Are we missing the bigger picture?

maniac

Our batting has been pretty horrendous for T20. We should be grateful to the bowlers who have often pulled us out from royal batting botchups in recent times. While chasing too, we have generally not had to chase big totals. 

Problem is our selection is still living in the past. Picking Yuvraj Singh in the hope that he will relive his past glory is just not right. He looks woefully out of place. Raina has been very average of late and Dhoni's hitting ability has greatly diminished. Our top order is more suitable to ODIs than T20s. There is no real enforcer here. No lower order hitter either. Hopefully Pandya will fill that gap. 

For T20, we must play players in form. There is no time to get a struggling player back in form. We should have been picking players like Iyer and Pandey. 

The only reason we have won some matches of late have been because of the bowlers and Kohli. The rest of the batting has been pretty shoddy. 

Edited by Texan

Raina, Dhoni and Yuvraj are not the power hitters they used to be.  So unless one of them gets lucky, or one of Rohit/Dhawan/Pandya plays really well, we will always be short on big hits and runs.  Kohli is great, but he is never going to play a 200+ strike rate innings.  

There is a spot open in this T20 team for a power hitter who can turn his arm over i.e. a Raina replacement.  This IPL will hopefully reveal a couple of contenders.  

Once Yuvi is replaced by Pandey, and maybe Dhawan by Shreyas Iyer, things will look a lot better.  

Raina, Dhoni and Yuvraj are not the power hitters they used to be.  So unless one of them gets lucky, or one of Rohit/Dhawan/Pandya plays really well, we will always be short on big hits and runs.  Kohli is great, but he is never going to play a 200+ strike rate innings.  

There is a spot open in this T20 team for a power hitter who can turn his arm over i.e. a Raina replacement.  This IPL will hopefully reveal a couple of contenders.  

Once Yuvi is replaced by Pandey, and maybe Dhawan by Shreyas Iyer, things will look a lot better.  

Wrong timing as he did good against the mighty Bangladesh but in t20 we will do a lot better once dhobi retires too

Both our openers are FTBs...therein lies the problem.

We need atleast 50 in the first 5-6 overs,Talent bats like the Professor when its not a flat track.

He would be better off coming in 3-4 down...

Dont know what are you on about. We got a good start against BD 40 plus for first wicket. Now you dont expect to score at 8-9 rpo on bowling pitches because no one really does that. If you try to play quick on such pitches, wickets are bound to fall. You can play according to the surface you are playing on. I dont know why people dont understand such simple things.

Dont know what are you on about. We got a good start against BD 40 plus for first wicket. Now you dont expect to score at 8-9 rpo on bowling pitches because no one really does that. If you try to play quick on such pitches, wickets are bound to fall. You can play according to the surface you are playing on. I dont know why people dont understand such simple things.

Even BD scored same or more runs in the first 6-7 overs..are you saying Tamim and Mithun are equally good?

I think Brian lara made a good point when he said not playing Harbhajan singh india is giving away atleast 20 runs every match. The wins vs Bangladesh and Pakistan would have been much bigger and the loss vs New Zealand would have been closer and their would be less talk here about how poorly Our batting is doing on pitches that are pretty difficult to score on.  

Edited by Silva

I think Brian lara made a good point when he said not playing Harbhajan singh india is giving away atleast 20 runs every match. The wins vs Bangladesh and Pakistan would have been much bigger and the loss vs New Zealand would have been closer and their would be less talk here about how poorly Our batting is doing on pitches that are pretty difficult to score on.  

Don't agree. Bhajji has not set the stage on fire after his comeback and there is very little evidence to believe that he could have made the wins more convincing.

Don't agree. Bhajji has not set the stage on fire after his comeback and there is very little evidence to believe that he could have made the wins more convincing.

The Pace bowlers bowling in the non PP overs and before the 16th over bowled 10 overs conceding 93 runs in 3 matches. Thats were a lot of the pressure release is happening on spinner friendly tracks, its hard to Imagine any spin bowler doing worse than that. 

The Pace bowlers bowling in the non PP overs and before the 16th over bowled 10 overs conceding 93 runs in 3 matches. Thats were a lot of the pressure release is happening on spinner friendly tracks, its hard to Imagine any spin bowler doing worse than that. 

yeah, but you don't want Bhajji to be just containing. It should be a wicket taking option to win matches. Bhajji at best contains, which is fine, but is nothing great.

I would happily take the overs of Raina for that.

yeah, but you don't want Bhajji to be just containing. It should be a wicket taking option to win matches. Bhajji at best contains, which is fine, but is nothing great.

I would happily take the overs of Raina for that.

but for some reason Dhoni is under bowling Raina and not even bowling yuvi. on spinner friendly tracks he is leaving 4-7 overs if spin off the table every match which is even more odd than not picking Bhajji. 

but for some reason Dhoni is under bowling Raina and not even bowling yuvi. on spinner friendly tracks he is leaving 4-7 overs if spin off the table every match which is even more odd than not picking Bhajji. 

Agree that we should have bowled more overs from the spinners. Maybe, he didn't do it against the SC teams. But may do it against Aus.

T20 should be only for youngsters... India's only win in T20 was with a set of youngsters in 2007. Its difficult to win with the same set of players 10 years later. Yuvi/Raina/Dhawan should have made way for the likes of Shreyas Iyer/ M. Pandey

+1. Oldies need to step aside and give a chance to the next generation.

Their batting scares me TBH. They bat all the way to number 10 with plenty of brutal hitters. Taking them on a flattish pitch is never a good idea and hopefully the pitch on Sunday for India game will be much more spin friendly.

Yeah. :((

All eyes will be on the pitch. It holds the key.

Even BD scored same or more runs in the first 6-7 overs..are you saying Tamim and Mithun are equally good?

Its T20. Anyone can score on his day. Also, BD batsmen played more freely. Our bowlers bowled badly while our openers played cautiously to not lose early wickets. BD knew the target, so, they played according to that even if they lose a wicket, they wanted to score quickly in PP. We could still have scored 160, were on course but we scored 11 runs between 16-18 overs after we lost 2-3 quick wickets

Sent from my MX5 using Tapatalk