Thinking behind instructing Pandya not to bowl yorkers?

kosingh

I am glad the strategy worked, but what was the thinking behind Dhoni asking Pandya not to bowl yorkers in the final overs? I assume that it was because Pandya can't be trusted to bowl yorkers and would instead deliver easy full tosses? Not that he bowled any good balls in the last over. All pies. But thank you BD.

Because if somebody expecting something, you have to do different. The plan was, let them work to score 11 runs in six bowls. Dhoni was expecting some slogs and they have to slog two balls to make up 11 runs. The slogs can be costly. They can not slog in yourkers if it was bumrah, then fine but pandya can not bowl yorkers as accurately as bumrah. Mahi explained all this in his press conference. He said that we do according to our bowler, the batsman on pitch and situation. You can not argue with winners. 

BD had taken 9 of 3 balls so had already done all the hard work that was required! .... Rahim had the game under control at that point. In stead of just knocking the ball around, he tried to hit 3 boundaries in the row but ended up getting out which put pressure on BD. The next ball was a full toss which again BD did not need to hit in the air

If this was strategy, God bless Ind!  

Edited by rett

BD had taken 9 of 3 balls so had already done all the hard work that was required! .... Rahim had the game under control at that point. In stead of just knocking the ball around, he tried to hit 3 boundaries in the row but ended up getting out which put pressure on BD. The next ball was a full toss which again BD did not need to hit in the air

If this was strategy, God bless Ind!  

I believe it could be because its possible to score a single from even a perfect yorker . And if its not accurate and as more fielders are close to the pitch, chances for two or 4 is much more.

I think its an excellent decision to not to go for a yorker there (the last ball).