bottom line is that one or two of the teams would have to win but not win too many

Already posted a scenario 1 hr ago ..... Some thing similar (3 teams with equal wins) happened in WT20 in 2012 .... And that was Group 2 too :cantstop:

Group 2[edit]

Team[19]PldWLNRNRRPts
23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.png Australia3210+0.4644
23px-Flag_of_Pakistan.svg.png Pakistan3210+0.2724
23px-Flag_of_India.svg.png India3210-0.2744
23px-Flag_of_South_Africa.svg.png South Africa3030-0.4210

PS in that tourney, it was a bad loss to Aus that did Ind: 

16th Match, Group 2: Australia v India at Colombo (RPS) - Sep 28, 2012

India 140/7 (20/20 ov); Australia 141/1 (14.5/20 ov) 

India was supposed to qualify when a miracle big win of Pak against Aus and India not able to Secure big win against SA changed the whole story

India was supposed to qualify when a miracle big win of Pak against Aus and India not able to Secure big win against SA changed the whole story

I remember that day. Pakistan had almost qualified and put pressure on India to win by 16 overs. Unfortunately, we batted first in that game after losing the toss and that changed everything. As I said, that was a forgettable World Cup.

With NZ taking a good lead on NRR, our best case scenario would be to win all remaining matches (obviously),  with one large-margin win preferably against Australia..

If we can peg back Aus on NRR, we can get back to NRR neutral and Aus would be under pressure to get one big win to neutralize their loss to us..

I remember that day. Pakistan had almost qualified and put pressure on India to win by 16 overs. Unfortunately, we batted first in that game after losing the toss and that changed everything. As I said, that was a forgettable World Cup.

Also remember in first game of Pakistan , a down and out Pakistan struggling at 76/7 in 14.3 chasing 134 vs SA , when UMar Gul played innings of lifetime by making 32 in 17  along with Umar Akmal , that result too gone very much against India

Also remember in first game of Pakistan , a down and out Pakistan struggling at 76/7 in 14.3 chasing 134 vs SA , when UMar Gul played innings of lifetime by making 32 in 17  along with Umar Akmal , that result too gone very much against India

True. I liked the fact that we still went on to win the final game which turned out to be inconsequential though. It spoke volumes about the team's tenacity. I remember when on the giant screen in Premadasa stadium it read "India are eliminated" once SA crossed the cutoff square for India to restrict. Very sad evening that.

Lets hope that NZ run riot in this WC by winning all their matches and other teams play so so cricket

England beat NZ in a warm up game few days back in a turning Eden Gardens wicket. This WT20 is really a roller coaster ride with anybody capable of beating anyone on the day.

Without the benefit of hindsight 

• 15th - NZ vs Ind - NZ (result out)
  • 16th - BD vs Pak at Kol on Mar 16th - BD can pull this one 
  • 17th - Aus vs NZ at D'shala - NZ might just do it esp with its bowling attack at D'shala
  • 19th -  Ind vs Pak at Kol - Ind
  • 21st - Aus vs BD at B'lore - Aus 
  • 22rd - NZ vs Pak at C'garh- 50/50 (On paper NZ, but Pak tends to lift its game vs NZ) 
  • 23rd - Ind vs BD at B'lore  - Ind
  • 25th - Aus vs Pak at C'garh - Aus
  • 26th - BD vs NZ at Kol - 50/50 (Kol pitch?)
  • 27th - Ind vs Aus at C'garh - 50/50

Team - Played - Won (or Likely to win) - 50/50 - Lost (or Likely to lose)

• NZ  - 4 - 2 - 2 - 0
  • Aus - 4 - 2 - 1 - 1
  • Ind - 4 - 2 - 1 - 1
  • BD -  4 - 1 - 1 - 2
  • Pak - 4 - 0 - 1 - 3

Based on the above^, as long as NZ wins most of its games, Ind vs Aus could be like a QF  :isalute:

Edited by rett

Without the benefit of hindsight 

• 15th - NZ vs Ind - NZ (result out)
  • 16th - BD vs Pak at Kol on Mar 16th - BD can pull this one 
  • 17th - Aus vs NZ at D'shala - NZ might just do it esp with its bowling attack at D'shala
  • 19th -  Ind vs Pak at Kol - Ind
  • 21st - Aus vs BD - Aus 
  • 22rd - NZ vs Pak - 50/50 
  • 23rd - Ind vs BD - Ind
  • 25th - Aus vs Pak - Aus
  • 26th - BD vs NZ - 50/50
  • 27th - Ind vs Aus - 50/50

Team - Played - Won (or Likely to win) - 50/50 - Lost (or Likely to lose)

• NZ  - 4 - 2 - 2 - 0
  • Aus - 4 - 2 - 1 - 1
  • Ind - 4 - 2 - 1 - 1
  • BD -  4 - 1 - 1 - 2
  • Pak - 4 - 1 - 1 - 2

Based on the above^, Ind vs Aus could be like a QF :isalute:

Awesome insight @rett

Edited by Adi_91

England beat NZ in a warm up game few days back in a turning Eden Gardens wicket. This WT20 is really a roller coaster ride with anybody capable of beating anyone on the day.

Warm up matches don't count , teams don't take them seriously. India did pretty well in warm up matches in 2009 but lost badly when needed

Warm up matches don't count , teams don't take them seriously. India did pretty well in warm up matches in 2009 but lost badly when needed

It gives you a sense of where the weaknesses lie. Clearly, playing spin was NZ's weakness. I am not sure if we utilized that advantage well last night.

It gives you a sense of where the weaknesses lie. Clearly, playing spin was NZ's weakness. I am not sure if we utilized that advantage well last night.

When No.1 spinner of world has figure of 1-32 on wicket where baby spinners of NZ were going 4-11, 3-18 then its clear we did not utlise that adavntage

When No.1 spinner of world has figure of 1-32 on wicket where baby spinners of NZ were going 4-11, 3-18 then its clear we did not utlise that adavntage

Actually to be fair, they took some chances and it came off. It was not that bowling long hops. 

Jaddu bowled a lot of wides though. Not that it cost us the game, but he could have done a bit better.

Actually to be fair, they took some chances and it came off. It was not that bowling long hops. 

Jaddu bowled a lot of wides though. Not that it cost us the game, but he could have done a bit better.

Yes they took chances but Ashwin too got wicket on 2nd ball , but after that he was unable to get any wicket and went for 26 runs ,so overall it was not good bowling by Ashwin.I don't think anytime I saw batsmen uncomfortable against Ashwin as Indian batsmen were looking against NZ spinners

@viper. You gotta give credit to NZ as well. But it was not a suitable T20 pitch to say the least. Hope we get a better pitch tomorrow

Will be an interesting one later today. 

Nah,we just need to win our next 3 games.Pakistan game has come just at the right time (just like in wt20 2012 where we were winless for 7 consecutive super 8 matches) ,need to up our game and then continue with the momentum .

If we win 3 ,we'll definitely go through because I am sure 3 teams wont be tied at 3 wins each ,even with this win I dont think nzl have guaranteed a place in the semis ,they might easily lose to pak or even Bangladesh lol. Just to be on the safe side,we need to win big against Bangladesh 

hahah ... make more turning pitches please :cantstop:

Sure. Anyway your team doesn't have any quality spinners. So how about your batsmen handling NZ spinners in a wicket like in Nagpur? Ready?

Its over folks. Khatam. Khatam. Unless our middle and lower middle order of Dotraj, Raina, jaddu and Pandey has to fire with bat to have any chances of beating Pak , Ban and Aus.

There is no Pandey in the squad. You mean Pandya?

Yes. Wish we had Manish Pandey to replace Yuvraj.

It was a dodgy decision. Something that I did not understand. The selectors went with Yuvi because of experience, but then he never set even the domestic scene by storm anyway. It was a shocking decision to select him ahead of someone who won India a game chasing in Aus, that too the highest ever chase in that country.

Maybe Pandey will feature in the ODI side. You never know.

Edited by Adi_91

Yuvi can give few overs if needed can pandey do that ? 

Yeah, tbh, yesterday Yuvi not bowling was also something to debate about. Maybe Dhoni relies on his batting more than the bowling?

Sorry but this tournament is over for us. I am sure one of the matches will be rained out or we lose 1. If India is out, I want one of SA or NZ to win the tournament. 

chill dude, this cup is going nowhere, we were just complacent yesterday. 

If we can peg back Aus on NRR, we can get back to NRR neutral and Aus would be under pressure to get one big win to neutralize their loss to us..

ind vs Aus is the last group game for both teams 

it would be quite funny if both Pak and Bd ends up winning 2 matches each then we have some real problem ... literally the toughest group we had to land into. 

All planned by ICC. they wanted some cracking matches in group stages itself so placed every strong team in the same group. Now there is no chance of a 2-non-popular-teams SF. one or the other Big nation will end up in the final.

Eden Gardens has not been kind to us when playing against pakistan.

Ajay Jadeja in is his analsys had said that India has advantage when we play bowler friendly wickets while Pak has advantage when we play batsmen friendly wicket.As you need good bowlers to bowl at batting friendly wicket which India don't have so Eden will clearly favour Pak

Ajay Jadeja in is his analsys had said that India has advantage when we play bowler friendly wickets while Pak has advantage when we play batsmen friendly wicket.As you need good bowlers to bowl at batting friendly wicket which India don't have so Eden will clearly favour Pak

if the pitch is any indication then india is doomed.

I just want to remind everyone that we have never won against Pakistan at Eden Gardens.  NEVER. 

I have a feeling that this will continue just like our record against NZ continues and our record in t20I at Nagpur.

:((

So, from now, all matches have to be won by a lesser margin than the one NZ won by yesterday?